Please help me break down what teams need a QB and what QB's are available | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Please help me break down what teams need a QB and what QB's are available

Fin-Loco

Grilling Chicken Little
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Okay,

We need to break this down once and for all. What teams ahead of us in the draft NEED a QB. What Qb's are going to be available in FA and in the draft that would help the Phins. Let's all forget about who WANTS who. Let's just give us the facts. I'd like for us to have a list of who's available and who needs a QB that might inhibit us from picking a particular someone.

Until we do this all we have is mish mash.

Mods, could you please leave this on the Dolphins site for a while as it really pertains to us?

BALLS DEEP said:
Okay,

We need to break this down once and for all. What teams ahead of us in the draft NEED a QB. What Qb's are going to be available in FA and in the draft that would help the Phins. Let's all forget about who WANTS who. Let's just give us the facts. I'd like for us to have a list of who's available and who needs a QB that might inhibit us from picking a particular someone.

Until we do this all we have is mish mash.

Mods, could you please leave this on the Dolphins site for a while as it really pertains to us?
I wanted to see the same thing, thanks for making this post.

best FA QB are Josh McCown and Chris Simms

teams who need a QB ahead of us are Saints, Titans, maybe the Jets, Raiders, Lions, and Cardinals

we aren't going to get Cutler unless we move to the top 10

ok ima do it like this... an X next to their name means they could use a quarterback... a Y means that their number 1 priority should be getting a QB...

1. Houston - X
2. New Orleans - XY
3. Tennessee - XY
4. N.Y. Jets
5. Green Bay
6. Oakland - XY
7. San Francisco
8. Buffalo
9. Detroit - X
10. Arizona - XY
11. St. Louis
12. Cleveland
13. Baltimore - X
14. Philadelphia
15. Atlanta
16. Miami - XY

thats 4 Ys before our pick, meaning the chances of one of the top 3 falling to us is very minimal...

now FAs is a whole other story, arizona and dennis green could make a real push for culpepper, so could oakland, then you have phillip rivers/drew brees situation up in the air... david garrard might be a possibility for some team... and carr is a long shot...

but i think there will be at least 2 big QB moves (brees/rivers and culpepper) so that would take 2 Ys off the list and increase the probablity of one falling to us...

thats just my take on the situatoin...

arsenal said:
ok ima do it like this... an X next to their name means they could use a quarterback... a Y means that their number 1 priority should be getting a QB...

1. Houston - X
2. New Orleans - XY
3. Tennessee - XY
4. N.Y. Jets
5. Green Bay
6. Oakland - XY
7. San Francisco
8. Buffalo
9. Detroit - X
10. Arizona - XY
11. St. Louis
12. Cleveland
13. Baltimore - X
14. Philadelphia
15. Atlanta
16. Miami - XY

thats 4 Ys before our pick, meaning the chances of one of the top 3 falling to us is very minimal...

now FAs is a whole other story, arizona and dennis green could make a real push for culpepper, so could oakland, then you have phillip rivers/drew brees situation up in the air... david garrard might be a possibility for some team... and carr is a long shot...

but i think there will be at least 2 big QB moves (brees/rivers and culpepper) so that would take 2 Ys off the list and increase the probablity of one falling to us...

You forgot an xy next to the jets. I think they are done counting on Pennington.

Here's who's drafting in what order.
1. Texans
2. Saints
3. Titans
4. Jets
5. Packers
6. 49ers
7. Raiders
8. Bills
9. Lions
10. Cardinals
11. Rams
12. Browns
13. Ravens
14. Eagles
15. Falcons

Now we can easily say that #5 Packers, #6 49ers, #8 Bills, #11 Rams, and #14 Eagles WON'T take a QB. They either have a solid QB or have picked up their percieved starting QB in the last few years.

So, that leaves #1 Houston, #2 Saints, #3 Titans, #4 Jets, #9 Lions, #10 Cardinals, #12 Browns, and #13 Ravens to worry about. What is the status of these teams QB situation.

Here are the questions about those teams.

#1 Houston will either keep Carr or release him and draft a QB or trade for one. So that keeps them static.

#2. Saints will probably dump Brooks in favor of drafting one of the top three Qb's.

#3 Titans. Is their Back-up going to be starter? They'll release McNair.

#4. Jets. Will they keep Pennington? How big of a hit will they take if they cut him lose? Is his arm healed?

#7. Raiders. Is Kerry Collins the answer there? Do they have someone to plug in to replace him?

