Phins and HD on D* Sunday Ticket? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Phins and HD on D* Sunday Ticket?

yankeehillbilly said:
not really.
there are 17 weeks in the season, but since every team gets a bye, there are essentially 16 full weeks of play.
32teams=16gamesperweek
16 games/week -2 games on primetime = 14 games/week

14gamesperweek * 16weeks = 224 regular season games per season played on Sunday and thus on Sunday Ticket.

DTV only intends to air "over 100" in HD

you have to divide that by half as we only play at 1pm all season (except like 2 games) so 112 shows they brodcast 2 at a time or three i forget so thats custs the nmber down to 56. so 56 /14 (2 later games) 3.85, so its rough statistics but theres about a 1 in 4 chance that the phins game will be on the HD channels each week.

SO if I have an HD receive (No tivo) its not gonna be obsolete when they make the change?

awing_pilot said:
Ok you need:

HDTV ready TV
HDTV reciver or HDTV tivo ($750)
an eliptical dish (with thre mount things on it)
For local off air HD you need an antenna untill Directv stars broadcasting locals in HD

The HD package is like $10.00 a month on top of your normal bill and if you have hbo, showtime, etc you get there HD's for free. if i were you I'd wwait till the fall as Directv is adding over 150 channels over the next year (includes locals in HD) and changing from mpg2 stream to mpg4 which will make your current equipment (HDtivo only) Obsolete.

I hate watching football in standard def so once you switch it hurts to watch non HD games or shows for that matter. Just a warning that HD is like crack you can't get enough and they can't put out enough Content fast enough.

Heres shows i watch in HD:
Lost
ER
The O.C.
Scrubs
all sorts of reality shows
NFL (NFL network has game of the week in HD)
ESPN
HD SPORTS
Discovery
HBO
Showtime
PPV
HDNET

pretty much any major tv show is simulcast in HD

I agree...once my family got HD, there was no turning back. Nothing is the same anymore on regular non-hd. I cant wait to see football on HD tho, because it will be my first time.

no the tivo was designed to only handle mpg 2 not mpg 4 so only the hdtivos will have an issue according to the forums, Directv will generly replace all your equipment (free of charge with a service contract renewal). If your equipment allows it it DTV will flash to handle mpg4 compression

Hopefully it will be on for the away games seeing as though ill be watching real definition from the lower level 50.

awing_pilot said:
no the tivo was designed to only handle mpg 2 not mpg 4 so only the hdtivos will have an issue according to the forums, Directv will generly replace all your equipment (free of charge with a service contract renewal). If your equipment allows it it DTV will flash to handle mpg4 compression

So Directv HD receivers without Tivo don't need to be replaced when the switch to the new satellites happen?

FinaticPatch said:
Hopefully it will be on for the away games seeing as though ill be watching real definition from the lower level 50.

I have season tickets and have sat close and far, HD has better quality then real life ( thanks to zoom lenses) however you don't feel the 70K fans at home so thats one of the main reasons i go

My understanding is that pretty much all of the existing HD customers (about 500k) will have to have their receivers upgraded, except those that sign up for the Spaceway internet service. DTV has stated that they will upgrade the receivers for free but they haven’t announced exactly how they will handle the existing HDTivo units. I believe DTV wont be renewing their contract with Tivo after it expires in a year or two, so they likely will upgrade the current HDTivo's with the DVR unit they’ve been developing in house.

DTV plans to provide HD locals to their biggest 12 markets this year or early next year and then continue to fan out from there. It will probably be 2007 before they completely roll out their new HD service (including locals and nationals).

I think that if you're going to pay the extra $99 for the HD package, that Directv should gaurantee that your team is available in HD. For instance, if you call to obtain the HD package, you should be able to know in advance if the Phins are going to be represented. If not then you should be able to say that Directv is not fulfilling their portion of the request and be able to recieve either a "pro-rated" subscription or not charged at all.

Last year there was only a handful of the early games on HD, like 4 or 5 of the 7 noon games, and usually all of the late games. If a subscriber wishes to pay the additional $99 for the HD package, all of the games should be broadcast in HD, in my opinion.

awing_pilot said:
you have to divide that by half as we only play at 1pm all season (except like 2 games) so 112 shows they brodcast 2 at a time or three i forget so thats custs the nmber down to 56. so 56 /14 (2 later games) 3.85, so its rough statistics but theres about a 1 in 4 chance that the phins game will be on the HD channels each week.

I think the odds of catching a Phins game in HD will depend on how many viewers DTV thinks would watch the Phins game. Our 4-12 record will hurt our chances early in the season in that respect. Later on its all up to the team...if they play well and win a few games, then the thought may be that the Phins could provide an exciting game worthy of being broadcast in HD. If they struggle, then DTV is not going to dedicate the bandwidth to a game that would likely garner few viewers when there are more exciting matchups availiable.

Back
Top Bottom