Post-game Write Up (locked On Dolphins) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Post-game Write Up (locked On Dolphins)

Miami's 3rd conversion % certainly reflects Miami penchant for dumping the ball short of the sticks:

In 2015 finished 30th with 30.73% (SF = 30.37% ; Rams = 25.87%)
In 2016 finished 21st with 37.31%
In 2017 finished 32nd with 31.68%

Miami's 3rd conversion % certainly reflects Miami penchant for dumping the ball short of the sticks:

In 2015 finished 30th with 30.73% (SF = 30.37% ; Rams = 25.87%)
In 2016 finished 21st with 37.31%
In 2017 finished 32nd with 31.68%
Statistics without context are not very useful.

You quote three years of performance but Gase only began in 2016 and Tannehill wasn't the QB in 2017. So what is the point of quoting three years with two large inconsistencies?

Statistics without context are not very useful.

You quote three years of performance but Gase only began in 2016 and Tannehill wasn't the QB in 2017. So what is the point of quoting three years with two large inconsistencies?
I see a problem with both Tannehill and Gase. Although it is fair to argue the biggest problem is at QB and Gase understands he doesn't have a QB that has the pocket presence, ability to maneuver and make plays under chaos to allow deeper plays to develop. Also, Tannehill has the option to take shots down the field and he's just not aggressive. That was always clear when Moore would come in relief and start firing the ball past the 1st down markers.

As a case against Tannehill in 2016, Miami played an extremely soft schedule under Tannehill and the final 3 games in which Matt Moore played Miami converted 47.37% of 3rd downs to elevate them to 21st. Removing the final 3 games Moore played would have left Miami converting 34.89% which would have ranked them 29th in the league.

Furthermore, since you wanted context in 2 of those games Ajayi rushed for over 200+ yards and Miami converted 12 of 26 3rd downs. Removing those 3rd down conversions would leave Miami at converting 32.52% of 3rd downs in the 11 games in 2016 Tannehill played and didn't have a 200 yard rusher. That would have placed Miami at 31st just ahead of the pathetic Rams offense 31.46%.

Additionally, Chicago in 2015 when Gase was OC finished 7th with a 42.47% on 3rd downs. Cutler wasn't quite the train wreck as he was last year. My amateur psychologist opinion is Cutler was content being an announcer and 10 million reasons kept him from it. Denver in 2013 led the NFL at 48.05% 3rd down conversion, but they had some guy named Peyton.

Whereas I think Gase can be pointed at is commitment to Tannehill without bringing in real competition (unless otherwise and the press hasn't gotten a hold of it). What we saw in 2016 with all things being relatively equal when Moore filled in after Tannehill's injury he was much more effective and being real Moore is not starting QB quality. That Miami didn't take a shot on a guy like Bridgewater falls on him.

I see a problem with both Tannehill and Gase. Although it is fair to argue the biggest problem is at QB and Gase understands he doesn't have a QB that has the pocket presence, ability to maneuver and make plays under chaos to allow deeper plays to develop. Also, Tannehill has the option to take shots down the field and he's just not aggressive. That was always clear when Moore would come in relief and start firing the ball past the 1st down markers.

As a case against Tannehill in 2016, Miami played an extremely soft schedule under Tannehill and the final 3 games in which Matt Moore played Miami converted 47.37% of 3rd downs to elevate them to 21st. Removing the final 3 games Moore played would have left Miami converting 34.89% which would have ranked them 29th in the league.

Furthermore, since you wanted context in 2 of those games Ajayi rushed for over 200+ yards and Miami converted 12 of 26 3rd downs. Removing those 3rd down conversions would leave Miami at converting 32.52% of 3rd downs in the 11 games in 2016 Tannehill played and didn't have a 200 yard rusher. That would have placed Miami at 31st just ahead of the pathetic Rams offense 31.46%.

Additionally, Chicago in 2015 when Gase was OC finished 7th with a 42.47% on 3rd downs. Cutler wasn't quite the train wreck as he was last year. My amateur psychologist opinion is Cutler was content being an announcer and 10 million reasons kept him from it. Denver in 2013 led the NFL at 48.05% 3rd down conversion, but they had some guy named Peyton.

Whereas I think Gase can be pointed at is commitment to Tannehill without bringing in real competition (unless otherwise and the press hasn't gotten a hold of it). What we saw in 2016 with all things being relatively equal when Moore filled in after Tannehill's injury he was much more effective and being real Moore is not starting QB quality. That Miami didn't take a shot on a guy like Bridgewater falls on him.
You are entitled to your opinion but just throwing out three numbers and claiming a trend or pattern based on the numbers when the conditions change every year doesn't support your opinion.

You are entitled to your opinion but just throwing out three numbers and claiming a trend or pattern based on the numbers when the conditions change every year doesn't support your opinion.
Lol... Why am I not surprised when someone wants context, but doesn't want context unless it is what they wanted to hear?
I think 29 games under Tannehill and 32 games under Gase is enough to look for patterns.

Great article, analysis, and post as usual Travis. Thanks!

maybe 30 other teams trow short of the sticks but some of those teams get the first down and most of the time we don't. Are we supposed to trow short just cause other teams do it?

