Pete Prisco with Some Phins Tidbits | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pete Prisco with Some Phins Tidbits

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
Dolphin receiving praise

When the Dolphins signed Derrius Thompson as a free agent from the Redskins this spring, coach Dave Wannstedt thought he had signed a pretty good player.

He now thinks he got so much more.

Thompson has had an impressive preseason and just might be the team's best receiver heading into the regular season. With Chris Chambers still slow to bounce back from his sub-par second half of last season -- he wasn't the same after the concussion at the hands of a Kenoy Kennedy hit -- Thompson has moved toward that status.

"He's been unbelievable," Wannstedt said. "This guy has come in here and taken over this whole thing."

Thompson caught 53 passes for the Redskins last season for 773 yards and a 14.6 average. There were some inside the Redskins who felt Thompson should be brought back, but the team didn't want to pay him what Miami paid him, so he took the money and went south.

The Dolphins gave Thompson a three-year deal that averages $1.19 million a year with a $600,000 signing bonus. That's bargain money for what he has shown so far. They do have to give him a $400,000 option bonus next spring if they want to keep him, and you can bet, barring injury, that will be a given.

As for Chambers, Wannstedt is still waiting to see if he can get back to his pre-concussion form. Chambers seemed to have problems going over the middle after taking the wicked hit from Kennedy last October.

"He needs to get back playing with the confidence he showed early in his career," Wannstedt said.

If he does, the Dolphins will have a pretty solid outside tandem. Now, let's see if offensive coordinator Norv Turner can put them to use to make the offense less predictable.

Teams in the market for a running back have two they can choose from as Buffalo's Olandis Gary and Pittsburgh's Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala were being shopped around this week. Both teams are asking for a third-round pick in exchange for the players, a price that is far too high. If somebody will part with a seventh-round pick for either of those two, look for them to be traded. If not, they face being released, especially Gary, who has not impressed in Buffalo.

(I had to stick that one in there cuz I find it kinda funny that one of the Bills' biggest problems on offense last year was that Travis Henry constituted like 95% of their rush yards...meaning that even though Henry was top 5 in rushing yards, the Bills were bottom half in total rush yards....so the Bills signed Olandis Gary thinking he could change that, give some 1-2...and he turned out to be a complete turd. Maybe they'll push Willis into early action after all...)

The Dolphins are high on rookie left tackle Wade Smith, who has been forced into the starting lineup after an injury to Mark Dixon. Smith is a big, physical player with light feet. He did a nice job on Jacksonville's Hugh Douglas last week, although Douglas is probably one of those players on cruise control until the season starts. There were some in Miami pulling for the Dolphins to sign a veteran when Dixon went down -- he will be back from ankle surgery in a month -- but Miami did the right thing giving the rookie a chance. Too often, NFL teams panic and rush out to sign a vet without giving the kid a chance. Kudos to Wannstedt. At center, the Dolphins have settled on veteran Tim Ruddy, who beat out Seth McKinney. Meshing this unit together will be a test for line coach Tony Wise. "He's going to earn his money this year," Wannstedt said.

Curtis Keaton has tap-danced too much for the Saints' coaches, and he has not earned the backup job to Deuce McAllister. The Saints season, as it stands now, rests on McAllister's health. Signing Ki-Jana Carter isn't the answer, either. Look for a back to come either via trade or off the waiver wire in the coming weeks. New Orleans might want to take a peek at Dolphins backup Leonard Henry, who might have a tough time making Miami's roster, although he still could beat Robert Edwards. If the price for Gary or Fuamatu-Ma'afala comes down, the Saints might look at one of them.

As is the case with all scouts, we have our fair share of player evaluations that are wrong. But after a month of camp, two of the player recommendations that we made here are looking like gold. They are running back Justin Fargas of the Raiders and Bucs quarterback Chris Simms. Fargas was the top-rated running back in the Sportsline.com pre-draft running back rankings, while Simms was the third quarterback. Both lasted until the third round -- Fargas for injury concerns and Simms for reasons unknown. Fargas leads the NFL in rushing yards this preseason and has shown enough toughness to run inside the tackles with power. Simms has been impressive in three games so far, and has his teammates buzzing about him. In three years, both of these guys will be good NFL starters.

(I included this tidbit because Justin Fargas and Chris Simms were two guys I've been harping on the Phins for not drafting instead of Taylor Whitley...big surprise Whitley has turned out to be a turd so far and Fargas and Simms are looking awesome...btw my boy Pisa Tinoisamoa is looking like a real wrecking ball in the Rams linebacking corp, already secured a STARTING job...fricking coaches should have moved up, they knew St Louis would have drafted him and the coaches knew that we would be going with a LB too...Eddie Moore is injury redshirt and Pisa T is exploding onto the scene)

Overall, I gotta give credit to Prickso. He seems quiet on the Jets lately (there's not much good to say...he HAS been quoted as saying that the only loss the Jets had that hasn't been filled by someone as good or better was Laveraneous Coles...the retirement of Tom Nutten shows how wrong he was). And more importantly he's actually giving the Phins coaches credit on two different issues.

Welcome to unbiased reporting Pete.

Oh and he's also got a nice bit about Doug Johnson, a guy who I've had a good feeling about for a year or two and I think the Phins have their eye on him honestly, at least Spielman does I think.

Johnson's got a rocket arm and he's the only QB coming out of UF that Spurrier hated, so automatically to me this means he's got to be the one most likely to make something of himself in the NFL.

