Poor use of play action passes (again) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Poor use of play action passes (again)

LikeUntoGod

The Oracle
Reaction score
This is the one thing that I can see being able to be fixed. It gives me a small thing to grasp on to even though I'm pretty sure that it will not improve.

There is one alive and well horse I will beat one more time. And that is the one about pass action passes. Or I should say play action passes and Rob Ninkovich. Henne's total lack of a decent play fake helped Ninkovich's interceptions and his sack.

But it is not just Henne's fault because the running back NEVER ACTED LIKE HE HAD THE BALL.

I go back again to Brad Smith in the Spread Option. His READ and fake of the dive play sucked Wake into trying to make a tackle on the running back which sprang B.Smith for a long gain. But the running back on that play ALSO CARRIED OUT A BALL FAKE.

Another important part of this (for use in the Wildcat) is the READ part of the play. As a very old Wishbone QB the first option is the fullback dive. That play is a read, the QB puts the ball into the running backs stomach on every play and then decides to leave it in or pull it out and carry on the rest of the play. Whatever his choice he still carries out the rest of the play.

I still put this 110% of our coaches. They are not making Henne make good ball fakes and are not telling the running back to semi act like he has the football.

The important thing here is that a play action pass is counter productive without a good fake because the QB has to take his eyes off of downfield and 90% of the time he zeros in on only one WR . Add that to the fact that Henne stares at the player that he is going to throw to and you have disasters in the making. Or in this case, interceptions.

Someone seriously needs to teach these guys how to do a good play fake. Both the QB and the RB need to sell it, and they barely bother. I don't get it - seems like a fundamental part of the play-action, no?

It's hard to fake a handoff with playaction when your running backs are 6 ft away from Henne while he's dropping back. I don't even know why they bother with it if they're not going to do it right. I'd rather they focus on looking off the safety.

If this was Madden, Henne would get a 15 rating on his Playaction fake. I hope Henne watches Tom Brady tape to learn how to do it properly.

Back
Top Bottom