Pete Prisco right on something... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pete Prisco right on something...

Same tired old argument, I have nothing left to give.

djfresh47 said:
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8524129

"There have been exceptions, but those teams (see the 2002 Baltimore Ravens) had to play extraordinary defense.

The 2004 playoffs were proof of the value of having a good quarterback. The final eight teams included a who's-who of quarterbacks, New England's Tom Brady, Indianapolis' Peyton Manning, Atlanta's Michael Vick and Philadelphia's Donovan McNabb among them.

If you have issues at quarterback, postseason play is almost always a fantasy."

Alot of fans on this site have disagreed with Prisco in the past, but this one does not really talk about Feeley. I think it is relevant though because if everyone just wants Aj to "not lose" a game, than you're gonna see the team won't go far, or even make the playoffs. This is not a bashing Aj thing at all, I will just say that if the Phins want to be an elite team than Aj is gonna have to become a very good Qb, which will be obvious to most, but to others who believe he can just be there to manage the game they're mistaken.

the final 4 teams also had dominant rushing attacks, all except philadelphia...

atlanta - 1st in league
pittsburgh - 2nd in league
new england - 7th in league

the point is you need a good TEAM... who was the best QB last year who possibly had the best season of any QB ever? and did his team win the superbowl even with a great running game? no...

point is its a team game, you need more than just a good qb, you need mor ethan just a good RB, more than just good CBs you need a good team overall, ltes stop focusin on one position and realize its a team game and all the cogs need to be working together

AlanSaysYo said:
Mentioning Michael Vick in the same sentence as Manning and Brady makes me want to lose my lunch. That aside...

I'm still going to believe that the system can make AJ a good QB. Remember Fiedler's first two years with Chan Gailey? He wasn't Joe Montana, but he was getting the job done. He was making plays. If Fiedler could look good in even just one system, I believe that AJ, a guy who showed a lot of guts last year in a horrible system with no running game and no line, can look good in Linehan's system.

I agree, as far as passing accuracy, Vick is probably not as good as Feeley, although Vick is fast enough to keep a defender in the box at most times.

Secondly, while I agree Gailey made the most use of Fiedler's talents, it only worked for a couple of seasons mostly because teams figured out if you make Jay stay in the pocket and put any pressure on him, he sux.

djfresh47 said:

"There have been exceptions, but those teams (see the 2002 Baltimore Ravens) had to play extraordinary defense.

The 2004 playoffs were proof of the value of having a good quarterback. The final eight teams included a who's-who of quarterbacks, New England's Tom Brady, Indianapolis' Peyton Manning, Atlanta's Michael Vick and Philadelphia's Donovan McNabb among them.

Alot of fans on this site have disagreed with Prisco in the past, but this one does not really talk about Feeley. I think it is relevant though because if everyone just wants Aj to "not lose" a game, than you're gonna see the team won't go far, or even make the playoffs. This is not a bashing Aj thing at all, I will just say that if the Phins want to be an elite team than Aj is gonna have to become a very good Qb, which will be obvious to most, but to others who believe he can just be there to manage the game they're mistaken.

I'm sorry, but I don't consider Vick a good QB. Great athlete? Undoubtedly, but QB? No way. He is the most over hyped player in the game. He has no touch, no accuracy and does not understand the nuances of the passing game and reading coverages.

AquaAssasin said:
there has been alot other teams that have gone far into the playoffs and went to the superbowl with mediocre qbs. The thing with those teams is that they had a surrounding cast to makeup for the lack of qb talent...

That might be true, you may even win a superbowl with a mediocre QB, but I can gurantee you won't get back there for a second not in todays nfl. With that said, we still gotta give the kid his chance.

