Players I Liked At the Combine | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Players I Liked At the Combine

Frank B

Starter
Reaction score
I watched extensive coverage of the scouting combine over the weekend, and there were some players that really caught my eye.

--For offensive line help, I really liked Nick Mangold from Ohio St. at the center position, but I also liked Greg Eslinger from Minnesota.

--Eric Winston showed improved mobility from the Senior Bowl and still might be able to handle the LT spot.

--At tackle, I also liked Andre Whitworth from LSU and Daryn Colledge from Boise State.

--As a swing guy, Jason Spitz from Lousville looked good. Spitz plays all three interior positions.

I saw a couple of sleepers at the WR position.
--Chris Hannon from Tennessee was tall, fast, and he catches the ball really well.

--Devin Aromashodu from Auburn worked out really well and looked fluid as a pass catcher, but his routes looked a little raw. J

--Jason Avant from Michigan has natural hands and is already polished as a route runner, but he doesn't have the explosive capability of the others.

I intently watched all of the quarterbacks throw and a couple of guys stood out.
--Jay Cutler could be very good in the NFL, but his footwork is very inconsistent and it throws his mechanics out of whack.

--Omar Jacobs still has that 3/4 delivery, but it works well because I did not see him make a bad throw. He was probably the most accurate QB in all of the sessions.

--Brodie Croyle from Alabama looked solid but needs work on his footwork.

--Charlie Whitehurst lfrom Clemson looks like the total package, but the analysts continued to question his inconsistent decision making.

--The biggest sleeper of the bunch was Ingle Martin from Furman. This kid has size, athleticism, a live arm, and accuracy. I remember Martin transferred from Florida because he could not beat out Rex Grossman. He had a lot of poise during the workouts...he just looks like a QB.

Chad Jackson, as if I wasn't high on him enough anyway.
Vernon Davis
Marques Colston
Jerrrious Norwood
Broderick Bunkley

Honorable Mention:
Omar Jacobs, obvious he has worked on his mechanics although still not great.

Frank B said:
I watched extensive coverage of the scouting combine over the weekend, and there were some players that really caught my eye.

--For offensive line help, I really liked Nick Mangold from Ohio St. at the center position, but I also liked Greg Eslinger from Minnesota.

I like these two centers as well. Mangold will not be there with our second pick, but Eslinger could be around with our third pick. I don't think we will draft either one, especially if we sign who I hope to sign....LeCharles Bentley.

Frank B said:
--At tackle, I also liked Andre Whitworth from LSU and Daryn Colledge from Boise State.

These two are completely opposite, when it comes to strenghth. Whitworth did really well with bench press (30+), while Colledge was the weakest of all; even QB Jay Cutler beat him out. Colledge will end up being a late round pick now, and since we don't have a 5th or 6th round pick, he will be off the board before our (3) 7th round picks.

Frank B said:
--Jay Cutler could be very good in the NFL, but his footwork is very inconsistent and it throws his mechanics out of whack.

--Omar Jacobs still has that 3/4 delivery, but it works well because I did not see him make a bad throw. He was probably the most accurate QB in all of the sessions.

--Brodie Croyle from Alabama looked solid but needs work on his footwork.

--Charlie Whitehurst lfrom Clemson looks like the total package, but the analysts continued to question his inconsistent decision making.

--The biggest sleeper of the bunch was Ingle Martin from Furman. This kid has size, athleticism, a live arm, and accuracy. I remember Martin transferred from Florida because he could not beat out Rex Grossman. He had a lot of poise during the workouts...he just looks like a QB.

Cutler is definitely out of reach now. Croyle is still an option, but Omar Jacobs is making a statement with his performance, so he will be worth the consideration with our 2nd and 3rd picks. I'm not sold on Whitehurst, and since he decided not to throw at the combine doesn't sit well with me to want to pick him earlier than the 4th round. Ingle is starting to intrigue me, I'm sure Jason Garrett and Mike Mularkey are doing everything they can to get material on him. He is definitely a sleeper right now.

kellen clemens looked good. he was considered as early as a 2nd rounder before his injury, could be quite a steal in the later rounds.

Frank B said:
--Eric Winston showed improved mobility from the Senior Bowl and still might be able to handle the LT spot.

--Devin Aromashodu from Auburn worked out really well and looked fluid as a pass catcher, but his routes looked a little raw. J

Aromashodu looked like he had brick hands from the little I saw. Winston looked much better without pads...but I still have questions...
Whitworth ALWAYS looks good without pads but did not impress much with his play,,,,and he jumps offsides and also whiffs...ALOT. Colledge is a developmental guy IMO...not strong enough yet and is light, 22 reps and 297 is not NFL ready yet...but he has great feet.

The other that impressed me.
OL Will Montgomery:much more athletic than I thought and also stronger...was always a good on the field player...now the measurables do not look like a question.
Obomanu, wr Auburn:Faster than I thought and displayed better hands than the other Auburn guys...but I only saw a little of the drills...
Chris Kuper: Saw some highlights and tape from Sr. Bowl practices also...quick hands and strong that has a mean streak. Nice broad base also.
Joe Toledo: Really impressed with this guy in the mirror drills. Good feet and a surprising athlete, I knew about Winston and Colledge but did not see this guy as being THAT athletic.
Ed Hinkle:Adjusted very well during QB drills and looked like he had "natural" hands. Snatched the ball and ran 4.51.
Wali Lundy: GREAT in shuttle drills and ran under 4.5. I always thought he played fast but did not know he had 4.45 speed. Looked stockier than i remember also....

I like Mangold too but I think he'll be gone late first or early 2nd....I don't think that Eslinger would fit in with us as he's way too small for what we're doing imo.

Ozzy rules!!

Here's some NON 1st rounder D-linemen that impressed me at the combine. Some of which could move to linebacker.

Parys Haralson- DE- Tenn.:Quick ,good feet.

Copeland Bryan-DE- Arizona

Ray Edward-DE- Purdue

Marcus Green-DT-Ohio State: Good feet for a big man.

John McCargo-DT-N.C. State: Very fast feet. Very impressive.

Chris Gocong-DE-Cal Poly: Exellent movement, moves like a linebacker. Think he'd be a great in the 3-4 D.

Here's some NON 1st rounder D-linemen that impressed me at the combine. Some of which could move to linebacker.

Parys Haralson- DE- Tenn.:Quick ,good feet.

I noticed Haralson during Senior Bowl workouts. He's got a great motor and he plays smart. Probably not the most explosive player, but he's always around the ball. If he's there in the 3rd, I would be happy to have him on the team.

Back
Top Bottom