• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Charlie Rivers

SUPERBOWL BOUND!!
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
clear.gif

I put unsure cause a first string D would probably chew him up and spit him out.

At this moment.. Yes. Only because he knows the system better than Griese. Now if Griese gets a grasp on the offense and starts to look a little stronger than no. But as it looks now with Griese being confused, slow and weak.. Sage should be #2.

I voted I'm unsure as yet.

I will be certain by the last game of the preseason. I am hopeful that Griese will improve and keep his position as second QB.

I'm in the minority here, but I say yes... only because Sage knows the offense better and he's always been impressive in preseason... but that really doesn't mean anything...

Griese was brought in the to be the #2 because of his experience, there is no way Sage can compete with that. It is a non-issue IMO. Our QBs are set at 1. Jay, 2. Griese, 3. Sage barring another injury.

What happened w/Lucas changed the way performance in PS is viewed at the QB position

THE REAL QB CONTROVERSY

I'm with AJ on this one...

I think this is the REAL QB controversy in Miami....

Originally posted by dolphan39
Griese was brought in the to be the #2 because of his experience...
I agree with that, yet he could still lose that position due to lack of skills... Just because someone has experience at something doesn't mean he is any good at it relative to others in the same field...

I know camp just started a week or two ago but since comming to Miami he has not exactly shown to be a "quick study" nor has he been as successfull as Sage on the field.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by 13isgr81

I agree with that, yet he could still lose that position due to lack of skills... Just because someone has experience at something doesn't mean he is any good at it relative to others in the same field...

I know camp just started a week or two ago but since comming to Miami he has not exactly shown to be a "quick study" nor has he been as successfull as Sage on the field.

I completely agree with you.

Besides for the record IMO, not next year but most likely the following year.. i believe Sage will be the starter. He is the QB of the future for us.

I say not yet!

While at this point I agree Sage is better then Griese, I'm not sure if either of them could handle the switch.

If Griese was demoted to #3, his confidence/attitude might not recover.

And If Sage was put to #2 then Griese started to come on in a couple of weeks, going back to #3 might make him disgruntled.

For now let's leave it as it and check back in a couple of weeks!

Originally posted by Dude
I say not yet!

While at this point I agree Sage is better then Griese, I'm not sure if either of them could handle the switch.

If Griese was demoted to #3, his confidence/attitude might not recover.

And If Sage was put to #2 then Griese started to come on in a couple of weeks, going back to #3 might make him disgruntled.

For now let's leave it as it and check back in a couple of weeks!

Wise words... So let me rephrase my postion, I would say if the season started today that Sage should be #2... But since it doesn't, it would be best to let preseason(or most of it) play out before making a decision. For exactly the reasons Dude so astutely pointed out above.

Why should Rosenfels be second. Two reasons, yes he does know the system better, but the real reason should be is that he has a stronger arm, is healthy, and can run.

BTW: Wanne hates QB contraversies, so do not expect a who is #2 ? one anymore than there w/b a who is #1 on if Griese kicked tush

On the one hand, we're not in the season yet. So Dude's got a point, there should be NO depth chart changes cuz of what kind of waves it would make not only in the locker room, but outside too. Everyone in Miami and elsewhere not only thinks that Griese was brought in to be the savior of the backup QB situation, but that now Miami has one of the best "team QB" situations in the league, one of the best 1-2 punches at QB maybe only second to Warner-Bulger.

On the other hand, if the season were starting TOMORROW, and Fiedler was injured with a hip or back problem whatever his injuries usually are...who do you feel the most comfortable with that gives us the best chance of winning...honestly? To me its Sage. And yet I guess even then we still couldn't put him in because he doesn't have reps with the first unit. Its definitely a real conundrum. No backup QB situation is perfect cuz if they were they'd be starting. But at least we can say the problem is whether our 3rd stinger is better then our 2nd stringer...and not whether our 2nd stringer is better than our 1st stringer.

Its nice to be debating this heading into the season rather than debating who should start.

BTW Ray Lucas was an anomoly in a lot of ways IMO cuz of his overexcitability. Basically the guy can be a very good QB. His first season here he played better with the lights on than he did in practice. 2002 he played well in practice then played downright aweful when the lights came on. His balance was volatile as a QB and you need a guy who can be on an even keel...unless your name is Brett Favre and you've got some of the best throwing skills since Marino.

I voted Sage hands down. I really think he has more upside. He throws deep the best of the three and has a good head on his shoulders. He really seems to be well accepted by the players and could come in and take over the offense better than BG.
This could really be a problem for BG because he came here so he could prove to the league he could be a starter if he wasn't in the Shanahan system. Now if he gets droped to the 3rd string, his chance of landing a starting job next year, here or elsewhere, is slim to none.
I'm sure this is not what he had in mind. Sage has done well in every situ he has been put in and should make next years off season a easy decision for who ever the head guy is here.

Back
Top Bottom