The problem I see with AJ is that he seems to lack the ability to adapt when a play breaks down. Any NFL QB can complete a pass when the coach calls the right play against a given D and everybody does their job. That final pass against NE was the perfect example. You had a clear mismatch from your presnap read and nothing changed at the snap. This should be an easy read for a QB. The QB that you need is the one that can occasionally put the team on his shoulders when something breaks down. If you look at the "mediocre" QBs that one SBs they all did that maybe not for a career but for a season or maybe just the playoffs. That's why the Falcons do well with Vick. He is far from a great passer, but he has shown the ability to carry the team when things break down. The great QBs all did that. Montana, Marino, etc. all achieved greatness in the moments when they carried a team. All the talk about how you can't judge AJ on last season is BS. You can judge his feel for the game and he doesn't seem to have much. Under a better system and with a better cast AJ will be better. He could probably develop into that QB that will get us 9-10 wins. Welcome back to the days of Fiedler (with a stronger arm for those that think that's important). But when things break down and you need the QB to carry you, "good enough" and "caretaker" aren't going to get you there. JF was tough and his teammates believed and respected him. He could improvise with his feet and he had moments where he carried the team (the end of the Raider game comes to mind), but he couldn't do it often enough. I've looked for that in AJ both at Philly and here. That spark of improvisation. That feel for the game. He had opportunities galore to make that play when some other element of the team failed. The truth is I can't remember him doing it once last year. I remember that he showed it once in that Philly game against SF, but I didn't see it again in the other two Philly games I watched. A SB winning QB has to to be able to carry the team more often than that.

AlanSaysYo said:
Mentioning Michael Vick in the same sentence as Manning and Brady makes me want to lose my lunch. That aside...

I'm still going to believe that the system can make AJ a good QB. Remember Fiedler's first two years with Chan Gailey? He wasn't Joe Montana, but he was getting the job done. He was making plays. If Fiedler could look good in even just one system, I believe that AJ, a guy who showed a lot of guts last year in a horrible system with no running game and no line, can look good in Linehan's system.

Sup Alan. IGN Football Board REPREZENT

BTW I agree with your comment. I think Feeley will do well in a different system

MelbournePhin said:
fiedler was a prime example of a QB that was plugged into the game to manage it and not lose it. im sure most of us expect AJ to be better than Jay and play a much different role

I have much higher expectations for AJ than I ever did for Jay. I think that with an improved o-line and a run game, AJ can really excel. He has a great group of receivers this year and may have 2 franchise rb's. I understand why so many people are down on AJ but I can't help but like the guy. He played tough last year and imo has the tools needed to be successful. No need to bash me, just my optimistic opinion.

First of Atlanta was never in an AFC championship and also Fielder did not lead us in that oakland game. JT was all over gannon forsing mistake after mistake. Fiedler never lead, i am not saying he was always terrible but he was no leader. We really have never had a leader since Marino. Now we have one and it is our coach he demands respect and i believe hell get it. As for the qb position well all just wait and see.

kbeath said:
First of Atlanta was never in an AFC championship and also Fielder did not lead us in that oakland game. JT was all over gannon forsing mistake after mistake. Fiedler never lead, i am not saying he was always terrible but he was no leader. We really have never had a leader since Marino. Now we have one and it is our coach he demands respect and i believe hell get it. As for the qb position well all just wait and see.

Just about everyone in the Miami locker room would disagree with you about about JF being a leader. JF had many weaknesses, but leadership ability was not one of them.

If the O-line does it's job this year I think AJ will do fine. I think that the coaching staff that we have now will be the difference. We have coaches that will demand alot more of AJ and I think he will respond well. Last year wasn't the year to measure his performance. I say lets see what happens in the first few games and then all you guys can start bashing him.

djfresh47 said:

What does that say for TB and the Ravens? I also think you misunderstand him. He's not saying you need a ProBowl QB, he's saying you need efficiency and very few mistakes. AJ can do that I believe.

MelbournePhin said:
fiedler was a prime example of a QB that was plugged into the game to manage it and not lose it. im sure most of us expect AJ to be better than Jay and play a much different role

Makes sense..But No, I don't expect AJ to be better than Jay. I think AJ is just our new version of Jay 2.0....Not better..Not worse. We just picked up a "new"
Jay Fiedler.:ears:

bigmiamifan said:
What does that say for TB and the Ravens? I also think you misunderstand him. He's not saying you need a ProBowl QB, he's saying you need efficiency and very few mistakes. AJ can do that I believe.

I'm not saying the Phins need a pro bowl QB, but they need someone who is more than a care-taker, to which I don't know if Aj can be.

Back
Top Bottom