Post (draft) mortem: Dolphins collecting UDFA's; Gambling; What might have been | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Post (draft) mortem: Dolphins collecting UDFA's; Gambling; What might have been

Perfect72

It's Only Happened ONCE!
Reaction score
Let's start out withthe undrafted free agent college players who have already agreed to terms withthe Dolphins after the draft:

Remember...TheDolphins will be signing far fewer of these this year because they simply don'thave enough roster space to sign 25 undrafted guys as in years past.Indeed the most undrafted players the team could bring on is 10 and that wouldbring the roster to the NFL mandated 90-man limit.

Obviously, theDolphins could add more UDFAs but would have to start cutting players currentlyon the roster -- something I would recommend because I don't get the logic ofhaving proven vets (who have only proven they're not good enough) instead ofadding a young guy who is probably already as good and might actually surprisesomebody. Having running backs Isaiah Pead and Daniel Thomas on the roster, forexample, makes no sense to me because we know what they are. And there arebetter UDFA running backs out there (or were) after the draft.

The list:

Iowa kicker MarshallKoehn, who I reported first last night, has agreed and will compete withsecond-year kicker Andrew Franks for that job.

University of MiamiWR Rashawn Scott who had five TDs for the Hurricanes last year. The Hurricanesconfirmed this on their twitter account.

Florida Tech (huh?)TE Gabe Hughes.

Temple WR BrandenShippen, who is neither exceedingly big (5-11) nor fast (4.6 on good day) butwas very good in the red zone.

Toledo center Ruben"Not Hurricane" Carter. Long snap? Yes.

San Jose State longsnapper Ryan DiSalvo. Again, another person who is going to try to displacelongtime and highly-paid (for a long snapper) John Denney, who is in his 12thNFL season and at 37 years old is only months younger than his head coach.

Defense anyone?

Boise State LB TylerGray, a special teams possibility who had a blocked punt for the Broncos lastseason.

FAMU LB Akil Blount,another playmaker possibility for special teams initially. Blount hadtwo pick sixes last season and comes with good genes. He's the son ofPro Football Hall of Fame CB Mel Blount.

Kentucky DEFarrington Huguenin, who mostly showed run stop ability. Kentucky'sdefensive line coach confirmed this imminent signing.

Louisville MLB JamesBurgess, a former Homestead High standout. This was first reported by theLouisville Courier Journal and I confirmed it. Very productive guy, oftenaround the football, good in coverage. But at 6-foot he's not quite the sizethat Vance Joseph covets in the middle of his defense. But you know what? We'retalking special teams guys here so ...

Oh, look, that's 10undrafted free agents. This list would bring Miami's roster to 90. Amazing howthe math works.

More at LINK: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2016/05/post-.html

Back
Top Bottom