Poor Man's Vince Young | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Poor Man's Vince Young

Another good athlete that's not an NFL QB. He played horrible in the all-star game a couple weeks ago.

He went for the homerun on every single play was his problem at the Hula Bowl.

He's got top notch physicals...6'5" 230 pound frame with 4.46 speed, and a CANNON for an arm. He's got that homerun syndrome sometimes that some QBs get at small schools, especially the guys that find they can convert first downs with their feet.

Usually when a guy gets moved from QB to WR, he doesn't have the top notch arm strength and mechanics that Nealy has. Scouts are openly worried that he just doesn't have enough accuracy, however.

ckparrothead said:
He went for the homerun on every single play was his problem at the Hula Bowl.

He's got top notch physicals...6'5" 230 pound frame with 4.46 speed, and a CANNON for an arm. He's got that homerun syndrome sometimes that some QBs get at small schools, especially the guys that find they can convert first downs with their feet.

Usually when a guy gets moved from QB to WR, he doesn't have the top notch arm strength and mechanics that Nealy has. Scouts are openly worried that he just doesn't have enough accuracy, however.
Right -- that's what concerned me in taking a look at his stats from this past year. Plenty of games with less than 50% accuracy, and against Division I-AA teams, no less.

But this guy will be drafted on his physicals alone, and I wonder if he can't be coached up by NFL coaches with regard to his accuracy and decision-making.

Nappy Roots said:
IMO he doesnt have the accuracy nor head to be a pro QB.

I think that should be qualified. Nealy does not have the head problems that a "run first" quarterback has. He has a quarterback's mentality, meaning he has supreme confidence in his ARM not his legs, and he thinks his arm is going to make a huge play on every play.

How many guys in the NFL basically needed to learn that they don't have to hit the homerun on every play? How many of them needed to learn to play within an offense?

To me that is not lacking a "head to be a pro QB" because I can think right off the bat of a number of pro QBs that had to learn those tough lessons.

Will he learn those lessons? I don't know. You can teach a guy and put him in the habit of operating an offense instead of being a low-percentage, scattershot, all-over-the-field guy (ask the likes of Plummer, Elway, Favre). It's a lot harder to teach a guy to be an accurate thrower if he isn't already, and that is why Nealy is still a 6th-7th round guy despite his John Elway skills.

i meant more along the lines of not to smart with reading defenses, looking off defenders, being smart with the ball, knowing when to take chances etc.

ckparrothead said:
I think that should be qualified. Nealy does not have the head problems that a "run first" quarterback has. He has a quarterback's mentality, meaning he has supreme confidence in his ARM not his legs, and he thinks his arm is going to make a huge play on every play.

How many guys in the NFL basically needed to learn that they don't have to hit the homerun on every play? How many of them needed to learn to play within an offense?

To me that is not lacking a "head to be a pro QB" because I can think right off the bat of a number of pro QBs that had to learn those tough lessons.

Will he learn those lessons? I don't know. You can teach a guy and put him in the habit of operating an offense instead of being a low-percentage, scattershot, all-over-the-field guy (ask the likes of Plummer, Elway, Favre). It's a lot harder to teach a guy to be an accurate thrower if he isn't already, and that is why Nealy is still a 6th-7th round guy despite his John Elway skills.
But how much of his accuracy problem do you think is attributable to his tendency to go for the long, low-percentage pass on so many plays like you said above? Maybe if he can be coached to be more conservative in his decision-making, his accuracy will improve too?

And do you really see this guy being a 6th or 7th rounder? I think if he shows well at the combine he could be an early day two pick a la Will Poole. Imagine having this guy play a role similar to Antwaan Randle El's at 6'5" 230. Matt Jones and Randle El wrapped up into one.

shouright said:
But how much of his accuracy problem do you think is attributable to his tendency to go for the long, low-percentage pass on so many plays like you said above? Maybe if he can be coached to be more conservative in his decision-making, his accuracy will improve too?

And do you really see this guy being a 6th or 7th rounder? I think if he shows well at the combine he could be an early day two pick a la Will Poole. Imagine having this guy play a role similar to Antwaan Randle El's at 6'5" 230. Matt Jones and Randle El wrapped up into one.

That is an interesting question, but the accuracy problems were not just stemming from the game itself. The accuracy problems were brought up by NFL scouts at the Hula Bowl practices. They kept requesting him to get some time in at receiver, but the Hula Bowl teams only have two QBs and the other QB on the West was Brad Smith, who isn't a very good passer.

I can say that if he sneaks into Day 1 or the early parts of Day 2, it will be as a receiver, not a QB. As a QB, he is a 6th-7th rounder...worth the try to see if he can take some coaching and become more accurate and a better decision maker, but not near polished enough to take with a 4th or 5th. You are right in that if he shows up well in Indy he could sneak into the 4th, but you have the wrong position. If he sneaks into the 3rd or 4th it will be because he ran the 40 in under 4.5 seconds and logged time at receiver and displayed great hands and instincts.

Back
Top Bottom