None of these dimes mean a damn thing when they don't translate into adequate points. Sorry, but that's the bottom line right now, throughout Tannehill's career, and it overwhelms every other problem on the team.

This is the issue: He's never been great so he doesn't think greedy or great. Settling for another field goal is no big deal. He waltzes off the field in blank expression full acceptance of just another representative drive in his career.

We have to try to force him out of it, even if it means more errors and short term decline. Every time we march fluidly into first down in plus territory at about the 20 or 30 I wish we would play action and dart downfield. Accept the occasional forced pick or holding penalty. Who cares? Those drives have to end in touchdowns. Right now Tannehill doesn't understand they have to be touchdowns. And once you get him into second and third down flatfooted decision making the results have not cooperated and show no signs of ever cooperating.

Obviously we do Tannehill no favors by designing those third down routes shy of the marker. If anything symbolizes Miami Dolphins football right now, that tendency is it. I mentioned Paul Warfield slant passes as the all time signature play in franchise history. Good thing Don Shula and offensive coordinator Howard Schnellenberger didn't own the current playbook. Those slants would have turned into short parallel outs to Warfield, with Howard Twilley asked to block for him.

At least tonight the stalls enabled me to evaluate both new kickers. I slightly prefer the FAU kid, primarily due to a more consistent and fluid swing, while the New Mexico guy has some punch/force tendencies. Both have good fundamentals in terms of proper alignment, and patience to begin the run up. Some young kickers have a tendency to get overly anxious and lean forward, rushing the first step. That never seems to be a problem with Dolphins kickers. Good special teams coaching.

Other than maddening field goals, the interior offensive line stood out, and not in a good way. Those guys are not special athletes nor overly stout and it is going to influence many games during the season. Kilgore was an afterthought in San Francisco. I'm not sure why we pursued him or consider him satisfactory. He had some rapport with Garrapolo but other than that the reviews were not good. Basically they dumped him.

Asiata is similar to Stephone Anthony in that we should have figured out the truth last season.

I love many aspects of this receiving corps. Let me emphasize that. It is so awesome to watch Dolphins football without jittery little faux tough guy Jarvis Landry out there. Wilson is better than I expected. He had some issues with timing on the hitch route but that should clean up easily. Gesicki will be a huge bonus once he's targeted. I don't mind that currently he's quiet. I just hope it is not like stubborn 2016, when Grant already looked capable in preseason but remained in the regular season barn, for no good reason.

Quinn looks great and it won't be a one-time thing. No apparent health issues, correct position, and in shape. Along with Fitzpatrick he might end up being the best defender on the team. I have one buddy who is a Rams fan and he didn't like that trade at all, no matter how much he tried to rationalize it.

The team had good energy tonight, despite the defeat. It looked very much like a road team coming off a loss. That is an energized situation in preseason as well as regular season. I looked for that zest tonight and it was good to see plenty, and from the outset.

Another cupcake trivia question answer in Don McNeal. In fact, I remembered exactly where I was on the USC campus when we made that pick in 1980. It was the first year ESPN covered the draft live but I didn't skip out of classes to watch. What a fool. But I did righten matters the following two years.

Like a Roman Catholic's sins, quarterback mistakes are of both commission and omission. The latter is always what the majority of people on this particular site have never been able to pick up on in regards to Ryan Tannehill. It's why he was destined to only be a game manager in my opinion.

By the way OP, that was a mesh concept McMillian took the bait on as opposed to a drive. Great work though.

Last edited:
I remember in 2015 during a scrimmage with these same Panthers when they asked our DLine to tone it down. Yea, we thought we had a bunch of world beaters on defense that year. Super Bowl bound. Our fresh glass of Suh koolaid was tasting pretty good.

We finished 6-10 for those who have been asleep. But the Panthers DID go to the Super Bowl.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article31836102.html

I will say this, I'm expecting holes and areas of improvement across the board. The concerning thing for me is our natural gas powered offense. Gase and the Dolphins have become notorious for slow starts and inability to put up big numbers.

Right now, I hope Gase is holding back to keep some changes under wraps. Because if I don't hear "dominant" being used to describe this offense then I'm ready for Gase to go or surrender the offense completely.

I'm so tired of hearing about all the weapons we have only to average 20 points a game. I'm ready to start seeing 30s and 40s next to our name on the scoreboard. If you have this much talent and the plays aren't being called to attack every portion of the field, it's on the coaches.

And frankly, I think Parker injuring his finger just bought him another year. I'm tired of coddling this delicate flower. Give me someone with less talent and all fire. Give me someone who PLAYS with a broken finger.

Jay Fiedler won one of the biggest games of his career with a broken thumb.

Man the F up.

Hire Dan Campbell to be Parker's personal coach. Put Parker in an Oklahoma drill vs. every player on the team. Then do it again. Again. Again. Again.

Every year it's the same excuses during pre season. They're playing vanilla on offense, they don't want to show their plays or Gusicki's routes or put any tape on him. Then the regular season comes and the offense looks worse than it did in preseason. Look at the scores the offense put up in those losses. This is a team that is not going to make the playoffs if they have trouble getting to 24 ppg. Contrast the 2017 season with 2016.

2017 scores.PNG

2016 Scores.PNG

Back
Top Bottom