Playoffs or not, Ireland's got to go | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Playoffs or not, Ireland's got to go

iambanned

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Just reading the breakdown of his career failures with offensive line draft picks and free agent busts tells me that there is a level of incompetence that is just not tolerable. Add in the fact that we spent 2 2nd-round picks for Marshall and got two 3rds back with no playoff appearances in his too-short tenure and just a whole bevy more of total clown shoes moves? Come.On.
You just can't squander resources like that. They're just too precious to be left in the hand of someone who has PROVEN to fail at the most critical part of his job. Then, add in the fact that he's not respected by players league wide and the whole executive branch seem like douchebags and you have a recipe for contraction or relocation of the franchise. He inspires loathing.

After squeaking out a win vs NE, I said it was up to the players, but the utter lack of depth and talent at OT, OG and LB just makes contending for playoff legitimacy a non-reality. Then you factor in that our coaching has proven pretty clueless and out of their depth, at least with Philbin and Sherman (package deal, as well as the sick nepotism of the QB coach hire) and there's just an insane level of incompetence there.

Sherman was Tanny's set of training wheels in year one (when Ireland's WR debacle crippled Tanny's chance at rookie success), but those training wheels are nothing but a hindrance.

Listen, tenure has to be earned. Good executives stay because they're good, not the other way around. I think people confuse the dynamic. Stability is earned by competence.

Ross needs a GM that can look at our current roster and determine who the right coaches would be to maximize our personnel with the least amount of roster tweaking. Who has the scheme concepts to best utilize our talent? Certainly not Sherman and Coyle's stewardship is in some question as well. As far as Philbin goes, I'm just not sure there's a 'there' there. I've been floating the term 'cipher' since Hard Knocks regarding Philbin. Guys like Dansby are run out of town while 'cheap-shot' Wheeler is brought in to flat-out lose us ball games. You could tell that Philbin hated the leadership council. How dare veteran players assert leadership!
These are Ireland's guys. I think they gotz t' Go-Go Go.

Just reading the breakdown of his career failures with offensive line draft picks and free agent busts tells me that there is a level of incompetence that is just not tolerable. Add in the fact that we spent 2 2nd-round picks for Marshall and got two 3rds back with no playoff appearances in his too-short tenure and just a whole bevy more of total clown shoes moves? Come.On.
You just can't squander resources like that. They're just too precious to be left in the hand of someone who has PROVEN to fail at the most critical part of his job. Then, add in the fact that he's not respected by players league wide and the whole executive branch seem like douchebags and you have a recipe for contraction or relocation of the franchise. He inspires loathing.

After squeaking out a win vs NE, I said it was up to the players, but the utter lack of depth and talent at OT, OG and LB just makes contending for playoff legitimacy a non-reality. Then you factor in that our coaching has proven pretty clueless and out of their depth, at least with Philbin and Sherman (package deal, as well as the sick nepotism of the QB coach hire) and there's just an insane level of incompetence there.

Sherman was Tanny's set of training wheels in year one (when Ireland's WR debacle crippled Tanny's chance at rookie success), but those training wheels are nothing but a hindrance.

Listen, tenure has to be earned. Good executives stay because they're good, not the other way around. I think people confuse the dynamic. Stability is earned by competence.

Ross needs a GM that can look at our current roster and determine who the right coaches would be to maximize our personnel with the least amount of roster tweaking. Who has the scheme concepts to best utilize our talent? Certainly not Sherman and Coyle's stewardship is in some question as well. As far as Philbin goes, I'm just not sure there's a 'there' there. I've been floating the term 'cipher' since Hard Knocks regarding Philbin. Guys like Dansby are run out of town while 'cheap-shot' Wheeler is brought in to flat-out lose us ball games. You could tell that Philbin hated the leadership council. How dare veteran players assert leadership!
These are Ireland's guys. I think they gotz t' Go-Go Go.

Great. Your wish is on its way. No worries. Don't lose sleep tonight. Hope for a Jets victory and you're golden. .

I have to agree, we are always fixing the OL, and it has come back and bit us this year. If we get in the playoffs, it will be in spite of Jeff Ireland.

We are not to bad for being the worst ran team in the league huh?

Sorry... as much as I dislike Ireland and would love to see him FIRED!! There is no way I can root for the team to lose to the JETS... never... no way... no how

Well if Ireland is gone we HAVE to fire the entire coaching staff. This team has plenty of talent to out perform our record. Talent isn't the problem, the coaching staff should be ashamed to take a paycheck. The two bills games alone should be enough to get this staff fired. Personally I would keep Ireland and the staff because I see this team heading in the right direction, but if either Ireland OR the staff has to be fired, I would much rather keep the GM.

