Play GM - combine how you would handle FA with draft game | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Play GM - combine how you would handle FA with draft game

normaniii

Active Roster
Reaction score
I posted this in draft forum, but the reason I posted was because I wanted people to post how they would handle FA & draft, not just criticise others.

First - who would you re-sign, release & sign

Second - how would you handle draft - http://first-pick.com/Default.aspx

Mine is as follows:-

Resign
Starks

Grimes
Chris Clemons

Release
Dimitri Patterson
Matt Moore

Sign
LT - Anthony Collins
RB - Joique Bell
RT/OG - Ebon Britton
OG - Jon Asamoah
MLB - Vincent Ray
CB - Drayton Florence

Draft
Round 1 Pick 19: Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame (B+)
Round 2 Pick 18: David Yankey, OG, Stanford (A)
Round 3 Pick 21 (G.B.): DaQuan Jones, DT, Penn State (A)
Round 4 Pick 16: Daniel McCullers, DT, Tennessee (B)
Round 4 Pick 28 (CAR): Mike Davis, WR, Texas (A)
Round 5 Pick 15: Ross ****rell, CB, Duke (B+)
Round 5 Pick 28 (CAR): Rashaad Reynolds, CB, Oregon State (A-)
Round 6 Pick 14: A.J. McCarron, QB, Alabama (A)
Round 7 Pick 19: Ryan Grant, WR, Tulane (A)

Norman, I really like your vision. Building in the trenches bigtime early in the draft and picking up an excellent QB in McCarron later on. Free agent list is also very strong. Out of the FA and rookie linemen, what do you envision as the starting 5 on the o-line. I like the way you added depth on the o-line also. I have to admit not knowing a great deal about Vincent Ray. Is he the answer to improving our run defense?

Brett, don't be a prick bro. The guy is sharing his thoughts.... respect that. Also, I love getting two plug and play guards in the first two rounds. Not sexy.... but needed.

I like ur draft norman, but how'd u come by extra 4th&5th rd picks? Like fishfan below me said, and i agree with him...i'd swap one of the DTs for a RB. Otherwise, i also like what u did. Nice job.

Last edited by a moderator:
These guys agree with your first pick in the draft.

DRAFTNIKS SAY DOLPHINS WILL DRAFT NOTRE DAME TACKLE: Dueling ESPN draftniks Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay don't agree on much, including who'll go No. 1 overall to Houston in May's NFL Draft. Kiper says QB Johnny Manziel; McShay says DE Jadevon Clowney. But the warring nerds do agree in their latest mock drafts that that, Miami, at No. 19, will select Notre Dame OT Zack Martin . Seems logical. He's 6-4 and 308, it's a position of desperate need, and he's said to be pro-ready.

Martin at tackle. Why does his name have to be Martin ????

I'd swap out one of the D linemen for a running back. Other than that it looks solid

We have two huge weak links.... OL and LB. Unfortunately we're stuck at LBer thanks to Jeff Ireland. O line will be addressed in Free Agency as well as the draft. Our defense will regress once again with Ellerbe and Wheeler, so why not upgrade where we can on defense? We need a hard hitting safety.... enter Jairus Byrd. I know he's expensive, but pair him with Jones, and bring in two good lineman and we have shot. Thoughts?

Round 1 Pick 21 (G.B.): Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan (B+)
Round 2 Pick 18: Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG, UCLA (A)
Round 2 Pick 20 (ARI): Will Sutton, DT, Arizona State (A)
Round 2 Pick 26 (N.O.): C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa (A-)
Round 3 Pick 27 (N.O.): Bryan Stork, C, Florida State (A)
Round 4 Pick 21 (G.B.): Jeremy Hill, RB, LSU (A)
Round 4 Pick 22 (PHI): Donte Moncrief, WR, Ole Miss (A)
Round 5 Pick 16 (CHI): Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska (A)
Round 6 Pick 14: Aaron Lynch, DE, South Florida (B-)
Round 7 Pick 19: Gabe Ikard, C, Oklahoma (B)
Round 7 Pick 25 (S.D.): De'Anthony Thomas, RB, Oregon (B+)

Norman, I really like your vision. Building in the trenches bigtime early in the draft and picking up an excellent QB in McCarron later on. Free agent list is also very strong. Out of the FA and rookie linemen, what do you envision as the starting 5 on the o-line. I like the way you added depth on the o-line also. I have to admit not knowing a great deal about Vincent Ray. Is he the answer to improving our run defense?

