put your thinking caps on guys!!!! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

put your thinking caps on guys!!!!

slubeaner

Practice Squad
Reaction score
hi all! LONG time lurker, obessive reader, first time posting but you made me do it! lets look at a couple of positives for the feeley signing:

1) we didnt have to pay him the farm ala mark brunell, warner and garcia. if we broke open the vault for any of those guys who are just as big of risks, we would be faced with some tough decisions on defense, and i dont think we can afford to cut into too much and still play at a high level. bottom line, we are still paying a guy a pittance compared to other qbs to lead our team.

2) jay fiedler set the bar pretty low for quarterbacking on this team. lets be honest, he was terrible. how many times did we have to see chambers screaming down the sideline, only to watch a wobbly, uncatchable ball get thrown up for grabs? how many times (ALL YEAR????) did he actually hit a receiver in stride? feeley will be faced with a lot less pressure than fiedler had on his shoulders replacing a legend.

3) we arent giving up anymore of our draft picks this year, in what should be an exciting draft, loaded with skill position players that we sorely need. did you really want to give up a first rounder for ramsey, only to see stud receiver after stud receiver getting gobbled up? we have a chance to draft someone really special to line up next to chambers, thats what im talking about! if someone bites on the prince, we add a stud o-lineman while we are at it.

the only thing worse than taking a chance, was not taking a chance in my book. lets see what the kid brings!

Welcome Slubeaner...

As you have noted you will not change the minds of those that won't agree with you. But that's all right, we are not here to change peoples minds, but to offer opinions and believes...

Good post, but I have to agree with some of the others that our FO paid a little too much for what AJ has shown. I believe that is their biggest beef....

Only time will tell, come December will see if our team's future is bright or not....

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a bad post...welcome to the board and post more often. I'm starting to like the deal myself, but the FO has to get help for the o-line and they must draft one of those WR's coming out this year. Lets not count on DT cos we need soneone good next to CC.

Ozzy rules!!

I'm not impressed with this move, but reading your post has made it a bit easier for me to swallow.....

It will be very nice to have a talented young WR opposite C. Chambers, and this draft is full of them. Knowing that we didn't have to give up our first for a QB, makes this decision more attractive as well.....

I just hope the kid can be the true upgrade we all expect him to be. If he's not, we will have most likely blown an excellent opportunity to land a possible future star QB {Ramsey / Henson / Rivers} this year....

I'm still venting, so if I sound overly pessimistic right now, forgive me. I think it's well justified however.....

PHINZ RULE!!!!:pirate:

i distinctly remember when Drew got knocked out against the jets, and laughing to myself that the patriots are screwed this year. i mean, who is this tom brady kid? they only went on to win two out of three super bowls.

i distinctly remember when trent green went down in the preseason, and kurt warner took the reins of what i had thought was a pretty good rams team. i remember vermeils tearful plea to give the kid a chance, and i chuckled and thought about how screwed the rams were. all they did was go to two out of three super bowls winning one.

my only point is, how do you know?

exactly

Originally posted by slubeaner
i distinctly remember when Drew got knocked out against the jets, and laughing to myself that the patriots are screwed this year. i mean, who is this tom brady kid? they only went on to win two out of three super bowls.

i distinctly remember when trent green went down in the preseason, and kurt warner took the reins of what i had thought was a pretty good rams team. i remember vermeils tearful plea to give the kid a chance, and i chuckled and thought about how screwed the rams were. all they did was go to two out of three super bowls winning one.

my only point is, how do you know?

It's way too early to tell if this was a good or bad trade for us, one thing's for certain, this isn't the end of the transactions Maimi will make in the qb department this offseason, so I wouldn't jump the gun, just yet. Besides, let the man play a down for us first.

hi all! LONG time lurker, obessive reader, first time posting but you made me do it! lets look at a couple of positives for the feeley signing:

1) we didnt have to pay him the farm ala mark brunell, warner and garcia. if we broke open the vault for any of those guys who are just as big of risks, we would be faced with some tough decisions on defense, and i dont think we can afford to cut into too much and still play at a high level. bottom line, we are still paying a guy a pittance compared to other qbs to lead our team.

2) jay fiedler set the bar pretty low for quarterbacking on this team. lets be honest, he was terrible. how many times did we have to see chambers screaming down the sideline, only to watch a wobbly, uncatchable ball get thrown up for grabs? how many times (ALL YEAR????) did he actually hit a receiver in stride? feeley will be faced with a lot less pressure than fiedler had on his shoulders replacing a legend.

3) we arent giving up anymore of our draft picks this year, in what should be an exciting draft, loaded with skill position players that we sorely need. did you really want to give up a first rounder for ramsey, only to see stud receiver after stud receiver getting gobbled up? we have a chance to draft someone really special to line up next to chambers, thats what im talking about! if someone bites on the prince, we add a stud o-lineman while we are at it.

the only thing worse than taking a chance, was not taking a chance in my book. lets see what the kid brings!

Good post.
I also just read that the deal was actually going to be 5 years $18 million with a $3 million signing bonus.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...feb22,0,472963.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front
That would make more sense to me as Feeley would only carry a cap charge of just over $1 million!!!!
As long as this contract is heavily backloaded, our risk is VERY minimal. We have found ourselves a very cheap starting QB and we can strengthen more of our team.
We are close to resigning Wade. I like this move. While his pass protection needs some work, he is our most solid run blocker. Ricky's YPC are MUCH HIGHER when running outside right as opposed to anywhere else on the line. Todd also has a lot of years ahead of him. Once again backload his contract, and we'll be alright cap wise. I think the INTERIOR of our line was the real weakness last year. W. Smith had a few breakdowns but played GREAT for a rookie thrown in early. Add a solid guard or two and another stud WR in the draft and we are set to make a run.
KUDOs to the FO. We kept all of our draft picks for this year and got a new young starting QB with only a $1 million cap hit and minimal financial risk if it doesn't work out!!
It was a well thought out maneuver.

BTW, I am a huge Rivers fan, but think the chances of him falling to us are pretty slim. We had to make some kind of move, and this one made the most sense to us. Now we can set our sights on figuring out who we want between Reg Williams, M Clayton, and M Jenkins (Fitzgerald, Roy Williams, and M Williams will be gone along with probably ONE of the above).
I for one am VERY excited about the possibilities of this young offense.
Not only are we competitive now, but we are also shoring up our future with a very promising young offense.

"BTW, I am a huge Rivers fan, but think the chances of him falling to us are pretty slim. We had to make some kind of move, and this one made the most sense to us. Now we can set our sights on figuring out who we want between Reg Williams, M Clayton, and M Jenkins (Fitzgerald, Roy Williams, and M Williams will be gone along with probably ONE of the above).
I for one am VERY excited about the possibilities of this young offense.
Not only are we competitive now, but we are also shoring up our future with a very promising young offense"

phillip rivers will be a good one, no doubt about it, but would we have been happy if we had to give up our third rounder just to move up a few spots to get ahead of buffalo and pittsburgh? teams always want an arm and a leg just for a few draft spots. can we afford another draft like last year?

you also cant build your team entirely through free agency, its just too expensive. im fairly confident that our FO considered EVERY scenario 100% before making this choice.

Great post!! It's nice to see more people are at least willing to look at this with some optimism..

Rather than face a draft of uncertainty, and walk away with an empty hand, the team elected to make a move now and proceed forward, focusing on other needs. They obviously felt that upgrading the QB position was pressing enough to make a move NOW rather than to wait and hope the chips would fall.

With his name shooting up the charts, there's absolutely NO guarantee that Rivers would fall to the Phins at 20, and Houston's asking price seems to waver daily..

Another thing that's positive about it is the kid can step in and start NOW.. With Rivers and Henson, there is no guarantees that either can step in immediately and lead the helm.

In his five games, if nothing else Feely proved to be servicable..

If trading Fiedler is now the name of the game. I would say this QB thing is far from over. Nothing has even started yet!

I think we will get Losman in the draft now or someone like Pickett in the third or somethin.

i think we will get a WR and hopefully it will be Lee Evans from ...........you guessed it..... Wisconsin.

I think we should go into this draft pretty healthy with picks becuase if we do lose JF, Griese, Ruddy, Perry, Wade?.....i think we should get some compensation.

I think we will draft a center/Guard like Leckey or Jake.

QB WR Center in draft
Darkhorse in draft on day one that may piss alot of people off is Vince Wilfork drops to us in a bargain pick (traded down or picked up 2nd rounder) and we draft him to start the bashers bashing. timbo could be dealt or cut to save money and here is the real surprise............Sam Madison gets cut and we get another CB in FA and go with Roundtree/Banks in preseason.

OL in FA. Villarreal.

Back
Top Bottom