Phillies | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Phillies

MikeO said:
Lidell might not even see any action in the playoffs. I couldn't disagree more

Pitching wins out and the Yankees are going to score runs regardless but their starting pitching is weak. The White Sox starting pitching has been awful but they score runs but they're not going anywhere without Buehrle and Contreras picking it up. Actually the best thing that could happen for the Yankees and White Sox is meeting each other in the 1st rd of the playoffs and just play 8-7 games cause neither team has the pitching. Pitching wins in the postseason which is why the teams to be feared IMO are the A's if they get Harden back and the Twins if Liriano comes back. Those are big if's but IMO good pitching wins out.

djfresh47 said:
Pitching wins out and the Yankees are going to score runs regardless but their starting pitching is weak. The White Sox starting pitching has been awful but they score runs but they're not going anywhere without Buehrle and Contreras picking it up. Actually the best thing that could happen for the Yankees and White Sox is meeting each other in the 1st rd of the playoffs and just play 8-7 games cause neither team has the pitching. Pitching wins in the postseason which is why the teams to be feared IMO are the A's if they get Harden back and the Twins if Liriano comes back. Those are big if's but IMO good pitching wins out.

You missed the point completly. In the playoffs you only need 4 starters. Mussiana, Wang, Randy, and Wright. Liddel will get moved to the bullpen and be the long-reliever and probably never see any action.

Its funny how discussions about other teams somehow always end up being about the Yankees :lol:

djfresh47 said:
.270 with 14 homeruns is a skill set not found often in the majors? Like I said earlier it's hard to measure defensive statistics even OF assists. Andruw Jones has a reputation and would that not change the mindset of a runner or coach if a ball is hit to him? Essentially limit his chances? He's 32 and on the downside although he's been great with the Yankees. You're going into his career and not looking into the player he is right now. This guy that you describe as a star is 55th in OPS and 97 in slugging. Sorry I don't see the hype about Bobby Abreu. He's had a good career but if the Yankees are to go far in the playoffs Lidle was a bigger pickup than Abreu.

Fine, you take Joe Crede, I'll take Bobby Abreu. Fair?

Honestly, man, you're combining stats from two different years. Unless you're looking at his body of work as a career, that's manipulating the stats. And for someone arguing that pitching is more important than offense, why would it matter if Abreu's home run totals are down if he's seeing so many pitches that he's wearing down the opposing pitching staff? I read that in the Boston series he saw 120-something pitches, and you wonder why the Sox had to shuffle their staff like a deck of cards all weekend?

Boik14 said:
Its funny how discussions about other teams somehow always end up being about the Yankees :lol:

lots of people have a 2nd city mentality. It's sad

RWhitney014 said:

Honestly, man, you're combining stats from two different years. Unless you're looking at his body of work as a career, that's manipulating the stats. And for someone arguing that pitching is more important than offense, why would it matter if Abreu's home run totals are down if he's seeing so many pitches that he's wearing down the opposing pitching staff? I read that in the Boston series he saw 120-something pitches, and you wonder why the Sox had to shuffle their staff like a deck of cards all weekend?

in a sport where everyone is so one-dimensional Abreu is one of the Top 5-tool players left. And yet people find a way to bash him. It's unreal.

People just look at home runs and judge everything. It's so sad. Look deeper. SB attempts to caught stealing. His arm strength. His avg. Pitches he gets per at bat. Hitting the other way. Everything. The guy does everything.

Sure an Adam Dunn might hit 45+ home runs and drive in 130 but he will also hit .228 and lead the Majors in strike outs and hurt you in the field and not run at all. I would rather have Abreu over Dunn (just one example).

MikeO said:
in a sport where everyone is so one-dimensional Abreu is one of the Top 5-tool players left. And yet people find a way to bash him. It's unreal.

People just look at home runs and judge everything. It's so sad. Look deeper. SB attempts to caught stealing. His arm strength. His avg. Pitches he gets per at bat. Hitting the other way. Everything. The guy does everything.

Sure an Adam Dunn might hit 45+ home runs and drive in 130 but he will also hit .228 and lead the Majors in strike outs and hurt you in the field and not run at all. I would rather have Abreu over Dunn (just one example).

That's the point I've been illustrating the whole time, Mike. For once, the planets have aligned and hell has frozen over, since you and I agree.

Fans have gotten so used to seeing guys hit 40-50 homers a year that they forget all the other stuff players do to be successful. Abreu is at least a plus, if not a big one, in just about every single facet of the game, and it goes much farther than just AVG/HR/RBI, even though his composite stats for those are sparkling.

He's just never won anything, although one could argue the teams around him haven't been wonderful. We'll see what happens if/when the Yankees make the playoffs.

RWhitney014 said:
He's just never won anything, although one could argue the teams around him haven't been wonderful. We'll see what happens if/when the Yankees make the playoffs.

nobody has won anything from that division the past decade because of Atlanta. And don't give me wild card because now you expect him to compete with every team in the national league (minus atlanta) for 1 playoff spot which is unrealistic to say the least!!!!!

Losing Rowand is going to hurt but adding Moyer is a good move. Cincy looks like they are playing great ball and are the front runner for the Wild Card if not the Division.

MikeO said:
nobody has won anything from that division the past decade because of Atlanta. And don't give me wild card because now you expect him to compete with every team in the national league (minus atlanta) for 1 playoff spot which is unrealistic to say the least!!!!!

That's not true. When I talk of winning, I talk of winning it all, and Florida is the only team in the past 10 years in the National League East of the Mississippi to win the World Series.

RWhitney014 said:

So I should go by what he has done his whole career? Forgetting the player he is now and go by the player he was before? Bobby Abreu can steal bases which is something that Crede doesn't do at all. Although one could argue that the risk for stealing a base is not worth the reward. That isn't relevant because Abreu is stealing bases at about 84% this season. If you're going to argue Abreu or Crede i'll just go by Crede is the most complete player on the White Sox and is playing as good as any 3rd basemen in all of baseball right now. I could go into his defense and argue he should win the gold glove but that award is a joke and has been since Tino Martinez got robbed of it by Palmeroid after he played 22 games. I'll get back to the original topic though...

Aaron Rowand is a pro's pro and losing him is a big blow for the Phillies. With the Phillies playing better funny how the Brett Myers altercation has left the national media. They've got a nice nucleus with Utley/J-Roll/Howard but it's hard to praise a team in the national league not named the Mets.

Back
Top Bottom