Possible Compensatory picks... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Possible Compensatory picks...

BennyVW

I'm the Man in the Box
Reaction score
I was reading Alex marvez's new article
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-combine23feb23,0,4967324.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

And i sent him an E-mail about the compensatory picks he talked about...

"The Dolphins have three seventh-round choices and the potential for more picks after the NFL awards compensatory selections in March or April."
A. Marvez

As an avid NFL reporter you should be aware that we will receive no compensatory picks. Even thought the formula is a "secret" its variables are simple. Variables are how many UFA did you lose, and how many did you sign. If you lost more than you signed then you receive your untradable compensatory picks. As Saban left less than 26 players from last years roster, that should put us in the red. After consulting with several sources from Finheaven.com, all have concurred with me. Just trying to help... Please correct me if I'm wrong.

He just got back to me and said that he verified with the Dolphins PR guy that there is still a chance that we will recieve compensatory picks.

I thought there wasnt even a chance casue we signed so many players, but i guess there is a chance after all. Just wanted to share....

Alex just sent me another reply:

no problem. finheaven is an awesome site. thanks - alex.

I don't think we will. A lot of the turnover was us cutting guys...which doesn't count, whereas a lot of the guys we replaced them with were free agents. I'm not sure the waiver wire counts toward the free agents lost/gained used in the formula for compensatory picks. I know it is very numbers-based, not quality-based...but I also know that Nick Saban is very aware that if you run at a loss in terms of free agents lost vs. gained, you get compensatory picks...so he may have purposely kept it close.

Knowing the past history, however, I would think the NFL would continue to screw us on the compensatory selections like they've done pretty much every year even though it seems like we lost more in free agency than we gained. It would be interesting if we could pull any comp picks...I'd take a 6th to replace the one we gave for Cleo Lemon. Maybe that's why they were quick to give up that 6th? Because they figured we'll get one back? Who knows...

You also have to consider the nfl is always changing the rules as they go. As far as comp picks remember they factor in the contract & performance (stats, awards etc.) of the FAs lost. I never thought we were in the running to receive any but hey...

With the New CBA it could throw another wrench in it all....

ckparrothead said:
I don't think we will. A lot of the turnover was us cutting guys...which doesn't count, whereas a lot of the guys we replaced them with were free agents. I'm not sure the waiver wire counts toward the free agents lost/gained used in the formula for compensatory picks. I know it is very numbers-based, not quality-based...but I also know that Nick Saban is very aware that if you run at a loss in terms of free agents lost vs. gained, you get compensatory picks...so he may have purposely kept it close.

Knowing the past history, however, I would think the NFL would continue to screw us on the compensatory selections like they've done pretty much every year even though it seems like we lost more in free agency than we gained. It would be interesting if we could pull any comp picks...I'd take a 6th to replace the one we gave for Cleo Lemon. Maybe that's why they were quick to give up that 6th? Because they figured we'll get one back? Who knows...

I'm not sure that the NFL is screwing us, they're just compensating other teams for not being as attractive to free agents as Miami. I don't mind draft pick compensation because it helps level the playing field. It keeps the NFL competitive and makes it the best sports league in the world.

I say they screwed us because we saw Todd Wade go off to the Texans and get an 8 figure signing bonus...we replaced him with Damion Injuredtosh, and got no compensatory selection for it.

Last year I know Morlon Greenwood left via free agency and got a really good contract with the Texans. I think Bryan Robinson left as a free agent as well (started all of 2004 at DT for us, started all of 2005 at DT for the Bengals). I'm not 100% clear in my memory but I believe Sammy Knight left as a free agent and collected a decent contract with the Chiefs. Arturo Freeman left the Phins as a FA, but he didn't do anything elsewhere...he was a backup for New England...think he got hurt.

I'm pretty sure Jay Fiedler was cut. Was Rob Konrad a FA or did he get cut? He signed with someone but then retired. Did Antuan Edwards get cut or was he a FA? He didn't do anything of note in 2005 anyway.

I'm not particularly clear on whether retirements count in the equation...if so Tim Bowens may figure into the equation, but I believe we outright cut Larry Chester.

Nonetheless Morlon Greenwood, Bryan Robinson, Sammy Knight...replaced by Donnie Spragan, Vonnie Holliday, Kevin Carter, Tebucky Jones, and Lance Schulters. If we get ANYTHING, then I just have to toss my hands up in the air and say I have no freaking clue what the NFL is doing with their calculations.

I'm pretty sure you have to have drafted the guy for him to go into the formula. Then his contract has to expire, which means being Cut doesn't count.

ckparrothead said:
Nonetheless Morlon Greenwood, Bryan Robinson, Sammy Knight...replaced by Donnie Spragan, Vonnie Holliday, Kevin Carter, Tebucky Jones, and Lance Schulters. If we get ANYTHING, then I just have to toss my hands up in the air and say I have no freaking clue what the NFL is doing with their calculations.

Yup and going by the teams past years there is no way in hell this team gets comp picks.

If we were New England then that'd be a whole other story :tongue:

ckparrothead said:

Perhaps I'm mixing this up, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that players that you do sign also have to be free agents whose contracts expired and not players who were cut for salary cap reasons, which I think would then take a few of those guys off the list.

Yeah, it doesn't seem as if we will get picks. And if we do, I doubt it will be anything of great value because we definitely replaced guys.
Morlon Greenwood > Donnie Spragan
Sammy Knight > Lance Schulters (contract wise)

But then we picked up Carter with a 30M deal (I think) and Holliday, plus T-Jones.

This might be helpful, as I googled a few sites:

A team is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks if it is determined that they lost more or better players than they were able to acquire during the previous year's free agency period. The number of picks a team receives equals the net loss of compensatory free agents (maximum of four).

Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula that was developed by the NFL Management Council. Not every free agent lost or signed by a team is covered by this formula.

Apparently this formula is based on salary, playing time and postseason honors.

ckparrothead said:
I say they screwed us because we saw Todd Wade go off to the Texans and get an 8 figure signing bonus...we replaced him with Damion Injuredtosh, and got no compensatory selection for it.

Last year I know Morlon Greenwood left via free agency and got a really good contract with the Texans. I think Bryan Robinson left as a free agent as well (started all of 2004 at DT for us, started all of 2005 at DT for the Bengals). I'm not 100% clear in my memory but I believe Sammy Knight left as a free agent and collected a decent contract with the Chiefs. Arturo Freeman left the Phins as a FA, but he didn't do anything elsewhere...he was a backup for New England...think he got hurt.

I'm pretty sure Jay Fiedler was cut. Was Rob Konrad a FA or did he get cut? He signed with someone but then retired. Did Antuan Edwards get cut or was he a FA? He didn't do anything of note in 2005 anyway.

I'm not particularly clear on whether retirements count in the equation...if so Tim Bowens may figure into the equation, but I believe we outright cut Larry Chester.

The system is simple for us dolfans to figure out. We get screwed while teams like Denver get picks..........and then waste them.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom