Pluses & Minuses | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pluses & Minuses

Da 'Fins

FinHeaven VIP
Club Member
Reaction score
PLUSES:

1. Marino brings an intensity and leadership from a football perspective at the top that really hasn't been there. Marino mentioned "coaching" as one of the keys to being successful (multiple times) and surely Dave knows the pressure is on.

2. Marino helps alleviate the difficulty of Speilman switching to Wannstedt's boss. Speilman will be above Dave, but now there is another person who will help solidify the authority, imo. If something needs to be done coaching/player wise - Dan & Rick will carry the day with Dave. It will be no problem firing Dave with Dan in there (whereas Rick might have difficulty if he had all authority).

3. Speilman has final say on players. It's clear that Dave is not going to be that guy - except adding input as a coach. This is a good thing.

4. Rick and Brian's presence will help Marino to ease into the job - without having to run a draft, do contracts, on his own immediately.

5. Having an ex-player like Dan in his position will be viewed as a positive from the players viewpoint.

MINUSES:

1. Are we missing out on some new ideas, fresh approaches, more objectivity that a new GM, from the outside, would bring to the table? This is my biggest concern. It is often true that a "culture" develops in any organization that becomes "myopic" in its approach. It is also true, therefore, that sometimes an outside source (with experience) can offer a more objective viewpoint than those within the organization.

2. Marino, despite Huizenga's words to the contrary, could be as much a public relations move as anything. Though Huizenga found it offensive, the fact is it was a legitimate question to ask if this was a figurehead position. Marino has great credibility with the fans and that may be the main perspective behind Wayne's hiring.

3. Will Marino/Speilman be the decision-makers with respect to Dave coaching next year? Is this a two-headed monster and will they be able to work together? This is still up in the air and it can be a negative.

I would have liked a different GM with better experience working under a more experienced GM (like Ted Thompson), but I think we can all reserve judgment on this one. It could work well. I think Dan and Rick will work well together and Dan will learn a lot. Rick also should become even better knowing that the pressure is on and that he's the guy making the call on personnel decisions.

Ummm not really for #2. So what if it does help the fan base. It also helps attract FAs here.

I see your point. In that it is a plus. I meant "minus" only in the sense that the reason for the hiring wasn't for a "strong" position as the leader of the team, but more "figurehead."

I say we just wait and see what happens. Dan may be good for the job, or he may not. No point in deciding if it's a good or bad thing just yet, let it pan out and see if it works or not.

Originally posted by SmokeyPhinz
I say we just wait and see what happens. Dan may be good for the job, or he may not. No point in deciding if it's a good or bad thing just yet, let it pan out and see if it works or not.

There is no fun in that! :lol:

BB

Originally posted by SmokeyPhinz

I agree. It seems like everytime we make a move we want to discuss it to no end when we all kmow that there's nothing we can do about it anyway. We can only HOPE that the team does what we each feel is the right move but we as fans can't change a thing and of course that sucks...lol

Ozzy rules!!

At this point I have held no hopes or expectations for Wanny, either coming back or not. If I had to lean a certain way, I'd bet he's in until next year at least (performance dependent).

Lack of marked improvement will = fresh resumes on the Wanny home PC.

Originally posted by Danny

I agree. It seems like everytime we make a move we want to discuss it to no end when we all kmow that there's nothing we can do about it anyway. We can only HOPE that the team does what we each feel is the right move but we as fans can't change a thing and of course that sucks...lol

Ozzy rules!!

All this is true, but the fact is, your post is true about Every Single Dolphin Issue Ever Discussed!

If we stopped discussing issues b/c there's nothing we can do about them, there would be NO discussion. We'd all be like the fish in MP's The Meaning of Life. The Board would be:

"Hello" "Good Morning" "Good morning to you" ... "what's new?" "Nothing, what's new with you?" "Nothing" on and on and on.
;)

Dan was hired to distract us to the fact that nothing has been done to get us to the next level. Happy New Year Phin Fans!!!!!!!!!

To me it is almost a catch22...I wanted change to this organization but liked Spielman..think he will make a very good GM

Originally posted by T-Bone
Dan was hired to distract us to the fact that nothing has been done to get us to the next level. Happy New Year Phin Fans!!!!!!!!!

Thats interesting. You figured out that all by yourself? If so, couldnt the rest of the Dolphin fanbase? Then my question would obviously be, why would they try to do something so obvious?
Doesnt seem likely....does it!

BB

I agree Speilman will be a good GM but you still have the same nucleus that brought us nothing the past 4 years. That's what is pi$$ing me ***.

All this **** of we must win this year, we must................. Yeah 10-6 what an accomplishment. Whoopee, If we do not improve this year and I mean win games that we should or have to then we must clean house. Last call must be clearly stated by Wayne.

Originally posted by bigbry

Thats interesting. You figured out that all by yourself? If so, couldnt the rest of the Dolphin fanbase? Then my question would obviously be, why would they try to do something so obvious?

What did they do? Hire Dan and premote Rick.
If you read all the press clippings all you would gather from the announcements is that Dan was hired not that Spielman is the new GM.

Originally posted by T-Bone

What did they do? Hire Dan and premote Rick.
If you read all the press clippings all you would gather from the announcements is that Dan was hired not that Spielman is the new GM.

Wayne REMOVED the control from Wanny. Gave Spielman MORE power AND created a position (SPENT MONEY) to give someone else a chance to oversee the job. No, it wasnt a clearing house of change. Now, IF it works, then Wayne will appear the guy that was smart enough to do it. But for anyone to say(before it starts) it was wrong is just rendering an opinion...nothing more.
Am I saying it WILL work? No I'm not. I'll atleast wait to see.

BB

Wayne REMOVED the control from Wanny. Gave Spielman MORE power AND created a position (SPENT MONEY) to give someone else a chance to oversee the job. No, it wasnt a clearing house of change. Now, IF it works, then Wayne will appear the guy that was smart enough to do it. But for anyone to say(before it starts) it was wrong is just rendering an opinion...nothing more.
Am I saying it WILL work? No I'm not. I'll atleast wait to see.

And what is it that you are rendering?

Questions for you -
1) Did you expect to see something more once the season ended?

2) Did you think last week that we would have a GM that was a proven winner w/ regards to drafting. Not to say that Speilman is not qualified.

3) If it does not work out this year who takes the fall?

Back
Top Bottom