The one thing that fans don't seem to realize is that firing the GM is basically hitting the reset button. Meaning we are looking at another 2 years under a new GM to get his coaches, players and system in place just to get back to where we are now. Successful teams don't continue to hit the reset button every year when they aren't in the superbowl, they let their front office learn from their mistakes like the players do.

Two years ago Ireland couldn't get us a QB, he got us a QB. Last year our QB didn't have enough weapons, he brought in weapons, now this year we don't have an OL, give him time and all the leaks will be plugged. There isn't a team in the league that doesn't have holes. It is up to the coaches to overcome the holes and plan around them. So far this GM has been fixing the holes but our coaches can't play around them when they really need to.

No to firing Ireland. Did a Dolphins fan actually suggest we lose to the jets? You are no Dolphins fan and should have your card revoked. You are the worst fan ever.

The problems we have come from both the personnel department and the coaching staff. We never seem to draft or sign the right players, but when we do they're never used properly and they go tear it up for teams that actually utilize their talent. Reggie Bush and Brandon Marshall are two easy examples of this off the top of my head, although obviously you can't blame this coaching staff for anything Brandon Marshall related.... Except for maybe having a hand in his departure.
I do however think Ireland should go before the coaching staff for a few simple reasons. The offensive line is in shambles, we have fringe NFL players at RB on the roster (two of which were drafted relatively high for RBs), our receivers are good NOT great but highly overpaid, our secondary is largely talentless outside of Grimes on a one year deal, Reshad Jones has been a major disappointment since re-signing, Cutting Dansby and Burnett for Ellerbee and Wheeler was obviously a huge mistake, and trading Brandon Marshall away for two 3rds is still the most outrageous thing I've ever heard of in my life. I don't care how you want to rationalize it, Brandon Marshall is awesome and dumping him for what will amount to Michael Egnew and Dallas Thomas or Will Davis, whatever, is ****ing atrocious.
Ireland did well in finding Ryan Tannehill and getting him SOME weapons, but he hasnt put enough talent on this roster all around to make me feel good about him going forward.

Well if Ireland is gone we HAVE to fire the entire coaching staff. This team has plenty of talent to out perform our record. Talent isn't the problem, the coaching staff should be ashamed to take a paycheck. The two bills games alone should be enough to get this staff fired. Personally I would keep Ireland and the staff because I see this team heading in the right direction, but if either Ireland OR the staff has to be fired, I would much rather keep the GM.

The one thing that fans don't seem to realize is that firing the GM is basically hitting the reset button. Meaning we are looking at another 2 years under a new GM to get his coaches, players and system in place just to get back to where we are now. Successful teams don't continue to hit the reset button every year when they aren't in the superbowl, they let their front office learn from their mistakes like the players do.

Two years ago Ireland couldn't get us a QB, he got us a QB. Last year our QB didn't have enough weapons, he brought in weapons, now this year we don't have an OL, give him time and all the leaks will be plugged. There isn't a team in the league that doesn't have holes. It is up to the coaches to overcome the holes and plan around them. So far this GM has been fixing the holes but our coaches can't play around them when they really need to.
That's exactly how I would describe the situation...

and one more year 4 everyone. unless mr. ross says otherwise,which means philbin's opinion isvery important.

I think Martin f'd this team on the OL. Ireland cant be a genius to know he would pull this stunt. the only thing here could be the golf course deal and Ireland deciding to keep incog. lot of money wasted this year.

Just curious, how often do GM's get fired after making the playoffs?

Can't imagine its happened too often. Still though, look at his 2nd round picks since being here. Even if you want to say he's not responsible for Pat White because that was a Parcells guy, whatever. In reality he hasnt drafted a single player besides Charles Clay outside of the first round who isn't totally replaceable.
Even his first round picks aren't anything special. I'm sold on Tannehill now, but Dion Jordan hasn't done anything, Pouncey is a good player but centers grow on trees, Odrick is good but we could have had Dez Bryant or Demaryius Thomas, and Gronk or Hernandez later in that draft. That could have set us up very nicely offensively at this point.
The bottom line is that Jeff Ireland has been at best unimpressive and at worst incompetent over the last few years. If you take 08 and 09 into account, then the guy shouldve been out the door with Soprano. We can do a lot better than Jeff.

If you want to say Hernandez and Gronk would have suffered the same fate by now in Miami, then we could have had Pitta as well. He went in rd. 4 that year.

Back
Top Bottom