#9. Lions. Is Herrington on his way out?

#10 Cardinals. I have no idea what is happening on this team.

#12 Browns. Charlie Frye?

13. Ravens. Will Kyle Boller remain?

arsenal said:

1. Houston - X
2. New Orleans - XY
3. Tennessee - XY
4. N.Y. Jets
5. Green Bay
6. Oakland - XY
7. San Francisco
8. Buffalo
9. Detroit - X
10. Arizona - XY
11. St. Louis
12. Cleveland
13. Baltimore - X
14. Philadelphia
15. Atlanta
16. Miami - XY

Why do people keep putting Oakland as potential for drafting a QB?

They drafted a kid that they are pretty high on from what I've heard and read.

Andrew Walter.

ok tennessee true, maybe its not their number 1 need, but i thin kthey should get an X at least...

and as for the Jets, i dont know, i'll give them an X but their in cap hell right now, and pumping that much money into the QB position just doesn't make sense... but i'll give them an X too..

so updated

1. Houston - X
2. New Orleans - XY
3. Tennessee - X
4. N.Y. Jets - X
5. Green Bay
6. Oakland - XY
7. San Francisco
8. Buffalo
9. Detroit - X
10. Arizona - XY
11. St. Louis
12. Cleveland
13. Baltimore - X
14. Philadelphia
15. Atlanta
16. Miami - XY

Trekbiz said:
Why do people keep putting Oakland as potential for drafting a QB?

They drafted a kid that they are pretty high on from what I've heard and read.

Andrew Walter.

true, he was like a 3rd rounder... but if a big name like lienart or young fall to them, you dont think they'll take em? i'll downgrade them to an X, but i dont think they are fully comfortable at their QB position...

1. Houston - X
2. New Orleans - XY
3. Tennessee - X
4. N.Y. Jets - X
5. Green Bay
6. Oakland - X
7. San Francisco
8. Buffalo
9. Detroit - X
10. Arizona - XY
11. St. Louis
12. Cleveland
13. Baltimore - X
14. Philadelphia
15. Atlanta
16. Miami - XY

These are the FA QB's.

Anthony Wright UFA Ravens
Charlie Batch UFA Steelers
Chris Simms RFA Buccaneers
Chris Weinke UFA Panthers
Craig Nall UFA Packers
Damon Huard UFA Chiefs
Dave Ragone RFA Texans
Doug Flutie UFA Patriots
Drew Brees UFA Chargers
Jamie Martin UFA Rams
Jeff Blake UFA Bears
Jeff Garcia UFA Lions
Jesse Palmer UFA 49ers
Jon Kitna UFA Bengals
Josh McCown UFA Cardinals
Ken Dorsey RFA 49ers
Kliff Kingsbury RFA Jets
Kurt Warner UFA Cardinals
Sage Rosenfels UFA Dolphins
Seneca Wallace RFA Seahawks
Shane Matthews UFA Bills
Shaun Hill UFA Vikings
Tim Hasselbeck UFA Giants
Todd Collins UFA Chiefs
Ty Detmer UFA Falcons
Vinny Testaverde UFA Jets

Needing a QB and considering the one available as worthy of your draft position are two separate things. I think it's obvious that Leinart and Young are considered worthy of a top ten pick at this time so consider them gone. The only team that I can see who absolutely needs a young QB are the Raiders. But teams like the Saints, Bills, Lions, Cards, Jets, Lions and the Titans could all take a QB...I think it would be hard for any of these teams to pass on a Leinart or Young. The question is whether any of these teams think Cutler is worth that high of a pick when they already have serviceable QB's or young QB's in development. If Cutler shines at the combine there's a good chance that he'll be gone by the time we pick. So we should probably start considering other options for our 1st pick.

Apparently Tennessee is inquiring about how far they can trade down in order to get Cutler, who by a few scouting reports I've read on the internet is the #2 player in the draft behind Bush. I think Cutler could be the greatest QB since Manning and since he was able to accomplish what he did in the SEC with no weapons around him, I highly doubt he will be a bust, and I just do not see the Dolphins being able to get him. Maybe we should fire Saban for making our team too good too fast. We should have resigned Wannstedt so we could have gotten a top 2 pick and then fired him and hired Saban this offseason so we could get Cutler.

Now let's narrow down the FA's. WHo is good enough where they would improve our QB position. Detmer, Warner, Simms, Brees I know. I don't know much about the rest.

Back
Top Bottom