Possible OL pick up?

burghPhinFan

there are some that call me...Tim
Reaction score
Steelers to say good-bye to Tylski

April 22, 2002

Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

PITTSBURGH - The Steelers drafted guard Kendall Simmons with their number pick in the draft this weekend.

Today they will say good-bye to a player that Simmons may eventually replace in the starting lineup.

Right guard Rich Tylski, who started for the Steelers the past two seasons, will be released by the team at 4 p.m. today.

"Before we get into the finalization of the draft picks, we do want to announce that we are going to release Rich Tylski as of four o'clock tomorrow," said director of football operations Kevin Colbert in a post-draft press conference.
I spoke to Rich's agent, coach just spoke to Rich. We just wanted to let him know that we want to give him a chance to get out on the market, which is something that he requested, if there was going to be a move.

"Obviously, after drafting Kendall it was going to be a crowded house, and we probably could use the cap room and, we wanted to give Rich a chance to get out, as well."

There is no guarantee that it will be Simmons who will fill his shoes, as the Steelers also have Oliver Ross at guard. The team made a strong investment in Ross this offseason, signing him after Cleveland made the restricted free agent an offer. The team wants to evaluate the situation before deciding whether or not Simmons will play on the right side.

"We've got to sit down and look at that," said head coach Bill Cowher. "I don't know if anything has been done concretely right now.

"We had Oliver Ross in there with Keydrick Vincent, probably on the right side we may move Kendall over. He's going to have to swing anyway because that's a backup position. We may move him in there and see how it goes.

"We'll sit down with the offensive staff. We really have not penciled in the right or left side, and he's going to be a guard, and right now, there are only three guys that will be rotating in there. So Alan (Faneca) is set at left guard."

Tylski originally joined the Steelers in 2000 as an unrestricted free agent from the Jacksonville Jaguars. He started every game in the 2000 season and missed six games in 2001 with ankle and rib injuries.

The Steelers are not looking to push Simmons into a starting role before he is ready, but they are excited about his potential.

"We are very excited to get a player of Kendall Simmons' quality at the 30th pick," said Colbert. "When we looked at all of the different projections as far down as we were, we thought that Kendall may be available down there, and if he was, we were going to be very happy because it gives us a good, solid player.

"Again, we went into this thing without a glaring need, but with Kendall we have a player that gives us some versatility. He did play left tackle at Auburn. We will move him into a guard, I'm not sure which one he'll end up working at, if not both. But we just felt he's a good player who gives us flexibility and versatility, and we are excited to have him."

Figure he started the last 2 years, wouldn't hurt to have him here. The more depth the better! What do ya think?:confused:

I am happy with our OGs now, no sense in bringing in another vet that will take up even more cap space. It is VERY crowded in there now, and I'd really only sign somebody who would be an OBVIOUS upgrade.....not too many of those guys gonna show up on the waiver wire....

Plays RG, as does Searcy and Todd Perry. Enough depth there plus Seth McKinnie. If anything, we could use an upgrade at LG right now.

I`m happy with the OL personnel we have now, provided the crips are fully healed. :) Whether they stay that way is up to the football gods. :(

Originally posted by Capt. Dick
I`m happy with the OL personnel we have now, provided the crips are fully healed. :) Whether they stay that way is up to the football gods. :(

If Searcy can return to pre-injury form, this OL can be VERY good imo.

Originally posted by Bodzilla29
I am happy with our OGs now, no sense in bringing in another vet that will take up even more cap space. It is VERY crowded in there now, and I'd really only sign somebody who would be an OBVIOUS upgrade.....not too many of those guys gonna show up on the waiver wire....
Wanne said after they drafted McKinney there were all set at OL unless someone who would obviously upgrade the OL dropped into our laps.

I had the same thought about Tylski, but if he was good why use 1st rounder on him ?

Originally posted by EddieIrvine13
Plays RG, as does Searcy and Todd Perry. Enough depth there plus Seth McKinnie. If anything, we could use an upgrade at LG right now.

EXACTLY! If he can play left guard, we should go get him. Right guard is pretty much set.

Originally posted by FinaticalOne

EXACTLY! If he can play left guard, we should go get him. Right guard is pretty much set.
or he is a proven LT since Smith and Spriggs have never started an entire season.

If we sign a lineman, it's going to be a project lineman that we can stash away on the practice squad for a year.

Qasim Mitchell hasn't been signed to my knowledge. Maybe he has agreed to a deal with the Dolphins. He's a guy who could use a year on the practice squad to drop his weight as well as add some strength.

Back
Top Bottom