Post-draft Concerns: One Burning Question For Each Afc Team | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Post-draft Concerns: One Burning Question For Each Afc Team

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Miami Dolphins: If this team doesn't turn it around in 2018, is it Adam Gase's fault?

Gone are Ndamukong Suh, Jarvis Landry, Julius Thomas and Mike Pouncey, all victims of a roster purge in the name of CULTURE FIT. In Landry's stead, Miami sought out similar skill sets, lighter on the skill, in Danny Amendola and Albert Wilson. Suh switched locales with edge rusher Robert Quinn; Thomas has been replaced by blue-chip rookie Mike Gesicki; and Miami traded for Daniel Kilgore to fill in for Pouncey. The Dolphins' reshaping is completely of Gase's design, but will it produce a winner? If not, perhaps the problem isn't the players on the roster, but the man who's coaching them.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ncerns-one-burning-question-for-each-afc-team

I'd agree. Gase and Tannehill need to produce results with this roster and I expect they will (playoffs being the minimum). If Thill doesn't, he's likely done in Miami. I don't think Gase would necessarily be done, but definitely on the hot seat.

The Dolphins' reshaping is completely of Gase's design, but will it produce a winner? If not, perhaps the problem isn't the players on the roster, but the man who's coaching them.

Precisely what I've been thinking for months. If this experiment fails........he has to go.

OK, so this begets the question: What getting rid of these players the right thing to do or the wrong thing to do?
Each case is a bit different, but:
To keep Landry, it would have required WAY overpaying a guy for his skill set, and that was probably the wrong thing to do.
To keep Pouncey was a risk- he couldn't practice and could have become unavailable at any moment. Unreliable player health-wise. Moving on? Probably the right thing to do.
Suh? This is the most arguable one. Maybe we could have kept him for one more year, but if the plan is to move on in a year, why waste time and not move on now? Plus we all know the free-lancing argument. Most debatable right/wrong thing.
Thomas? He did nothing. He was a shot in the dark/fingers crossed signing. Replaced with much more potential. Thomas was declining. No brainer right thing to do.
In three of the four cases, I think we did the "right" thing by moving on from these players. So many of these national writers look at teams' moves through tunnel vision- they don't see salary cap ramifications, or how the move fits with future moves or draft philosophy, or whether or not a guy can friggin' practice at all. Teams make these decisions all the time; it's just that we did it all at once and got little in return for the losses. But it is a new era and I'm not even sure we need to make the playoffs. Show improvement, let these guys gel- and if things trend upward all season long I really think it makes 2019 an all in year. This year is a big transition year. Shoot for and hope for a wild card, but if we end up 9-7 and show improvement and miss the playoffs, I don't think there is shame in that.
If we tank....well then we have other issues and those other four players wouldn't have saved the day any way, just like they didn't save the day in 2017.

If we tank it is Tannehill's last stand be the uncontested starter. A high draft pick would then pick his successor and true competition to the QB spot. Hopefully, that doesn't happen and we are talking extension with Tannehill.

Yes, but there were extenuating circumstance in regards to this team and their record last season and you know it. I'm not going to go into everything as this topic has been beaten to death, but what I will say is that some fans love to change HCs way to quickly for my taste. Gase needs time just like every HC in the league (preferably 5 years) to build his team and implement his system, this constant call for firing your HC because it's rough right now is silly. The Dolphins have been bad for a long time, finally we have a coach that has rebuilt the team by ridding themselves of high price underproductive players, and drafting well over the last couple of years to shore up holes on the offense and defense side of the ball. The grass isn't always greener on the other side, haven't we realized that yet?

This post was in response to 39 Wildman.

The Dolphins' reshaping is completely of Gase's design, but will it produce a winner? If not, perhaps the problem isn't the players on the roster, but the man who's coaching them.

The players listed were not part of the plan for one reason or another...they were not long term/big picture players IMO and apparently (and more importantly) in Gase's opinion....

It was time to "fish or cut bait"..."S**t or get off the pot"....Gase did exactly what needed to be done in order to move forward with our team .. otherwise we are stuck in the same mud that has slowed us and stopped us since his arrival...I doubt he is foolish enough to think he can produce wins with the same gang that has not produced winning seasons since their arrival (for the most part)... AND overcome the salary cap issues that were facing the team as a whole...

Of course, the reshaping is of Gase's design (duh) as it should be...I believe that even with a healthy Tannehill last season and a better win/loss Gase would STILL have made the moves that were made...the players that are gone were not part of his vision for the team in terms of salary vs. production or culture fit.... IMO.....to continue this cliché fest "you can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs"...I am happy to see Coach Gase "buying his own groceries"

The table is set...It's time to let the coach put it all together and "feed" the fans of this team

I am glad the moves were made and as a fan of the team am excited to see different results than we have been accustomed to ….

They keep talking about this as if we lost 4 HOF players in their prime
Landry wanted more than he was worth
Pouncey was not very good anymore
JT was horrible
Suh can still play but they needed to move on from that contract

Miami Dolphins: If this team doesn't turn it around in 2018, is it Adam Gase's fault?

Gone are Ndamukong Suh, Jarvis Landry, Julius Thomas and Mike Pouncey, all victims of a roster purge in the name of CULTURE FIT. In Landry's stead, Miami sought out similar skill sets, lighter on the skill, in Danny Amendola and Albert Wilson. Suh switched locales with edge rusher Robert Quinn; Thomas has been replaced by blue-chip rookie Mike Gesicki; and Miami traded for Daniel Kilgore to fill in for Pouncey. The Dolphins' reshaping is completely of Gase's design, but will it produce a winner? If not, perhaps the problem isn't the players on the roster, but the man who's coaching them.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ncerns-one-burning-question-for-each-afc-team

This comment is so short-sighted in and of itself regardless of the performance of the new guys because did Suh, Landry, Pouncey, etc. produce a winner? I don't think 4-5 guys will produce a winner in a team sport like Football. I think we need other guys to be good as well.

My 1 burning question regarding regarding the Phins is how well will the DT"s play? This will only be magnified with the loss of Suh and he will be brought up every time a RB gashes a big hole up the middle.

I'm of the opinion that LB's are only as good as defensive linemen allow them to be. Show me an all pro MLB and I will show you a pair of quality DT's.

If the Dolphins do turn it around should Adam Gase get the credit? Why don't they ask the question that way instead of negatively?

Back
Top Bottom