Players lost in Court | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Players lost in Court

The players are going to court because they have been locked out. They don't want status quo CBA. WTF are you talking about? Ya, the players want a rookie to come in who hasn't proved anything to be given 50 million guaranteed. The players also want a higher percentage of the profits. Stop watching Peoples Court!

That is true. But that is not what the judge ordered, and it's not the case here.

The judge told them that she will rule in several weeks. She set the date for ruling. But in the meantime they better negotiate. This is not even mediation since there is no order to mediate as in classic cases for damages where parties mediate to curb the risks of lawsuit. This is not a classic trial case. This case is akin to ruling on determination of right--what are they to do under the law. And if the case be that players are right on point of law then the trial is simple since I don't think there are many points of fact the parties disagree on if any. there is really nothing to try.

It is my understanding that she will order them to mediation this week. She is taking the weekend to decide if Cohen should be the mediator or someone new.

Either way, she can not make them settle.

Please link the part of the article that said either side was going to be forced to agree to a deal before the judges ruling.

Nobody will be forced to settle. It will be all about which side will blink first. The players will cave in and the owners will close the gap. It will end it in a settlement, a new contract.
The parties were very close to reaching a deal before negotiations broke off. They were not that far apart.
The judges ruling will be given in a couple of weeks, and I am sure the players lawyers will drag this out until the players get tired of losing money. The whole thing is just a dog and pony show.
I never said it would be settled before the ruling. No link needed.

That is true. But that is not what the judge ordered, and it's not the case here.

The judge told them that she will rule in several weeks. She set the date for ruling. But in the meantime they better negotiate. This is not even mediation since there is no order to mediate as in classic cases for damages where parties mediate to curb the risks of lawsuit. This is not a classic trial case. This case is akin to ruling on determination of right--what are they to do under the law. And if the case be that players are right on point of law then the trial is simple since I don't think there are many points of fact the parties disagree on if any. there is really nothing to try.

U.S. District Judge Susan Richard Nelson, however, urged the two sides not to wait that long.
"It seems to me both sides are at risk, and now is a good time to come back to the table,'' Nelson said, noting her willingness to facilitate the resumption of talks toward a new collective bargaining agreement that would put pro football back on track.
Owners and players failed to reach that goal last month, leading to the decertification of the union, the lockout of the players and the antitrust lawsuit against the owners filed here by the players.
But the two sides don't agree on much these days.
James Quinn, an attorney for the players, said they'd "listen carefully'' to Nelson's recommendation. But David Boies, a lawyer for the league, hedged when asked about Nelson's offer to supervise talks.
"We don't need a settlement of this lawsuit,'' Boies said. "What we need is a collective bargaining agreement so that players can go on playing and the league can put on games. Until we have that, we're not going to make any progress.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...nfl.lockout.10th.ld.writethru.1318/index.html

Only after the two sides showed willingness to accept Nelson's recommendation did she get involved. And thats mainly to decide on the location. The two sides had been postering from a few states apart. She is now forcing it to get them to stop bickering. Up until all that happened, she had not ordered anything.

Judge Susan Richard Nelson told the NFL and NFL players that she will impose forced mediation on them early this week, sources familiar with the situation told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The league had wanted more mediation in Washington D.C., while federal mediator George Cohen and the NFL Players' Association wanted mediation in Minnesota.
Judge Nelson will decide what she feels is best and announce her decision early this week.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6324392
The NFL has tried to avoid Minnesota like it has a plague. The players love it because they have gotten favorable results there previously. And others have said: no one can force an agreement. Both sides have wanted to avoid negotiating until after this lawsuit(and appeal), both sides have gained nor lost anything in the past week.

ACTUALLY, this helps the players. The NFL wants the negotiations to be in Washington DC under a CBA. If held in Minn it is more binding by law (as apposed to a CBA) and the NFLPA has faired well in Minn. in the past. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6324392
So really this hasn't done anything until they decide where the negotiations are going to be, besides her saying you guys need to negotiate.

And how is that inconsistent with what I've been saying here? I am saying the same thing you are posting.

Nobody will be forced to settle. It will be all about which side will blink first. The players will cave in and the owners will close the gap. It will end it in a settlement, a new contract.
The parties were very close to reaching a deal before negotiations broke off. They were not that far apart.
The judges ruling will be given in a couple of weeks, and I am sure the players lawyers will drag this out until the players get tired of losing money. The whole thing is just a dog and pony show.
I never said it would be settled before the ruling. No link needed.

Please show me the link to confirm that statement.
Because everything i have heard was "we were no where near close". Had they been close, they would have extended the CBA deadline. In fact, several players have stated publically that "it was the worst deal in sports bargaining history".

In Saturday's letter, the players went through various parts of the offer the NFL made on the last day of negotiations.
"You had ample time over the last two years to make a proposal that would be fair to both sides, but you failed to do so. During the last week of the mediation, we waited the entire week for the NFL to make a new economic proposal," the players wrote to Goodell. "That proposal did not come until 12:30 (p.m.) on Friday, and, when we examined it, we found it was worse than the proposal the NFL had made the prior week when we agreed to extend the mediation."

http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports-blog/index.ssf/2011/03/nfl_lockout_2011_reactions_mix.html

Though i will agree this is a case of "who blinks first". To me, this forced mediation is Judge Nelson's way of saying "cut the crap".

I am proud to announce that players have lost in court, since I have no seen it reported like that anywhere.

What has been reported is that the judge is forcing mediation, or negotiations. In other words, the judge is telling the parties, the players, to sit down and negotiate.

This is not what the players went to court for. They went to court to get the court order to preserve status quo CBA. The players lost in court with that order from the bench.

In addition, any negotiated deal will inevitably be less favorable than the old CBA. Which is why the players did not want to negotiate in the first place and went to court.

What this means for fans is that the negotiations saga continues and may continue for months since court order is unlikely.

No you didn't, this is what you said, which is not correct in any sense.

Look man, The players want the court to decide the deal. They filed antitrust litigation. To them it's about antitrust. To owners it's about continued negotiation. Owners asked for continued negotiation. They got it from the judge. They won. What part of that don't you understand? And Speesh has posted evidence of that.

If they do the negotiations in Minn, under the Judge or someone she appoints, the players won, not the NFL. The players DO NOT want the old CBA, they want a higher percentage of profits. Both sides want a rookie cap. This is not a win or loss for either side. If anything it would be in the players favor because she may force the negotions to be in Minn (Law Suit) and not a CBA in DC.

she may force the negotions to be in Minn (Law Suit) and not a CBA in DC.

She absolutely will keep negotiations in Minn before the final ruling. Sending the negotiations to Washington would in effect be a ruling on Labor Law issue before the ruling, and that's not going to happen for a few weeks. So that is not even an issue I am raising.

In more colorful & simpler terms .... this lawsuit probably is no real big deal (but you never know).

The Players are just trying to get a good clamp on the Owner's nutz (collusion). The Owners already have a good clamp on the Player's nutz (Fall paychecks).

The nutz twisting will come in later lawsuits. i.e. the Brady anti-trust case.

Can't tell who's going to give in from the pain or when.

Judge Karen (& all future judges) is simply saying ... no nutz twisting boys ... please talk about your problems & negotiate.

Back
Top Bottom