Put the Bob Stoops bandwagon in neutral | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Put the Bob Stoops bandwagon in neutral

DrAstroZoom

Bon vivant
Reaction score
In the wake of Wanny's tenuous situation, I'm hearing more and more murmurs of Bob Stoops. While I think he's done a fine job at Oklahoma, I don't think he's the man for Miami.

I have three simple reasons:

(1) Stoops rose to prominence as a defensive coordinator. I'm not sure that, if the Dolphins make a coaching change, we should be seeking someone with a defensive pedigree.

(2) While Stoops' Oklahoma team has become dominant in the Big 12, that's not quite the badge of honor it once was. Click here for an interesting ESPN article on the decline of the Big 12.

(3) Finally (and this is my biggest problem): exceptions like Jimmy Johnson notwithstanding, college head coaches who jump immediately into NFL head coaching gigs just don't have a history of success, either immediately or in a rebuilding situation.

I'm now exiting my soapbox.

3 good points well made Dr Z, but I still think he'd be high on the list and I would be IMMENSLY pleased if we got him, especially if it stopped Dennis Green getting the job.

Well, then, Boomer ... we shall have to agree to disagree. I'm used to that where you're concerned. ;)

(I'm not hatin'. We just seem to end up on opposite sides of the fence on issues.)

Personally, I wouldn't mind Green or Stoops. Though, it seems both would be extreme longshots to come to Miami. I am more inclined to go back to Jimmy Johnson. I know that is even more of a longshot, but...something tells me he has unfinished buisness here. He drafted most of the stars on defense here and never got to see his plan fulfilled with him there. I think he may be willing to coach again now that his family situation is a little more stable and he has had time to recoup. What do you guys think?

Dr Z, I think it would be boring if we all thought the same thing. I have GREAT respect for you as a poster here, always have done. Hopefully we'll hook up on the RIGHT side of a discussion soon enough!! ;)

My two points, 1) Stoops may be a D-minded coach but the Sooners are scoring alot of points for a team lead by that type of coach. 2) I also would be glad to get anybody other then Green. I will say I don't know if I want a first year coach after the past few years of crap we have had.

Back
Top Bottom