Phillip Rivers or Drew Henson? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Phillip Rivers or Drew Henson?

who would you rather have as quaterback?

• Phillip Rivers

Votes: 29 60.4%
  • Drew Henson

Votes: 19 39.6%

• Total voters

dolfan34

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I would rather see us take phillip rivers beause he is fresh coming out of college and in to the pros and drew henson hasnt showed me anything and hes been our of football for two years, i just think it is a safer gamble if we go with phillip rivers.

The problem is that it still is too much of a gamble, I say Henson, anyway we will have to wait, we can't send Rivers into a pro game with his mechanics, he has to improve, and whatever the coaches can't teach him how to do so in just one darn preseason. If Henson can come cheap, i say henson, and i say we develop him, and we bring Brunell in, he is a good west coast offense kind of guy, and now we have an assistant coach and quaterbacks coach who is a west coast expert, I want a superbowl now, and Rivers will have too darn many growing pains, we would be in a loosing season if we start him.

henson, for the same reasons ive said in several other posts.

both are risks, but getting henson with next years number 1(probably a later pick than 20 assuming we make the playoffs) lets us really use this draft to help us on the O-line/WR in the early going, and then draft for depth later. We would still get our potential franchise qb this season and brunell would be more likely to come here knowing full well that henson will not be replacing him like fatwich did in jax.

something like brunell, henson, michael clayton, vernon carey is essentially my choice over say rivers/clayton
...lose ogun in both situations.

Either way... we have to bring in someone like Brunell. Neither players can start immediately but both are good enough to be the future. I have more faith in Henson for whatever reason. I liked him when he played in Michigan and i think he could contribute for this team.
:missmeth:

I say henson, he is just abetter QB then Rivers. I don't care what the stats say If Henson played at NC state he would have had those stats too. Henson can play an NFL style offence cause Mich. played the same style off. that Miami does, run first then pass. Plus Mich. puts out a lot of NFL QB's and Carr said that he was the most talented QB he ever coached. Plus we may be able to work out deal envolving Walley going to Houston and then we lose no picks at all. Wally and are third for Henson and Huston's second. If we can pull that trade we could draft a WR at 20 and a good O-line man early in the second.

niether will start right away, giving up a future picks works out better. this draft miami can focus on what they need to WIN this year...

If we draftd Philip Rivers, ofcourse he has bad mechanics but what if Dan were to work with him? Dont you think since Dan might be unhappy with not doing much he could spend time with Rivers and work with him on all that? I would much rather have Philip Rivers anyway because Hensons been gone for 2 years and he wont magically be playing well again, who knows he may have lost it...i say take philip its a sure thing down the road.

now henson is available for only a second rounder, if theyll take one in next years draft, this is the deal that has to be made.

Originally posted by Dolphins17-0
now henson is available for only a second rounder, if theyll take one in next years draft, this is the deal that has to be made.

If he signs with the Texans ya.

The main consideration there would be at which spot Houston expects Miami to be picking in next year's first round. Maybe Wanny staying will help there :rolleyes:

First off, I'd be happy with either. I think they both have good chances at being decent QBs...or better than decent. That said I've done some pretty extensive research into this and even in the most critical, scathing reviews, I've only ever seen his foot mechanics criticized once. And even that was turned into a positive because the guy was saying that he sometimes has a tendancy to throw flat-footed, and that once he learns a little bit better mechanics, you might even see an increase in velocity on his throws. Velocity's the biggest negative. The pass mechanics are not a problem they are just an oddity. He's got the same motion as Kosar use to have, and Kosar had a prolific career with the Browns. You'd be worried about batted balls if he was shorter than he is but he's 6'5" which is on the high side for NFL QBs. His quick release also tends to not give DLmen warning time enough to get their hands up.

I've seen two games of his, though the first time I saw him admittedly I wasn't really makin an effort to pay attention to him he still stood out to me. Or maybe it was the announcer gushing over how well he was doing that day. Or maybe it was the coaches (his own and opponents) gushing about him. Or maybe it was everyone gushing about him. Get my drift? When people see an ultra-prolific college passer I think their hackles immediately get raised. They think he's playin in some monkey @ss offense that anyone could operate. Thing is, his WRs weren't that good, his RBs weren't that good, and his OL wasn't that great either I don't think. Yeah he played a lot of shotgun and a lot of the throws were short. But for all these short throws, his YPA was higher than Eli Manning's, Ben Roethlisberger's, and JP Losman. Was higher than another weak-armed QB who was king kong in a college offense, Kliff Kingsbury....and currently higher than Texas Tech's new monkey at the controls, BJ Symons. In fact I'm lookin at the stats right now and the only guy in the entire NCAA that had a higher YPA than Rivers was Ryan Dinwiddie with 9.8 ypa.

Thats a very important statistic. Idea is if you're running a short dink and dunk toss it 60 times a game offense that makes the QB look like god, your YPA probably isn't gonna be that great.

Plus the tale is on the tape. NC State is out there scoring 38 against Ohio State, and 44 against Florida State. They played the #12, #13, and #14 defenses in the entire NCAA Division I-A (Maryland, Ohio St, and Florida St), and scored a combined 106 points, or 35 points a game roughly. They also played tough defenses like Clemson (rank #23), Virginia (rank #30), and Georgia Tech (rank #36) and scored total 96 points, 32 points a game.

Monkey @ss offense? You show me a college offensive coordinator who can take crap for WRs, crap for RBs, crap for OL, and a weak-armed college QB with no NFL talent...turn it into a scoring machine against some of the top defenses in the country...and if I'm an NFL GM I'm hiring him as my head coach.

only if henson can be had at a reasonable price should miami deal. otherwise, they are in perfect position to draft rivers, so why not do it?

Originally posted by Phishstix
only if henson can be had at a reasonable price should miami deal. otherwise, they are in perfect position to draft rivers, so why not do it?

Why do it? Because they'll possibly have 3 first round draft picks this year if they do it.

Back
Top Bottom