Phillip Rivers or Drew Henson? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Phillip Rivers or Drew Henson?

who would you rather have as quaterback?

• Phillip Rivers

Votes: 29 60.4%
  • Drew Henson

Votes: 19 39.6%

• Total voters
For all the people that are saying, they wouldn't mind giving up a 1st or 2nd round pick in the 2005 draft for Henson. Will you still say it was worth it come Draft Day 2005, after seeing Henson stand on the sidelines all year. Yea, you could say the same about Rivers, but at least we'll still have that draft pick.:dunno: Henson could turn out to be a stud, no one knows, it's a crap shoot.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
First off, I'd be happy with either. I think they both have good chances at being decent QBs...or better than decent. That said I've done some pretty extensive research into this and even in the most critical, scathing reviews, I've only ever seen his foot mechanics criticized once. And even that was turned into a positive because the guy was saying that he sometimes has a tendancy to throw flat-footed, and that once he learns a little bit better mechanics, you might even see an increase in velocity on his throws. Velocity's the biggest negative. The pass mechanics are not a problem they are just an oddity. He's got the same motion as Kosar use to have, and Kosar had a prolific career with the Browns. You'd be worried about batted balls if he was shorter than he is but he's 6'5" which is on the high side for NFL QBs. His quick release also tends to not give DLmen warning time enough to get their hands up.

I've seen two games of his, though the first time I saw him admittedly I wasn't really makin an effort to pay attention to him he still stood out to me. Or maybe it was the announcer gushing over how well he was doing that day. Or maybe it was the coaches (his own and opponents) gushing about him. Or maybe it was everyone gushing about him. Get my drift? When people see an ultra-prolific college passer I think their hackles immediately get raised. They think he's playin in some monkey @ss offense that anyone could operate. Thing is, his WRs weren't that good, his RBs weren't that good, and his OL wasn't that great either I don't think. Yeah he played a lot of shotgun and a lot of the throws were short. But for all these short throws, his YPA was higher than Eli Manning's, Ben Roethlisberger's, and JP Losman. Was higher than another weak-armed QB who was king kong in a college offense, Kliff Kingsbury....and currently higher than Texas Tech's new monkey at the controls, BJ Symons. In fact I'm lookin at the stats right now and the only guy in the entire NCAA that had a higher YPA than Rivers was Ryan Dinwiddie with 9.8 ypa.

Thats a very important statistic. Idea is if you're running a short dink and dunk toss it 60 times a game offense that makes the QB look like god, your YPA probably isn't gonna be that great.

Plus the tale is on the tape. NC State is out there scoring 38 against Ohio State, and 44 against Florida State. They played the #12, #13, and #14 defenses in the entire NCAA Division I-A (Maryland, Ohio St, and Florida St), and scored a combined 106 points, or 35 points a game roughly. They also played tough defenses like Clemson (rank #23), Virginia (rank #30), and Georgia Tech (rank #36) and scored total 96 points, 32 points a game.

Monkey @ss offense? You show me a college offensive coordinator who can take crap for WRs, crap for RBs, crap for OL, and a weak-armed college QB with no NFL talent...turn it into a scoring machine against some of the top defenses in the country...and if I'm an NFL GM I'm hiring him as my head coach.

Right on my man, that was a great read. I was going to rush in here and spout all that off, but you nailed it. Now, thorw in that Rivers has been consistent (actually gotten better) over his 4 years at NC state, and stack that against Henson's comparitevly SHORT NCAA career, and all this Henson talk gets me really nervous.

Originally posted by ajdoggie
For all the people that are saying, they wouldn't mind giving up a 1st or 2nd round pick in the 2005 draft for Henson. Will you still say it was worth it come Draft Day 2005, after seeing Henson stand on the sidelines all year. Yea, you could say the same about Rivers, but at least we'll still have that draft pick.:dunno: Henson could turn out to be a stud, no one knows, it's a crap shoot.

No that's the beauty of the situation. We'd get our young QB now, have him developing under Trestman (and hopefully Brunell) and it would cost NEXT year's pick. Meanwhile....we still have the #20 and more than likely another 1st rounder for Wale. Basically gives us 3 first rounders this year.

I can't see it taking more than 3/4ths of a year for Henson to be startable. Not saying start him in week 13 if we have a healthy Brunell/veteran starter, but the kid's in shape and could knock the rust off EASILY by then. Same goes for Rivers imo. He'd be ready just as quick, if not quicker, but when we're talking young QB, I'd hope we don't mean for THIS season.

With the good WR crop this year, possibly getting Carey too, AND a young franchise QB all at the same time....I gotta love that prospect. Bearing in mind of course...THIS YEAR'S DRAFT WILL NOT BE FOR THE PLAYERS TO GET US INTO THE PLAYOFFS IN 2004. That's what FA is for. That could easily give us 3 top notch guys to come out and take charge in 2005 and beyond. Nothing's guaranteed of course....but I like the chances with 3 first round talents.

Back
Top Bottom