Pre-season Group Position battles: Quarterback | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pre-season Group Position battles: Quarterback

Not offensively. Pittsburg had the 5th lowest points per game in the NFL last year. That was even worse than the Bears.
Was that organizational flaws, though? Or not having a good option at QB?

I would cut White and sign Tannehill. At least I would be confident that we could actually win a game or two in the event of a Tua injury but I know we won’t do it
Tannehill would not function well in this offense. He was very mechanical, tough as nails but processes in a manner that takes too long for this offense. This offense is predicated on getting the ball out to the rockets and letting them make plays.

If you want a project that might be salvageable, people have mentioned Fields and possibly Wilson (who I have no idea what the Jets did to him, but wow...they screwed him up badly). Both however will take ALOT of time to fix.

Was that organizational flaws, though? Or not having a good option at QB?
When was the last time the Steelers were a top 5 offense team?

Tomlin was a defensive coordinator and is very much a defensive guy.

Skylar is also like 9 months older than Tua even though he was draft 2 years later. I'm not sure what we're "developing" with him. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I would have been 100% on board with flipping a 6th for a 7th, and picking up a ~$3M tab for Zach Wilson from the Jets. He has physical tools to "develop" and is ~1.5 years younger than Tua.

100% conspiracy theory.... Between Brissett, Bridgewater, Thompson, and White, Dolphins apparently don't want to backup Tua with anyone but a mid to noodle arm.

Now you're moving the goalposts. Top 5 or it doesn't count as competent?

If you think he is a top QB who is being held back by his surroundings, fine with me.

I disagree.

Well, is anyone going to pay him a $195 Million dollar contract?
How about $100 million dollars?
Still no takers?
How about $25 million?

OK, how about $2 million dollars and he doesn't have to play too many snaps and have a chance to be in the Superbowl, while showing a lot of Dolphins fans how wrong they were about you?

Not a bad way to "ease into retirement.
Why would Tannehill sign for $2mm now and return to practice in the Florida heat when he could sit around, train indoors, and get magnitudes more for a partial season if/when another team's starter goes down? Particularly when he is such a bad fit for the Dolphins considering their offense as currently constructed? $2mm to a person with hundreds of millions isn't sufficient motivation.

Personally I still have a bad taste from Tanny's first go around with the Fins, but I think that's moot because I don't see how a reunion makes sense.

Skylar is also like 9 months older than Tua even though he was draft 2 years later. I'm not sure what we're "developing" with him. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I would have been 100% on board with flipping a 6th for a 7th, and picking up a ~$3M tab for Zach Wilson from the Jets. He has physical tools to "develop" and is ~1.5 years younger than Tua.

100% conspiracy theory.... Between Brissett, Bridgewater, Thompson, and White, Dolphins apparently don't want to backup Tua with anyone but a mid to noodle arm.
Wilson will almost certainly be available as a free agent next off-season , or perhaps cut before then if the team wants him I think he is gettable.

If Wilson gets hurt i guess we'll see. I have my doubts.

For one thing I've watched the guy play. You stated, quite correctly, that his physical attributes are undeniable and very high level.

It is also undeniable that the Bears were not interested in investing any more time, letting him go for a half eaten bagel.

It is possible it was bad coaching, or a bad system, rather than the mental aspect.

What do you think is most likely?
The Bears may also have seen Fields' limitations and decided it wasn't worth building a team around his strengths when he was a year away from a costly extension. Especially when they were holding 1.1 and a more highly regarded QB prospect with a 5-year rookie deal was there for the taking. Not to say Fields has no future but it has to be with the right team at the right time. Dolphins don't seem to be that team at this time.

Now you're moving the goalposts. Top 5 or it doesn't count as competent?

If you think he is a top QB who is being held back by his surroundings, fine with me.

I disagree.
Who is moving the goalposts? The Dolphins were a top 5 offense last season. Tomlin is a DC. The Steelers haven't been a good offensive team in a very long time.

A top QB who is being held back by his surroundings? No. You are putting words in my mouth. I said he's a top tools guy who could possibly improve in a place with top offensive weapons and a system built for him. You made up some nonsense about him not having the mental capacity.

Who is moving the goalposts? The Dolphins were a top 5 offense last season. Tomlin is a DC. The Steelers haven't been a good offensive team in a very long time.

A top QB who is being held back by his surroundings? No. You are putting words in my mouth. I said he's a top tools guy who could possibly improve in a place with top offensive weapons and a system built for him. You made up some nonsense about him not having the mental capacity.
It is possible. Do you think it likely? Do you think McD has a preferred scheme for which he acquired players with certain attributes? Or do you think he has no preference and completely alter his scheme to suit a specific QB?

IDK the answer to that.

Wilson will almost certainly be available as a free agent next off-season , or perhaps cut before then if the team wants him I think he is gettable.

Broncos naturally declined Wilson’s 5th year option. Unless he totally shits the bed, I expect they’ll smartly try to lock him up on a backup contract for 2-3 years and hedge their bets if he can supplant Nix.

The Bears may also have seen Fields' limitations and decided it wasn't worth building a team around his strengths when he was a year away from a costly extension. Especially when they were holding 1.1 and a more highly regarded QB prospect with a 5-year rookie deal was there for the taking. Not to say Fields has no future but it has to be with the right team at the right time. Dolphins don't seem to be that team at this time.
May have seen? More like it was seared into their corneas .... I am rooting so hard for Tomlin to embrace the Stiller tradition of finding a way to use an athlete in a quasi-QB role, put him in on KO's, double passes, WR, let the man play football. Will Fields embrace that role? Probably not.

Skylar can't really run a timing based offense. He's not quick release. He's a see the field, maybe scramble, and throw type.

They should have drafted someone with high end tools w/ high ceiling/high bust or got Fields.

If Skylar (whom I like a lot) isn't "up to speed" this year, it's time to replace him.
That could be what bringing in Hardison was all about!

Back
Top Bottom