Q & A Live with Rick Spielman! Please do this.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Q & A Live with Rick Spielman! Please do this....

texasPHINSfan

Pro Bowl
Reaction score
Hey,
i just had a great idea.... Spielman is doing the Q & A on the dolphins website this week.... if we all bombard him with the same question we can get a pretty good chance of an answer. the question i asked is (and tell me if you think its a good question - reveals a lot without revealing too much)

"Which position do you think we need to address first in the 2004 draft?"

if y'all agree with me, can we all take the two minutes to ask that in the comment box? i even provided the link here - directly to the question box.

he will start answering them on friday. good luck!

click here to ask Spielman a question!

Re: Q & A Live with Rick Spielman! Please do this....

Originally posted by texasPHINSfan
Hey,
i just had a great idea.... Spielman is doing the Q & A on the dolphins website this week.... if we all bombard him with the same question we can get a pretty good chance of an answer. the question i asked is (and tell me if you think its a good question - reveals a lot without revealing too much)

"Which position do you think we need to address first in the 2004 draft?"

if y'all agree with me, can we all take the two minutes to ask that in the comment box? i even provided the link here - directly to the question box.

he will start answering them on friday. good luck!

click here to ask Spielman a question!

I really don't want an answer to that question. Not an honest one anyway. That would tip our hand and its far too early and crucial right now that the team don't do that.

i really think those parties REALLY interested in knowing what we are going to do (i.e. other teams) already know what each other is going to do. i meant that question of Rick Spielman for us, the fans to know.

this goes along with that stuff you put on the top shelf of "the enemy already knows, but lets tell the public so they can know too..."

being a military person you should be able to understand that Navy! ;)

not to mention - don't you think the other teams are more interested in drafting who they NEED at whatever pick, and not just trying to steal someone from someone else? (the exception to this is the first couple of picks like Eli, who can be used for leverage).

i highly doubt that Houston, Buffalo, or New England (to name a few) cares who we are going to pick... they are more concerned about their own teams. these guys are in their 40's +, not 10 years old!

... and i didn't say ask for a name - just a position ;) there's plenty of eligible guys at each position we need, remember!

:goof:

i really think those parties REALLY interested in knowing what we are going to do (i.e. other teams) already know what each other is going to do. i meant that question of Rick Spielman for us, the fans to know.

this goes along with that stuff you put on the top shelf of "the enemy already knows, but lets tell the public so they can know too..."

being a military person you should be able to understand that Navy! ;)

HAHAHAHA....naaaaa. Keep 'em guessin ;).

not to mention - don't you think the other teams are more interested in drafting who they NEED at whatever pick, and not just trying to steal someone from someone else? (the exception to this is the first couple of picks like Eli, who can be used for leverage).

i highly doubt that Houston, Buffalo, or New England (to name a few) cares who we are going to pick... they are more concerned about their own teams. these guys are in their 40's +, not 10 years old!

... and i didn't say ask for a name - just a position ;) there's plenty of eligible guys at each position we need, remember!

:goof:

Oh they care. We're in the same division and if they have the opportunity to take a great pick and stick us in the process you don't think they'd jump right on it?

Business baby!!! They eat their YOUNG!

yeah but take our scenario for instance....

we BADLY need a QB, WR, OL......

say we know that New England is going to pick a Strong Safety (one of the top-rated in the draft)...

are we going to pick that? NO FRIGGIN WAY!

we have priorities, positions we REALLY need!

(thats just an example)

I'd rather ask....

When Dave predictably blows it this year, what is your short list of HCs to replace him? :D

I'd like him to give us a pros and cons of each starting player on the offensive line.

Originally posted by Superself
I'd rather ask....

When Dave predictably blows it this year, what is your short list of HCs to replace him? :D

I'd like him to give us a pros and cons of each starting player on the offensive line.

:roflmao:

I suppose you could ask

"Assuming we give Ogunleye a first round tender, would you be tempted not to match a contract offer from say, Houston, if it meant getting Houston's #10 pick?"

Doubt he'd answer that.

The best questions are ones where you have to figure out what the answer means, and not too obvious either.

Like "Did the Senior Bowl game itself dramatically change your thoughts on any particular player(s) or do you feel the week of practices gave you an accurate idea of your draft priorities"

Then there's always flat out DIRECTness. Just be like "What were your thoughts on Phillip Rivers' performance at the Senior Bowl game?"

Or ask the same thing about JP Losman, Devery Henderson, Michael Jenkins, or Darnall Dockett.

Maybe "If you had Chad Clifton and Wade Smith on your roster, would you play Smith at RT?"

"Would you move up in the first round if you felt it was necessary to get the player you want?"

What ya gotta understand is you gotta be smart about these things man. If you ask a question like the one you proposed, no matter how many times someone asks its either going to be disregarded altogether, or Spielman will answer it by pelting out about 5 different positions we're lookin at.

Aim small, and you'll get the occasional nugget, indirectly.

yeah parrothead i thought about that.... i was trying to figure out who we'd get with our first pick.... but i didn't want to be too direct. also has to be a question that answerable to the public. (i.e. that a lot of people would want to know and could use...)

so i thought asking what position we'd address first in the draft would be good.... non-specific, but tells US a whole lot...

by the way, superself, that cracked me up. another great question, but you know he'd never answer that.

The best questions are the ones where you can get them to answer not only your question, but a question you didn't ask.

Like the question about moving up in the draft, you could probably phrase it in a way so that you can gauge by Spielman's response whether or not there IS a player or players in the first round that he feels that strongly about.

Asking what position is still too direct, and specific because that narrows it down significantly. For instance if he says QB then that means the Phins ARE going after Losman or Rivers.

No doubt he wants other teams to think we may go after a WR, OL, etc. That way someone below us who wants a Phillip Rivers on their roster, won't trade up to bypass us. That is mainly why you don't tip your hand in the draft. If you do, you're basically telling teams below you exactly where to move up to.

I asked three questions under three different names, variations of my own.

C K (Tampa)
"Did the Senior Bowl game itself significantly change your opinion of any particular player(s) or did the week of practice give you all you needed to know for the draft?"

Chris (FinHeaven)
"Would you move up in the first round if you felt you needed to in order to get the player you really want?"

CK (FinHeaven)
"What did you think about Phil Rivers' performance at the Senior Bowl game? Do you think he proved himself to be a true first rounder?"

Back
Top Bottom