I would love Zach Martin to nail down the RT spot. Thereafter I just wanted competition along the line. The idea of Britton, Brenner, Garner, Dallas Thomas, Jon Asamoah & Yankey all competing for two spots excites me.

I like ur draft norman, but how'd u come by extra 4th&5th rd picks? Like fishfan below me said, and i agree with him...i'd swap one of the DTs for a RB. Otherwise, i also like what u did. Nice job.

There was a lot of DT available in 3rd, so I traded down and took the best available. I then did same in 4th with WR.

---------- Post added at 08:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 AM ----------

Round 1 Pick 21 (G.B.): Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan (B+)
Round 2 Pick 18: Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG, UCLA (A)
Round 2 Pick 20 (ARI): Will Sutton, DT, Arizona State (A)
Round 2 Pick 26 (N.O.): C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa (A-)
Round 3 Pick 27 (N.O.): Bryan Stork, C, Florida State (A)
Round 4 Pick 21 (G.B.): Jeremy Hill, RB, LSU (A)
Round 4 Pick 22 (PHI): Donte Moncrief, WR, Ole Miss (A)
Round 5 Pick 16 (CHI): Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska (A)
Round 6 Pick 14: Aaron Lynch, DE, South Florida (B-)
Round 7 Pick 19: Gabe Ikard, C, Oklahoma (B)
Round 7 Pick 25 (S.D.): De'Anthony Thomas, RB, Oregon (B+)

I love some of the picks there.....but how would you handle Free Agency

This is what I would do

1Sign Starks and grimes.
2 Restructure Dimitri Patterson.
3 Let Paul Soliali leave. you cannot pay all of them and he is a good run stuffer. Draft one. Do not overpay back ups. Overpay your stars or high performers
4 trade dion Jordan to Eagles for 1st round and 2nd round. It's crazy I know but we have two good de rush ends and he's a luxury pick

Draft

Take your own 1st round 19 th and extra second from dion Jordan and select OlB Khalil Brown
With Eagles 1st round pick go Mich Lt Lewan or elite size/speed TE

That will give you two starters. In first round you must get LT, TE, De/old or cover corners. No guards, ILB, Dt WR or Safety. Those are later rounds

I hate New England but they routinely go this way. ask yourself what would they do because what they are doing is more

Trade Matt Moore for 4 th or 5th round. Would you want to pay 4 or 5 mil for a back up that plays once in a blue moon.

resign
Starks
Grimes
Clemons
Mckinnie (put at RT or backup LT)
Keller

Release
nobody but try and restructure Patterson

Sign
Albert- LT
Asamaoh- G
Gerhart- RB

Draft
Round 1 Pick 19: Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame (B+)
Round 2 Pick 18: David Yankey, OG, Stanford (A)
Round 3 Pick 17: Troy Niklas, TE, Notre Dame (A)
Round 4 Pick 16: Ka'Deem Carey, RB, Arizona (A)
Round 5 Pick 15: Ryan Carrethers, DT, Arkansas State (B+)
Round 6 Pick 14: Rashaad Reynolds, CB, Oregon State (A)
Round 7 Pick 19: Tre Boston, FS, North Carolina (B+)

That draft game is very unrealistic, it let me trade like 80 times and I ended up with like 17 picks, so i'll just post what I already did in another thread as my ideal offseason:

Resign:
Brent Grimes - CB
Chris Clemons - S
Paul Soliai - DT

Trade:
Jon Martin - RT (7th rd)

June 1st Cuts:
Matt Moore - QB
Dimitri Patterson - CB

Restructure:
Mike Wallace - WR

Free Agent: