Players to look at in the draft... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Players to look at in the draft...

Bodzilla29

The Shiznit
Reaction score
Here are some players we should be looking at in the draft

TE: Doug Jolley, BYU; Matt Schobel, TCU - 3rd round; Keith Heinrich, Sam Houston State; Darnell Sanders, Ohio State - 4-5 round; Derek Smith round 5

OL: Seth McKinney, Texas A&M; Eric Heitman, Stanford; Edward Ta'amu, Utah - 3rd round; Melvin Paige - 4th round; Atris Hicks, Memphis; Matt Hill, Boise State - 6th round

DE: Kenyon Coleman, UCLA; Carlos Hall, Arkansas - 3-4 round; Michael Josiah, Louisville - 5th round

LB: David Thornton, UNC - 4th round; Kevin Bentley, Northwestern - 5th round; Will Witherspoon, Georgia - 6th round

If we ended up with some combination of these players we would be doing ok. Lots of depth in that list, with some players having the ability to become effective starters in a year or 2.

some more

Dolphins | Looking at Ball - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
10:38 PT: The Miami Dolphins will have a pre-draft visit with New Hampshire C Jason Ball.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/tracker/player?id=4098
A tough, feisty and very aggressive player who seems to have some Conrad Dobler in him. Has game smarts and good vision.
nice :cool:

Dolphins | Walker to Visit - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
10:38 PT: The Miami Dolphins will have a pre-draft visit with Pittsburgh S Ramone Walker.

also sounds good http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/tracker/player?id=3948

Very, very aggressive. Big hitter. Has receivers hearing footsteps.
:judge:

The Dolphins also had Randy McMichael in for a workout, and he could be a 3rd round option as a TE.

I still think Miami will make a move up to get Terrence Metcalf if he drops into the middle part of the third round.

Think he lasts that long? I remember last year when he was considering coming out early he was projected to Miami by a few people in the first round.

He would be great at #3. McMichael I assume will be gone by 90.

Some scouts are down on Metcalf. PFW has him rated 81st overall, which puts him in range if teams go by how PFW ranks players. A lot of teams do.

Randy McMichael is rated 109th by PFW.

kb21...........

Originally posted by KB21
The Dolphins also had Randy McMichael in for a workout, and he could be a 3rd round option as a TE.

I still think Miami will make a move up to get Terrence Metcalf if he drops into the middle part of the third round.

I just don't see Metcalf dropping that far to the third. I believe he'll be taken in the early/to mid 2nd round in the end.

If we are looking at Walker that could be a sign that we want to trade up. He is very good and might not make it to our pick.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
If we are looking at Walker that could be a sign that we want to trade up. He is very good and might not make it to our pick.
trading up is gonna be real tough since we have so few picks in 2002 and cannot trade our 1st, 2nd or 3rd w/o messing up the Ricky trade. :eek:

I wonder...

if trading up is the answer...maybe trading down might make even more sense...if the names you mentioned are whats available... Don't get me wrong...I like Walker and I really like Metcalf, but this a great year for tightends...and I think you probably get a similar player in the early fourth round as you do at the end of the third (providing Jerame Stevens is not available).

It seems to be Terry Jones, Schobel, Jolley, Heinrich, Sanders are all pretty much equal all things be considered.

As for the guards and hypothetical tackles you mentioned Bodzilla, they are mostly project players...I think you should still try and get a starter with the 3rd rounder, almost no matter what the position.

Furthermore, I don't think Miami has the luxury of limiting themselves to OL or TE with that third round pick...
you have taks somewhat what is there.

What ever happened to Jaoquin Gonzalez? He was a reach at our third pick before. I have seen him going in the fifth round on other mock drafts and it seems everyone in this forum has forgotten him. What about Akin Ayodele at DE too? He can be good out of the fifth round or so. No word on a punter? I know they are a waste of a draft pick, but I think what's his face from Ohio and Travis Dorsch are worth a sixth or seventh. Better than a 45 or so old Royals or a developing unsigned FA.

Haven't forgotten about Gonzalez

and I would be happy with him as a 5th rounder...I just think that Miami should get a legimitate possible starter in the third...wherever that might be...DE,OT, TE, OG, LB, S, WR...wherever...I believe in drafting for need, but how many starting LTs are you going to find in round 3, especially year one starting tackles.

Re: Haven't forgotten about Gonzalez

Originally posted by RHoffman
and I would be happy with him as a 5th rounder...I just think that Miami should get a legimitate possible starter in the third...wherever that might be...DE,OT, TE, OG, LB, S, WR...wherever...I believe in drafting for need, but how many starting LTs are you going to find in round 3, especially year one starting tackles.

Well we won't take a OG or S in round 3 (althogh maybe we should when it comes to a guard). If a MLB is there I would jump on it. Zach isn't getting younger and we could spell him more early in the season to save him for late. (Playing at home early in the year not only effects the road team. Long term it wears down the home team.) Unlike most I don't see the huge need to draft a DE. If a OT of the future is there, grab him. If a TE is there by god jump all over it.

For some reason our franchsie thinks our WR's are probably good enough, I don't see us making a move there at all on draft day.

Back
Top Bottom