Pricepoint of players | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pricepoint of players

OmegaPhinsFan

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I just read that Tunsil is seeking to be the highest paid linemen. I know we are desperate for tackles, but maybe this was indeed a good decision. It seems now-a-days if you develop your draft talent, you can't afford to keep them. You almost want good players, not elite, just to be able to sign and keep them, or you have to rotate players every four years. Do you all think this was a good decision?

Good decision? Depends on the players we end up getting with those picks. You have to be smart about who you pay and at what position. I personally wouldn't pay a HB unless its a HOF talent like Adrian Peterson even than I wouldn't pay him past a certain age. I don't think an elite LT is as important as it used to be so making one the highest paid at his position is probably not necessary. Especially if he's asking for borderline QB money. It's not like in the old days where your best pass rusher lined up opposite the LT, nowadays elite pass rusher's is moved around all over.

The Texans own doing. When a team trades two 1st round picks and a 2nd for a player, that player's agent has the team by the balls when it comes to negotiating a new contact.

I think the dolphins would have been happy to keep Tunsil and eventually pay him what the market dictates. But someone made us an offer we couldn't refuse. It really is that simple.

Rather or not the trade was worth it doesn't depend on what we do with those draft picks. To think so is like saying......selling you car for double the blue book value is only smart.......if your replacement car is equal or better. The two aren't related.

One of the reasons Miami was willing to trade Tunsil was the big extension that he was due this year.

I think they felt that while he was a good LT he was not a great one and they would have to pay him like he was an All Pro while not being a competitive team for a good portion of his contract.

That being said, they don't trade him unless Houston makes such a ridiculous offer. They could not turn down all those picks.

I was hoping they could lock him up like they did Howard but when the prospect of all those picks came up I would have helped Tunsil pack his bags.

And when you consider the Cap Space that would have gone to Tunsil that they spent on all the FA moves it is hard to argue with the decision.

And yes they need to find a good LT in the next 2 Drafts, not to validate the trade but because they need one.

And Tunsil has them over a barrel.

They have to pay him.

He is not the best LT in the League, not even top 5 but he is going to get PAID.

Good for him. Considering the $$$ he lost because of the gas mask video I am glad he is getting his money.

Any time a team is willing to give up 2 1sts and a 2nd for a player that isn’t a QB or elite playmaker, you take the trade. My understanding of the situation is that we wanted to keep Tunsil, but Houston’s offer was so crazy we couldn’t pass on it.

To quote Laremy Tunsil; "I'd trade me for that too", when Miami told him what Houston was offering.

I think it worked out well for LT because of 1. Proximity to where he grew up, 2. Playing with a bonafide star QB, 3. All the leverage in the world in re-negotiations.

I still can't believe the haul we got, I was never in favor or trading Tunsil nor did I think it was going to happen when the rumors were swirling. After hearing the compensation it was a no brainer and certainly the catalyst for a full scale rebuild.

That move is the best thing that's happened to this franchise in a long time. Along with hiring B-Flo.

I just read that Tunsil is seeking to be the highest paid linemen. I know we are desperate for tackles, but maybe this was indeed a good decision. It seems now-a-days if you develop your draft talent, you can't afford to keep them. You almost want good players, not elite, just to be able to sign and keep them, or you have to rotate players every four years. Do you all think this was a good decision?

Saw that too and O'Brien has no choice now but to sign him to what he wants after trading two first rounders, can't just let him go now and yeah I absolutely love the trade. Obviously easy to look back now and love it but if we end up with Tua the LT will no longer be blocking the blindside so the RT will be the more important tackle on our team (obviously we can move Tunsil to RT but that doesn't work with everyone). Of course we do have to hit on the picks we got back but it allowed us to save $20 million (or whatever he is asking) that we can spend elsewhere AND take a shot on two first rounders and a second rounder in the next two years.

Of course if we draft a tackle in the first round this year and he's a complete bust that will hurt

Always tough to trade away good to possibly elite one day talent, but how can you say no to that many high draft picks.

If Miami ends up with 3 solid to good players, that is far more important then having one great player...Especially if you have good coaching to help elivate those three.

I cant believe that ANYONE still argues that this was a bad trade. We KILLED Houston here. Three high picks for one guy, and they took Stills too? (I liked Stills, but Ross was dying to get rid of him).

Good Lord, this was grand theft. Tunsil is in line for a 5 year, 100 million dollar contract with about 40 million guaranteed. He'll be untradable due to his cap hit.

I think for people to decide whether a trade is good based on who those pick ultimately net are missing the point, this is two decisions, to trade a person, and then to decide what we do with that draft capital

Back
Top Bottom