Philosophical Changes I'd Love to See | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Philosophical Changes I'd Love to See

I find myself agreeing with your first paragraph. He has shown flashes of brilliance in play design for sure, and has called some great games as well, so it’s a bit like the QB. You’ve seen the flashes that he can be elite, so can you widdle down the dead wood that is keeping from arriving at the desired destination?

But, there is no question that he’s also made some obvious mistakes, especially on the road against good teams. Those losses all had similar elements:

1. Excessive penalties on the offense
2. Clock management issues
3. Often foolishly not taking the field goal in the red zone in the first quarter (poor judgement)
4. Too much passing on short yardage
5. Abandoning the run game in the second half when it was working in the first half (Play calling)
6. Clock management issues - Combo of operation being too slow, so going to the line of scrimmage not having enough time for the play to develop with all the motion and such before you snap the ball
7. Communication issues because of the crowd noise, so offense out of synch
8. And yes, injuries on the offensive line. We need to upgrade the depth here.
9. Tua’s turnovers, both fumbles and interceptions.

So, many of those issues are on McDaniel, and are pretty apparent to everyone watching the game which is why so many people are calling for him to relinquish play calling duties, and some overreacting and saying he should be fired. However, all of those issues are fixable, and if he can get it right, and fix those issues, then he has shown enough brilliance to potentially evolve into one of the most brilliant play callers in the game. That’s the upside which we shouldn’t be so quick to throw out.

Having said that, he needs to re-architect the offense for sure to incorporate:

-No Huddle Offense.
-simplified with less motion on the road and perhaps more audibles for Tua To get out of plays that aren’t likely to work based on what the defense is showing you.
-Run the ball in short yardage situations, and stay balanced
-And yes, you can keep the explosive stuff, but you can’t rely on it for everything and force it.
Nice post brother. I would also add in here to use your TE more. :ffic:

I got some issues with the play caller including time management but if we can get an above average OL that could play together for most of a season predictable can still work. See Ravens and Niners.

OL Matters. Think of TT (or any QB) with 4-5-6 minutes to find an open receiver. That said, that doesn't explain the consistent 2H problems.

Or at least get him help. Why do plays take so long getting in? Maybe McDaniel can improve. Honestly, I think he has to if Miami is going to be a legitimate playoff threat.

Maybe, the verbiage of the plays is why it takes so long getting in? The scheme is in part WCO based.

Elsewhere, I suggested that McD suffers from paralysis by analysis.

Then again, it may just be the yips. He knows what he wants but can't effectively communicate it.

Like the post, but my disagreement, if you will, is even if we were able to build the o line improvements, the offense is still going to have the over used motions on every single play almost. I mean, the overuse of the motion kills this offense in a couple ways.

1. We are unable to utilize a hurryup. This was confirmed by Tua himself in such words.

2. It doesn't allow Tua to make the proper I'd of the defense because he's too worried about getting the motion going in a ridiculous amount of time, like 5 second average.

3. The motions of players doesn't allow for any hot routes or adjustments. Even to players who aren't in motion because the motion dictates other routes.. That plus the good teams have figured that crap out and really don't pay any attention to it

Last night we seen some of the same plays, I mean, identical, to the plays we ran with little to no motion. And guess what, THEY WORKED. My opinion is McD has to cut out the over use of motion.

Leading into the second point. Your right about other teams calling TO because of the play clock but I'm willing to bet it's not at the level as us. This is second year and it got us in the last buffalo game and the KC game. Unexcusable.

I'm somewhere in the middle. I really began following in detail somewhere around '07. I've seen Cameron/Lemon, Sparano/Pennington, Sparano/Henne, Philbin/Tannehill, Gase/Tannehill, Gase/Cutler, Flores/Fitzpatrick, Flores/Tagovailoa and now McDaniel/Tagovailoa.

I totally understand the frustration from fans but we have to bear that. It's not Tua's fault what happened 20 years ago. That's like mistreating the 2nd son because of what the 1st one did. We as fans have to be able to separate the two and be adults.

On that note, Tua's always made the teams he's on better. He made all 4 of his WRs at Bama look like R1 picks. Ruggs was a bust and Jeudy's not doing anything to make things better in Denver. I bet a lot of people forget he's still there. Tua put up a 90 rating under a putrid Flores offense with very little coaching and virtually no help around him. He made Mack Hollins look like a real starter. Nobody even remembers who Devante Parker or Mike Gesicki even are now that Tua's not throwing to them. He's helped Jaylen Waddle launch his career to a place that'll surely get him paid. He's gotten to Tyreek Hill to a place where people are seriously calling a WR the "MVP of the league."

On a forum--people will mock Tua, sure--but in the real world of practical decision making smart people they see the pattern. Tua's always making what's around him better. Likewise, Grier did a great job on the roster. He built an incredibly deep defense that sustained an insane number of fluke injuries and the weakness of the OL was by design--it wasn't welcomed but it was understood as a less developed point on the roster that would need future attention. If Miami had the #1 offense think what could be done behind a good OL.

All of that's to say that I agree totally with your complaints and that's why Mike McDaniel absolutely IS under pressure to fix the stuff you're talking about. Cameron failed. Philbin sucked. Gase exposed himself. Flores ran himself out of town. At least McDaniel is willing to work with the front office and is producing some actual results, but that doesn't guarantee his future. He's still got a lot to prove in year 3 because he walked into a situation with Tyreek Hill, Jaylen Waddle and Tua Tagovailoa who are all good players and would've produced a lot without him.

Grier and Tua did their jobs and will continue to adjust as the year-to-year challenges change. Mike McDaniel is the one who's still in that phase of proving who he is. Can he design a legit offense? Can he orchestrate game-plans? Can he call plays? Can he be the leader of a franchise? Can he do all that stuff you lay out that'll take this offense to the next level?

I promise you behind the scenes Ross and Grier are sitting down and discussing how they feel about McDaniel now that they've seen him up close. And they're setting standards for what they need to see to make a final decision over the next 1-2 years.

I fully expect Ross to back Grier because he's done a good job. I expect Tua's efforts to be rewarded with a contract extension. But I expect McDaniel to do things to answer the question(s) you and others are asking.

This is also why I'm advocating we trade Tyreek Hill. It'll help the team with picks and money, which will go a long way to retaining the roster as we saw it this year, but it'll also put McDaniel in a position to really prove he can use the other pieces like a good OC. I trust Tua to be productive in a post-Tyreek world.

The question marks are all around McDaniel. You don't have to feel bad about asking for more.

Last edited:
Take play calling duties away from the guy who had the #1 ranked offense in the league? Hill, Mostert, Waddle, Achane and the entire offensive line was injured the last month of the season and barely could practice. But yeat, the problem is the coach and let’s trade our or bowl qb

Sorry but if you paid attention his calls especially situational were awful and he cost us a lot of close games. He’s great at designing play but not calling them. They constantly come in late as he just wings it as he doesn’t have time to plan in between series or adjust when defenses do. Notice how we usually always look good first few series because he has those pre planned but once we get into series 4 or more they temper off. We were abysmal in the 2nd half of games.

I'm somewhere in the middle. I really began following in detail somewhere around '07. I've seen Cameron/Lemon, Sparano/Pennington, Sparano/Henne, Philbin/Tannehill, Gase/Tannehill, Gase/Cutler, Flores/Fitzpatrick, Flores/Tagovailoa and now McDaniel/Tagovailoa.

I totally understand the frustration from fans but we have to bear that. It's not Tua's fault what happened 20 years ago. That's like mistreating the 2nd son because of what the 1st one did. We as fans have to be able to separate the two and be adults.

On that note, Tua's always made the teams he's on better. He made all 4 of his WRs at Bama look like R1 picks. Ruggs was a bust and Jeudy's not doing anything to make things better in Denver. I bet a lot of people forget he's still there. Tua put up a 90 rating under a putrid Flores offense with very little coaching and virtually no help around him. He made Mack Hollins look like a real starter. Nobody even remembers who Devante Parker or Mike Gesicki even are now that Tua's not throwing to them. He's helped Jaylen Waddle launch his career to a place that'll surely get him paid. He's gotten to Tyreek Hill to a place where people are seriously calling a WR the "MVP of the league."

On a forum--people will mock Tua, sure--but in the real world of practical decision making smart people they see the pattern. Tua's always making what's around him better. Likewise, Grier did a great job on the roster. He built an incredibly deep defense that sustained an insane number of fluke injuries and the weakness of the OL was by design--it wasn't welcomed but it was understood as a less developed point on the roster that would need future attention. If Miami had the #1 offense think what could be done behind a good OL.

All of that's to say that I agree totally with your complaints and that's why Mike McDaniel absolutely IS under pressure to fix the stuff you're talking about. Cameron failed. Philbin sucked. Gase exposed himself. Flores ran himself out of town. At least McDaniel is willing to work with the front office and is producing some actual results, but that doesn't guarantee his future. He's still got a lot to prove in year 3 because he walked into a situation with Tyreek Hill, Jaylen Waddle and Tua Tagovailoa who are all good players and would've produced a lot without him.

Grier and Tua did their jobs and will continue to adjust as the year-to-year challenges change. Mike McDaniel is the one who's still in that phase of proving who he is. Can he design a legit offense? Can he orchestrate game-plans? Can he call plays? Can he be the leader of a franchise? Can he do all that stuff you lay out that'll take this offense to the next level?

I promise you behind the scenes Ross and Grier are sitting down and discussing how they feel about McDaniel now that they've seen him up close. And they're setting standards for what they need to see to make a final decision over the next 1-2 years.

I fully expect Ross to back Grier because he's done a good job. I expect Tua's efforts to be rewarded with a contract extension. But I expect McDaniel to do things to answer the question(s) you and others are asking.

This is also why I'm advocating we trade Tyreek Hill. It'll help the team with picks and money, which will go a long way to retaining the roster as we saw it this year, but it'll also put McDaniel in a position to really prove he can use the other pieces like a good OC. I trust Tua to be productive in a post-Tyreek world.

The question marks are all around McDaniel. You don't have to feel bad about asking for more.
Bottom line, they all have one more friggan year to prove it otherwise the actual house cleaning that should have been done years ago needs to happen. I'm not as soft on Grier as you are. Understand some of your points but he is the one constant that's somehow lasted through the multiple regimes you pointed out. He was a scout, we've had shitty drafts, he's the gm, out team can't win an effing playoff game. The absolute ONLY reason I give him one more year is so I can clean house next year if needed.

Like the post, but my disagreement, if you will, is even if we were able to build the o line improvements, the offense is still going to have the over used motions on every single play almost. I mean, the overuse of the motion kills this offense in a couple ways.

1. We are unable to utilize a hurryup. This was confirmed by Tua himself in such words.

2. It doesn't allow Tua to make the proper I'd of the defense because he's too worried about getting the motion going in a ridiculous amount of time, like 5 second average.

3. The motions of players doesn't allow for any hot routes or adjustments. Even to players who aren't in motion because the motion dictates other routes.. That plus the good teams have figured that crap out and really don't pay any attention to it

Last night we seen some of the same plays, I mean, identical, to the plays we ran with little to no motion. And guess what, THEY WORKED. My opinion is McD has to cut out the over use of motion.

Leading into the second point. Your right about other teams calling TO because of the play clock but I'm willing to bet it's not at the level as us. This is second year and it got us in the last buffalo game and the KC game. Unexcusable.

I don’t think you motion needs to be wiped out, it has its purpose for getting tyreek open but 5-10 plays a game is fine, not every single one. When it’s used every single time it becomes predictable.

Bottom line, they all have one more friggan year to prove it otherwise the actual house cleaning that should have been done years ago needs to happen. I'm not as soft on Grier as you are. Understand some of your points but he is the one constant that's somehow lasted through the multiple regimes you pointed out. He was a scout, we've had shitty drafts, he's the gm, out team can't win an effing playoff game. The absolute ONLY reason I give him one more year is so I can clean house next year if needed.
I am wondering if that conversation was had that this is the year it needs to happen or significant changes will take place in the organization. :ffic:

I don’t think you motion needs to be wiped out, it has its purpose for getting tyreek open but 5-10 plays a game is fine, not every single one. When it’s used every single time it becomes predictable.
That's what I mean. It doesn't need to be wiped out completely. But last night we seen Shanahan offense with the same plays but much less motion. McDaniel trying to be too cute with this crap.

Kids Lemons GIF by Storyful

Back
Top Bottom