Props to Wannspeil on recent personnel decisions | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Props to Wannspeil on recent personnel decisions

Vegas_Phin

Alright Miami!!!
Reaction score
After watching inside the NFL and the segment on Seau, it got me thinking of the essential components that have been brought in the last couple of years.

First, we steal Ricky from the Saints for what turned out to be 2 first round picks. This year they show patience in Free Agency, first coming up with Seau in a trade. Then, later in the FA period they pick up Sammy Knight and Brian Griese without breaking the bank. For the most part, these pickups have panned out.

In addition, they have kept the nucleus of this team together. I think they have done an excellent job of managing personnel.

I know I am missing the draft pickups, but I am sure somebody that is a draft expert will help me out.

It is awesome being a fan of a first class organization.

GO PHINS

A draft can't truly be evaluated for 3 years. But even so, so far it would seem that we managed to get 5 guys who will see playing time in their first 3 years in the league.

Wade Smith, definitely a good job there he's been a starter at LT for 3 games already and has basically only let someone blow by him for a sack on Jay Fiedler once. And it was Aaron Schobel. I think Schobel caught him by surprise, Wade was thinkin heck I just took on John Abraham and blanked him, forget about Aaron frickin Schobel...well guess what Aaron is a tough player and he works real hard and has quickness. He can be dangerous when underestimated.

The rest though, we're not destined to get much of a rookie contribution from. And while that is disappointing its not necessarily abnormal either. Unfortunately it was Eddie Moore who looked like was going to challenge for the starting spot next to Zach and Junior...and he suffered the season ending foot injury. Ouch. He or Corey Jenkins will see the field as starters within the next 2 years though, I am 100% certain. As for JR Tolver we can only hope he makes a quantum leap to being a quality starting WR (no he's not there yet). Donald Lee shows flashes and can definitely be a suitable TE in most offenses...once he gets over the rookie errors.

Yeremiah Bell, Davern Williams, Tim Provost, and Taylor Whitley...might as well not have been drafted as far as I am concerned. Taylor Whitley was outshined by his undrafted teammate Billy Yates...so much so that they gave Yates a roster spot cuz they didn't want to lose him. They couldn't just cut a 3rd round pick, at the very least to save face. We'll see where Whitley fits in during the next 3 years, but I doubt it will be anything good.

The draft is so risky :(

If McGahee doesn't pan out to be a dominating back. Buff is gonna get pissed on ;). Not to mention they just overpayed for a 30 year old Safety ;).

I dunno about overpaying Lawyer. He fits perfectly into what they want to do on defense. He is perfectly capable of dominating like a 4th linebacker, which is exactly what Greg Williams use to have Blaine Bishop do on his old Tennessee defenses.

As for McGahee, he's going to be good, probably Clinton Portis good if you ask me. My criticism for them is that they HAVE a good back, a complete one in Travis Henry. Why give Henry money then draft his replacement? You can take the value argument and shove it, something soured them on Travis Henry and the transition will not be smooth. They are poised for a real run this year and instead of drafting someone that could have helped them this year they drafted a guy who can't help them until next year.

They could have had William Joseph. They could have had Tyler Brayton. They could have had Ken Hamlin, Boss Bailey, or Pisa Tinoisamoa. They could have gotten Dallas Clark to replace the departed Jay Riemersma. They could have done any number of things to shore up that offensive line that played so horribly against the Phins whether it be Kwame Harris or Eric Steinbach.

Even better they could have attempted to trade UP, to get someone like DE Calvin Pace or maybe even DE Jerome McDougal.

Instead they drafted longterm on a position that was already settled for the longterm. I give the pick a big fat F.

OMG!!! Is this a thread complimenting Wanny and Spiel ?!?!?! :eek:

GREAT DRAFT PICKS:

Chrish Chambers (2nd)
Wade Smith (3rd)
Randy Mcmicheal (4th)
Ron Lee (4th)
Todd Wade (2nd)
Seth Mckinney (3rd)

Undrafted:
Adewale "King" Ogunleye

Who the hell is Ron Lee? Do you mean Donald(Ronald is the full name of Ron...). He was picked in the fifth, has not done anything incredible yet. Sorry but this team is kept alive through cheap FA. O-Gun is a prince.

Wade is not playing great and is asking for lots of money. McKinney has been solid not grat. Smith, McMike and Chambers are the only ones I really agree with. For pure drafting in four years we have done OK.

Where they have kept this team great is through FA. They have welt and dealt to give this team more chances and better ones at that.

As far as trades go yes we have made some good ones to keep us in contention.

Free Agency and the draft has been incredibly spotty.

