Position by Position going into '09 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Position by Position going into '09

FinFanatic80

"In the tuna we trust."
Reaction score
Quarterback:

No addition will or needs to be made here this offseason. This regime has the big, strong, and young guy they're grooming for the future in Henne, they have the smart accurate veteran who was 2nd in MVP voting last season in Pennington, and they have a young, cheap, and capable 3rd string guy in Beck thats only going to get better while watching and learning.

Pennington starts for us next season and he has earned it from last season. But with Penny going into his last year under contract with us I see Henne evenually taking over about halfway through the season (if Pennington gets hurt or we get into a slump) to see what we have and to get Henne some much needed game experience.

Running Back:

No addition will or needs to be made here this offseason. With Ronnie having a pro bowl season and making it through the year completely healthy he easially stays atop the depth chart at the start of next season. Ricky also had a productive season and has begun to show that he can stay out of trouble with the league. He'll be the #2 on the depth chart at the start of next season with his newly signed contract extension. And finally wrapping up our 3 headed back field Patrick Cobbs is a nice change of pace and with his newly signed contract it shows this regime has confidence and likes what the see from him.

Wide Receiver:

Ted Ginn Jr. continues to develop and become more and more reliable as an ok #2 receiver. Needs to add some more muscle and more aggresiveness this offseason to continue developement. Bess and Greg C. have shown to both be sure handed guys who can counted on when you need a conversion catch on 3rd down, solid #3 and #4 receivers. Brandon London has shown some promise on special teams and a last resort at receiver, and in my opinion has a slim chance to make the roster next season.

That leaves one big need in a big sure handed #1 receiver going into next season. Now, i realize they're not easy to find and this free agency really doesnt have much to offer. So assuming no trade is had (which i see as highly unlikely) one will need to be drafted. No chance do i see this regime using our #1 pick on a wide out for a number or reasons, but i do believe that if a big receiver is sitting there available with one of our two #2's that this regime seems to like they'll pull the trigger. They showed the need for a big receiver last season with the signing of Wilford, and we all know how that turned out but he's gone without a doubt this offseason.

Offensive Line:

First, the anchor on the left side is in place and isnt going anywhere. Justin Smiley played really well during his season before the injury and will be a starter once again next season. Some solid depth could be brought in behind him incase he suffers another nagging injury he seems to get each year. At center, i'm becoming more of a believer that Satale will not be our starting center next season simply because he is too small for Sparano's preference and the huge NT's in our division. I think a big starting calibur center can be had with either of our 3rd or 4th round selections in this aprils draft. Center's typically dont ever go in rounds 1 or 2 and some of the best in the country can be had later in the draft. The right guard battle could become very interesting in my eyes next season. Donald Thomas showed promise at the beginning of last season, Samson Satale could be available to slide over to guard (like he did some late last season) or another big body could be had in free agency. The right tackle position has a load of different possiblities this offseason with Vernon Carey being an unrestricted free agent. Either way, i dont see us starting a rookie at RT next season. I personally think with Carey going to high school in the Miami area, going to the U, and playing for us he'll evenually give us a little hometown discount to stay on the right side of our line for at least about 4 more years. If he goes else where, the sexy name is Jordan Gross from Carolina. He's unrestricted as well but could be tagged again, but with Peppers as a free agent also you never which way the Panthers will go. Gross would definitely be an uprgrade over Carey but i think he'll demand far more $ then we'd like to spend on a RT.

Defensive Line:

Overall i thought our defensive played rather well in '08. And with 2 young and promising defensve ends (Langford and Merling) and the vet in the middle in Ferguson. However ageing NT's arent always that dependable on a week to week basis and its no secret you win football games in the trenches. And to get the most out of a 3-4 you need a giant monster in the middle which i why i see this regime taking a NT with our #1 pick (because i dont see us paying the amount of money needed to get Hanyseworth out of Tennessee). So basically i see a young monster NT and some young youth in later rounds to serve as backups.

Linebackers:

Porter equals starter on the weak side, nuff said. Akin played well all year and could still see some major PT next season if Channing isnt resigned. If Chrowder isnt resigned we'll use our other #2 on a stud ILB. If Chrowder is resigned we'll use our other #2 on a stud OLB pass rusher to start over Roth. Roth played better than expected this season, but still isnt quite an 'elite' OLB.

Secondary:

Alot of these decision will be based on who the regime decides needs to be resigned. I definitely think Bell absolutely needs a new contract, and i think a solid free agent at corner will be had as well. McFadden from Pittsburgh could be a solid contributor, but a long shot from a long term elite solution. A solid safety along side Bell would be amazing too, but it may be still a little luxury at this point we cant afford.

Recap:

#1 - DT
#2 - LB
#2 - WR
#3 - C

A run at signing either Gross, Suggs, Scott, Hanyesworth, or Mcfadden would be nice but all are a little bit of a reach. And it which position we go after in free agency kinda depends on who we resign from our current roster.

Thoughts???

Back
Top Bottom