Peter King: Phins will play in AFC Championship (merged) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Peter King: Phins will play in AFC Championship (merged)

Surferosa

Run to Daylight
Reaction score
Peter King: Phins will play in AFC Championship

He puts in a few disclaimers, but still, its the closest thing to a prediction that Ive seen from him since the season started. And he has never been a big fan of the Phins....

"I will say this about (Zach) Thomas’ team: Barring a spate of injuries, and assuming Jay Fiedler plays efficiently, which he’s done four out of five games this year, Miami will play in the AFC Championship Game this year. They’re too physical, too diverse on offense, to melt down after the Wild Card round the way they’ve done the past four years" eek: :eek:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/peter_king/news/2002/10/07/mmqb/:

Love to hear that!!!! I will second his opinion, The Fins will be tough come the playoffs this year. Lookin forward to a big January baby!!!!!!!

CNN-SI's Peter King on the Dolphins

This, from his "Monday Morning Quarterback" column:

I will say this about (Zack) Thomas' team: Barring a spate of injuries, and assuming Jay Fiedler plays efficiently, which he's done four out of five games this year, Miami will play in the AFC Championship Game this year. They're too physical, too diverse on offense, to melt down after the Wild Card round the way they've done the past four years.

The whole column is great. He talks about how hoe was actually sort of hoping the Patriots would win -- simply because most of the leads he had been following for his SI article were with the Super Bowl champs. ("I'm not rooting for a team, I'm rooting for my story.") As a writer, I can certainly understand that.

But sometimes, you just have to go where the story takes you. And it looks like King's a believer.

Wait'll we beat the Broncos (I hope). Then you can pull the bandwagon into the Pro Player Stadium parking lot.

:bandwagon:

The question comes down to Jay Fiedler . Playoffs team can take out Ricky williams - the running game. Can Jay Fiedler pass consistly and move the offense without throwing interceptions, when teams take the running game out of the equation. I see the Broncos as a carbon copy of the dolphins. Both qbs(Fiedler and Griese) are at the best when the running game clicking but have their trouble when they are forced to pass. Look at the top contended teams so far and where they rank against the run. Raider i believe are number 1 d againast run and the Broncos are number 2. The dolphins will only go as far as Jay Fiedler takes them.

Agreed. He has to be at the top of his game or else we wont be playing in January. Period.

Originally posted by DrAstroZoom
The good news is "the top of his game" is good enough.

I agree with that:D

the NE game showed that a D can key completely on Ricky and we can win relatively easily as long as we continue to give him the ball and not abandon. As long as we have RW, we should never relie on Jay to win it for us (see KC game). This week's game will tell whether that is possible or not.

Also, it is not that easy to stop Ricky... look at NE, they put 7,8,9 guys there and he still had 105 yards and we held the ball for 40 minutes... by the time you get enough guys there to stop Ricky, you have nobody left to cover all of the Fins big threats.. all Jay has to do is Find the right one..
No, the key to beating the Fins is not stopping Ricky, it is taking him out of the game... you need to score early and often and force the fins to put Ricky on the Bench (which I don't agree with, although I believe as it gets later in the year Ricky will come out less and less)... that is what KC did, and that is your best chance of beating the fins.. There are simply not enough guys on defense to stop Ricky and cover the receivers..

I totally agree with that last statement. However, the Broncos don't bring up those 8 and 9 man fronts. If Ricky and our O-line can force them too, then the game is ours. I'm still not sold on that run defense. Faulk has been struggling, as have the 49ers. San Diego has a weak O-line, and Denver took advantage of that. This game will show where they really are......

If they don't bring up extra guys to the line, Ricky will have a good day... If they do bring guys up, Ricky will still have an OK game and Jay should have a good game, Denvers' coners are not that good.

8-9 guys couldn't hold Ricky from 100 yards. Thats why I'm not so sure Denvers front 7 can do it. I think this is going to be a wakeup call to that defense. O'Neal is OK, I think he is more lucky than good. He can be beat, but I'd prefer to take advantage of Gadsden against Walker......

We need to start rooting against the Jags. In the end they could be our biggest block to a bye week.

dolphan39 No way can you say Patriots have a good run defense. Chargers and chiefs exposed that rush defense. Patriots are 28 against the run giving up 140.4 yards per game. The top five teams against the run - Oakland 59.5 Denver 61.0, Tampabay 81.2, Miami 82.2 , and Carolina 82.6. I don't think R williams is neutralized against the Broncos. Their Dl is that good and the Lbs are real fast. Just like the Broncos aren't running on Dolphins. I think the game comes down to Griese and Fiedler who can make the least mistakes and move thye team more consistantly. Take it to the Bank the running game will not we there against Dolphins.

Back
Top Bottom