So spotty that I think the 97 or the 98 draft, solo, was stronger then the entire Wanny drafts.

97:

2 Sam Madison (44) CB Louisville
3a Jason Taylor (73) DE Akron
3d y-Brent Smith (96) T Mississippi St (was solid depth for us and almost took over at tackle if not for injury and is a starting guard right now)
6d Ed Perry (177) TE James Madison

98:

2a Patrick Surtain (44) CB Southern Miss
2b Kenny Mixon (49) DE LSU
4a Lorenzo Bromell (102) DE Clemson
1b John Avery (29) RB Mississippi (I know.....bust for us but still in this league as a pretty good kick returner)

Compared to:

2000-2003:

2 Todd Wade (53) T Mississippi
5 Arturo Freeman (152) S South Carolina
1 Jamar Fletcher (26) CB Wisconsin
2a Chris Chambers (52) WR Wisconsin
3a Travis Minor (85) RB Florida State
3b Morlon Greenwood (88) LB Syracuse
3 Seth McKinney (90) C Texas A&M
4a Randy McMichael (114) TE Georgia
2 Eddie Moore (49) LB Tennessee
3a Wade Smith (78) T Memphis
5a Donald Lee (156) TE Mississippi State
5b J.R. Tolver (169) WR San Diego State
6a Corey Jenkins (181) LB South Carolina

But Van, we didn't have a D before those picks, that's why they look so great, we drafted D personnel. Relook your 2000 until players, they are playing pretty good, with Chris, McMicheal, Wade Smith, Todd Wade, Freeman, Greenwood, Minor, Mckinney all contributing, if not starting...not bad either...go look at Cincy, dallas, and some others during that same time..for the draft spots and no 1st rounders for the last 2 years, we haven't done bad. We had to get FA's to make up for the lack of draft picks traded away.

Originally posted by MDFINFAN
But Van, we didn't have a D before those picks, that's why they look so great, we drafted D personnel. Relook your 2000 until players, they are playing pretty good, with Chris, McMicheal, Wade Smith, Todd Wade, Freeman, Greenwood, Minor, Mckinney all contributing, if not starting...not bad either...go look at Cincy, dallas, and some others during that same time..for the draft spots and no 1st rounders for the last 2 years, we haven't done bad. We had to get FA's to make up for the lack of draft picks traded away.

So what if we didn't have D before this picks? I'm rating them specifically on what they bring to the table.

You cannot tell me Greenwood is playing good as the phins are trying to replace him and has brought ZERO big plays to the table. Wade is very average, Freeman we replaced and is a backup. Minor (who I think can be a solid player) isn't getting any playing time and we still aren't sure what we have in McKinney.

Also there is no real argument about the first rounders because even when the phins have them they don't pick well with them.

Also what Free Agents are you talking about? Dedric Ward, Ray Lucas, Derrius Thompson? Like I said before.....we've made some great trades. It's FA that has sucked and drafting has been very average.

2000:
PLAYERS SIGNED (4):
QB Jay Fiedler -- signed on February 17 (from Jacksonville)
LB Scott Galyon -- signed on February 29 (from N.Y. Giants)
G Heath Irwin -- signed on February 29 (from New England)
S Brian Walker -- signed on February 16 (from Seattle)

2001:
PLAYERS SIGNED (6):
CB Terry Cousin -- signed on March 15 (from Atlanta)
QB Ray Lucas -- signed offer sheet on March 9 (from N.Y. Jets). Jets declined to match offer sheet on March 16
WR James McKnight -- signed on March 16 (from Dallas)
G Todd Perry -- signed on March 3 (from Chicago)
T Marcus Spriggs -- signed on April 19 (from Buffalo)
WR Dedric Ward -- signed on April 18 (from N.Y. Jets)

2002:
PLAYERS SIGNED (1):
DT Larry Chester -- signed on March 5 (from Carolina)

2003:
PLAYERS SIGNED (6):
TE Marco Battaglia -- signed on March 25 (from Pittsburgh)
CB Terrell Buckley -- signed on March 13 (from New England)
S Sammy Knight -- signed on May 13 (from New Orleans)
KR Charlie Rogers -- signed on April 11 (from Buffalo)
WR Derrius Thompson -- signed on March 8 (from Washington)
DT Jeff Zgonina -- signed on March 31 (from St. Louis)

So far I see 5 names on FA that worked out (albeit arguably at to how well) well.....and one of those we lost in Walker. Chester, Feidler, Perry and Knight (although jury is still out on Knight). Jury is still out on Zgonina to.

I just think this team could do a lot better in both of these departments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom