Press Conference reactions

Muck

Now completely imaginary
☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
IT'S OFFICIAL: Norv Turner joins the Phins

Friendly hire

Turner joins Wannstedt, Dolphins as offensive coordinator

No longer a candidate for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coaching job, Norv Turner accepted an earlier offer to become offensive coordinator of the Miami Dolphins.

Turner, former head coach of the Washington Redskins, spent the 2001 season as offensive coordinator of the San Diego Chargers. He became head coach of the Redskins in 1994 and compiled a 50-60-1 record, including 1-1 in the playoffs, before being dismissed after 13 games in 2000.

Under Turner, the Chargers improved from 28th overall offensively in 2000 to 11th last season. For just the second time in team history, the Chargers had a 3,000-yard passer (Doug Flutie), a 1,000-yard rusher (LaDainian Tomlinson) and a 1,000-yard receiver (Curtis Conway).

Still, the Chargers lost their last nine games and finished 5-11, leading to Mike Riley and all of his assistants except Turner being fired. Turner was one of three candidates interviewed for the head coaching job, which was filled by Marty Schottenheimer.

The Chargers reportedly wanted Turner to stay, but Turner cited his close relationship with Dolphins head coach Dave Wannstedt as the main reason for asking out. Turner and Wannstedt were on Southern Cal's staff in the early 1980s and on the Dallas Cowboys' staff in the early 1990s.

Turner and Mike Shula, the Dolphins QB coach, were the front-runners to replace Chan Gailey, who became head coach at Georgia Tech last month.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/news/2002/02/05/dolphins_turner/

Norv makes it official at 3.

DW and NT will announce at a press conference that Norv will be takin over the offense coordinator position.....

He has pulled himself out of Tampa's list of candidates......

The press conference is on live at 4:30 on miamidolphins.com.

I think this is a great hiring by Wanne, although it is another case of hiring someone because he likes him, but besides Dennis Green, who is doing a fishing show, this was the best OC available and we took advantage. He said that he wants to make big plays, and it seems like the offense won't be as conservative. He said he wants to throw to lots of players, stating that he wants 3 or 4 guys to get 30 catches. He is also gonna use Konrad in passing situations, since he likes to go to the FB. Although he does want to bring Jay back:fire: , it sounds like the offense is gonna be pretty good next year if Norv keeps his word, which I think he will. He made the San Diego offense 11th in the league, which was 28th the year before. I think he can make this a top 10 offense, and I think he will. Good things are coming in Miami.:)

Ice................

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
I think this is a great hiring by Wanne, although it is another case of hiring someone because he likes him, but besides Dennis Green, who is doing a fishing show, this was the best OC available and we took advantage. He said that he wants to make big plays, and it seems like the offense won't be as conservative. He said he wants to throw to lots of players, stating that he wants 3 or 4 guys to get 30 catches. He is also gonna use Konrad in passing situations, since he likes to go to the FB. Although he does want to bring Jay back:fire: , it sounds like the offense is gonna be pretty good next year if Norv keeps his word, which I think he will. He made the San Diego offense 11th in the league, which was 28th the year before. I think he can make this a top 10 offense, and I think he will. Good things are coming in Miami.:)

I agree with the exception of Jay being back possibly. Although, I believe that Jay could be improve some if he has a healthy/strong o-line and a solid running game. Our offense should improve with the acquisition of Norv.;)

it all sounds good............

lets hope it works! i didn't get to listen to the press conference, i turned it on but had to leave, but norv sounds like what we want. i'm still a little warry about bates, seems like that guy doesn't know how to adjust!:rolleyes: he goes into a game with a plan and thats it!

Re: it all sounds good............

Originally posted by dolfan06
lets hope it works! i didn't get to listen to the press conference, i turned it on but had to leave, but norv sounds like what we want. i'm still a little warry about bates, seems like that guy doesn't know how to adjust!:rolleyes: he goes into a game with a plan and thats it!
Dave has got leave Norv to tend to the O without any interference from a D guy; and concentrate on the D - like Bellichek does for the Champs.

Norv has the right idea - you have got to make the opposing D respect your ability to throw to any of your skill players including TEs and FBs.

Re: Re: it all sounds good............

Originally posted by dolphan39
Dave has got leave Norv to tend to the O without any interference from a D guy; and concentrate on the D - like Bellichek does for the Champs.

Norv has the right idea - you have got to make the opposing D respect your ability to throw to any of your skill players including TEs and FBs.
exactly, wanny knows defense and can only screw up the offense. believe me, i KNOW!

Originally posted by dofnsman4303
06 i couldnt agree more i definitly do not like bates running our defense
Bates running our D should not be a problem - unless it is a problem with Wanne: who is the DC for the Pats ????

Back
Top Bottom