Phillip Rivers finally feeling the love | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Phillip Rivers finally feeling the love

brumdog44

Club Member
Reaction score
Strange to consider teams seem to now want Phillip Rivers for a playoff run. When he was with the Chargers, they always felt he'd fall short either in the regular season or playoffs.

After the Saints reached out to him last week, the Colts reached out to him this week in case Wentz isn't through covid protocol. He turned them down; Sam Ehlinger will start if Wentz doesn't clear protocol on Sunday.

It just shows how little confidence those teams have in the backup and third string QB’s on their rosters. There are only about 20 QB’s in the entire league who are quality starters. So you can imagine how bad the backups and third string QB’s must be.

Both Brees and Rivers would still be better than many starters and every backup in the league but I certainly understand why neither of them would have any interest in suiting up after retiring and not playing the game for nearly a year. They have both moved on with their lives and they don’t need the money..

It just shows how little confidence those teams have in the backup and third string QB’s on their rosters. There are only about 20 QB’s in the entire league who are quality starters. So you can imagine how bad the backups and third string QB’s must be.

Both Brees and Rivers would still be better than many starters and every backup in the league but I certainly understand why neither of them would have any interest in suiting up after retiring and not playing the game for nearly a year. They have both moved on with their lives and they don’t need the money..

DING DING!!!!!!

I think that all depends on what you consider to be a 'quality quarterback'.

Let me throw some names out: which of the following would you consider to be quality quarterbacks?

Mac Jones
Teddy Bridgewater
Ben Roethlsiberger
Baker Mayfield
Jared Goff
Jalen Hurts

Never really liked when teams stopped carrying 3 QBs almost immediately after they changed the 3rd QB gameday rule after the Pat White debacle where a guy nearly got killed because he was technically the team's backup QB. Most teams don't even try at the backup QB position any more.

Not that it's anything unusual for teams to reach out to recently retired QB's, legend or not. We tried to lure Troy Aikman out of retirement in the early 2000s. These days you just find out about these things a lot more quickly because of the way information leaks and gets distributed in the digital age. How often do you have two franchise QB's that retired the year before even though their level of play was still high? (and how often did those two guys start their careers on the same team).

Back
Top Bottom