I think Prickso is right, Johnson is going to rock the NFL for a few weeks while Vick is away and I've put DJ on most of my fantasy teams. If things don't work out with Fiedler this year, (cross fingers hope I'm wrong), Doug Johnson is a guy who will be available on the market and I'd love to see him throwin balls in Norv's offense.

Yea, giving the Dolphins credit in any way does not sound like him.... Are you sure Prickso wrote this? :)

LOL. I'm sure some Phin-Phriendly hackers got into the CBS website and changed up Prickso's writing. Or maybe originally Prickso wrote how the hype around Derrius Thompson seems overrated and he is not worth what the Phins paid him, and he probably said that the Phins are kidding themselves if they think a rookie 3rd round LT could fill in immediate backup to the injury prone Mark Dixon.

The editor changed it up a bit, heh.

Originally posted by 13isgr81
Yea, giving the Dolphins credit in any way does not sound like him.... Are you sure Prickso wrote this? :)

Maybe it's someone else's pen name.

Good read Ck, I hope everything we've seen and read about our players work out. I'm excited again. At the end of last year, I remember taking some time off from football period, I didn't even come to the board or read anything dolphin related because I was so pissed. I didn't think we had money to do anything with. I didn't really get back until we signed DT. I couldn't believe it, because I watched him a lot here in Maryland with the skins. I knew we had something then, so I started waiting and watching for other signings. And the people we have accumulated have me hyped up..So I'm looking forward to this year, starting out with rose colored glasses, but have my shades not far away in a jar, that says break if needed. LOL.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Oh and he's also got a nice bit about Doug Johnson, a guy who I've had a good feeling about for a year or two and I think the Phins have their eye on him honestly, at least Spielman does I think.

Johnson's got a rocket arm and he's the only QB coming out of UF that Spurrier hated, so automatically to me this means he's got to be the one most likely to make something of himself in the NFL.

I think Prickso is right, Johnson is going to rock the NFL for a few weeks while Vick is away and I've put DJ on most of my fantasy teams. If things don't work out with Fiedler this year, (cross fingers hope I'm wrong), Doug Johnson is a guy who will be available on the market and I'd love to see him throwin balls in Norv's offense.

The Doug Johnson playing for Atlanata?

Doug Johnson is a guy who will be available on the market and I'd love to see him throwin balls in Norv's offense.

I agree, but if we don't win this year will Norv be here next year?
I hope so, but IMO Norv will be gone. This year is a big year for this team and if we don't win... then we will be a mess next year and for years to come.

I always have said that doug johnson was a good qb. Last year he showed was he can do and with peerless price and less running from vick the falcons will be pretty explosive.

(I had to stick that one in there cuz I find it kinda funny that one of the Bills' biggest problems on offense last year was that Travis Henry constituted like 95% of their rush yards...meaning that even though Henry was top 5 in rushing yards, the Bills were bottom half in total rush yards....so the Bills signed Olandis Gary thinking he could change that, give some 1-2...and he turned out to be a complete turd. Maybe they'll push Willis into early action after all...)

Mere speculation. All the running backs have been doing well at camp. Reports from our poster from bz who attends camp at a regular basis(and the times I've attended camp) it's hard to determine who's going to back up Henry. Sam Morris, Joe Burns and Gary have been doing very well.

This is our deepest position in the team. CBS, didn't even cite their sources for that article. Gary has been doing very well in preseason games. At the last camp practice Gary has even been practicing with the 1st team in the red zone offense. Until he's cut or traded or even have reliable sources other than that article , your calling him a turd is way off.

Reports say Chambers hasn't been doing anything either , is it safe to say he's a complete turd at this point?

Re: Re: Pete Prisco with Some Phins Tidbits

Originally posted by justafan

Mere speculation. All the running backs have been doing well at camp. Reports from our poster from bz who attends camp at a regular basis(and the times I've attended camp) it's hard to determine who's going to back up Henry. Sam Morris, Joe Burns and Gary have been doing very well.

This is our deepest position in the team. CBS, didn't even cite their sources for that article. Gary has been doing very well in preseason games. At the last camp practice Gary has even been practicing with the 1st team in the red zone offense. Until he's cut or traded or even have reliable sources other than that article , your calling him a turd is way off.

Reports say Chambers hasn't been doing anything either , is it safe to say he's a complete turd at this point?

I never put much credance to anything the media says about any team. Take Fred Smerlas for example, he was on bob mathews last night on the radio saying that ted washington is better than sam adams and pat williams each. Now im not sold on adams at all and he is overweight IMO. But Ted Washington is defenitely on his downside and he was said to be 375lbs!!! Injury prone now and way out of shape. smerlas is just so way off when it comes to talking about the Dolphins and the patriots cus he is so biased both ways on both teams. it really shows bigtime.

Re: Re: Re: Pete Prisco with Some Phins Tidbits

Originally posted by finfan54

I never put much credance to anything the media says about any team. Take Fred Smerlas for example, he was on bob mathews last night on the radio saying that ted washington is better than sam adams and pat williams each. Now im not sold on adams at all and he is overweight IMO. But Ted Washington is defenitely on his downside and he was said to be 375lbs!!! Injury prone now and way out of shape. smerlas is just so way off when it comes to talking about the Dolphins and the patriots cus he is so biased both ways on both teams. it really shows bigtime.

I agree, everyone wrote off the Pats and Jets last year despite a few games having been played. It's only preseason. Anything can happen at any point in the season.

As for Ted Washington, would the Bears seriously let him go if he was as good as he used to be? The Pats are desperate for any help at D tackle. RW, Henry and Curtis Martin? Every AFCE team better be ready.

Back
Top Bottom