QB controversy | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

QB controversy

Well I dunno about that. What did he have, one mini-camp before now? Obviously the guy has some kinks to work out. Which do you think would be more indicative of Brian Griese's viability at QB for this team...stinking up your first 4 days of training camp or lighting up your last 4 days of training camp? I don't think Jay is feeling very challenged right now, but if Brian picks things up by the end he ought to feel a little uneasy.

Because he ought to know that if he's a little banged up during the season, goes out there and as a result tosses a duck that gets easily picked off...this time around he's probably coming out of the game until the coaches know he's healthy.

Not a chance he'll be starting with a torn rotator cuff again. You can bet on that.

There were good reports from some posters here who attended training camps last season. Fiedler was recovering from hip surgery and didn't practice with the team until one day before the 1st preseason game. Lucas had the advantage of being the 1st team QB through the 1st few days of training camp until Fiedler returned. I seem to remember it being reported here that Lucas did not impress Norv Turner during training camp and that unless he showed a lot of improvement through the preseason, he was in danger of being cut. Fiedler, having not thrown a football for nearly 2 months before the day preceding the 1st preseason game, and working on a brand new offensive scheme, struggled during the preseason, while Lucas looked pretty good throwing mostly short passes against 2nd and 3rd team defenses. I don't remember Lucas even attempting a pass longer than 20yds during preseason last year. McMiachael really helped Lucas out in the game against New Orleans, when with the final seconds of the half clicking down, Lucas hit him with a short pass from about the 15 that McMichael took the rest of the way on his own, hurdling over 2 Saint defenders to get into the endzone for a TD. Lucas was also hooking up with Baker pretty well during preseason. But the long ball just didn't exist, Lucas could not adjust the touch on his passes, (they always came hard and fast no matter how close the receiver was), and Lucas at times had trouble handling the football just dropping back or handing off. But the fact that he was able to lead a few scoring drives against some scrub defenses was enough for the Fiedler haters to declare that Lucas deserved to start when the real season began.

Griese is almost in the same situation this season as Fiedler was last year. Fiedler spent the minicamps last season learning a new offense, then had hip surgery and missed the beginning of training camp, and he struggled when he returned just before the 1st preseason game. Griese had offseason shoulder surgery this season and didn't throw a football until he was signed by Miami. He's learning a new offense as well. He should be well behind Fiedler, and he is. There will be no QB controversy in Miami this season, unless it's between Griese and Sage for the backup spot.

RAY LUCAS!?

WHY IN THE WORLD IS ANYONE STILL THINKING ABOUT RAY LUCAS?!:huh:

:jetssuck:

:surf:

Re: Re: Re: QB controversy

Originally posted by Oliver

Jay/anyotherQB has been a heated debate since 2000. Some ppl just want Jay gone, no matter if that QB is better or not. That's the conclusion I've come to over these 3-years.

Oliver...

Jays only real problem has been coming in after Marino.

Re: RAY LUCAS!?

Originally posted by JAKE91
WHY IN THE WORLD IS ANYONE STILL THINKING ABOUT RAY LUCAS?!:huh:

:jetssuck:

:surf:

Its not so much we are hanging onto Lucas.. or anything of the like.. I asked my original question more for a comparison basis..

Two years ago, I thot Wanny was nuts to stand behind Jay.. I exploded when I heard of the multi-million dollar contract awarded to Jay.. I supported all the Jay boo's and I was very vocal about starting Ray last year..

Needless to say, Lucas's performance last year shut me up.. very quickly. Then this year, Griese signed with the team..

It opened my eyes to the possibilities of a better QB is now on the team and maybe.... He will take the starting job from Feidler..

But.. because of all the inside information and the TC reports that other members have posted here at Finheaven... IT CLEARLY SHOWS JAY IS THE BEST STARTING QB FOR THE TEAM...

Originally posted by zachseau13

Yes, can you believe it?

I feel bad for the guy. He seems like a really nice guy in all of the interviews. He took the blame and stood up like a man.

I hope someone would give him a shot, just not us :D

Jeep,

I still don't get the logic behind booing oue own QB. You keep refering to the fact that Lucas' play shut you up, I think that Jay's play was enough to shut you up.

Jay is not a great quarterback, but if you see how he was playing before he got hurt last season, it was as well as could ever be expected of any QB. Nothing has been handed over to him. He's had to fight the Marino Ghost, and then Huard being endorsed by Marino.....the Lucas thing.....the booing.

Despite that, in the 01 season, Jay (I am pretty sure of this stat but don't kill me if I am not) scored the most 4th quarter TDs in the league. And if you compare his record to most QBs in the league, you will see how he is not just a mediocre player.

This guy is smart, and when given the tools can make things happen. He has one more year under this O and will light it up this coming season. I can't wait for that to happen.

The sad thing is, that if one game the guy throws a couple of picks, there will be a bunch of people like you booing him. Booing our team.....In our HOME. Do you not think that plays with the minds of our players (not only the QB) and gives a booster to the visiting team. Not to get on you Jeep, but I am embarrassed when I hear all the booing in our own field. Peace.

Originally posted by ckparrothead

Actually the way I remember it the whole Ray/Jay thing didn't start until preseason when Ray Lucas really looked good and Jay looked limited (especially since he was injured). I don't remember hearin many people call for Lucas to start until the first preseason game.

One other factor that carried significant weight in support of Lucas at that time was his very successful record stepping in for Testaverde in NY a few years earlier. Combining that with what looked like a good preseason (at least statistically, and yes, against second team units), and then weighing it against Fiedler's shakiness (was it inherent or injury-related?) made Lucas look like an option.

If you're looking for confessions, yeah, I'll admit having more confidence in Lucas' ability to step up than I ever should have. Me and the rest of the Western world. lol I wasn't one who said "bench Fiedler, start Lucas", though. In fact, most of the anti-Jay comment was more about bringing in someone better or "we shoulda drafted Drew Brees" as opposed to declaring Ray Lucas the solution to our QB problems.

[No disagreement here with your post, CK, -- it was just the best place I could find to fit this in.:)]

Last edited by a moderator:
Since Jay was signed it was "any QB is better" than Jay. Those hardcore fans never got over their "DMT" (Dan Marino Trauma) or got help for their "PMS" (Post Marino Syndrom).

I predicted a couple years back that no matter how successfull the Phins will be with Jay at QB it will never be good enough. Jay will be scrutinized even if we win the superbowl.

The sorry part is: that most of those are rooting for Jay to fail, the Dolphins to lose just to be right and make a case. As much as I "disliked" Ray after the first Buffalo game I rooted so hard for the guy because a Dolphins win always comes before my personal like or dislike for players.

Originally posted by PhinKev

I feel bad for the guy. He seems like a really nice guy in all of the interviews. He took the blame and stood up like a man.

I hope someone would give him a shot, just not us :D

Yeah and the crying...and the "suicidal watch".....I haven't forgotten that.

Re: Re: RAY LUCAS!?

Originally posted by Jeep

Its not so much we are hanging onto Lucas.. or anything of the like.. I asked my original question more for a comparison basis..

Two years ago, I thot Wanny was nuts to stand behind Jay.. I exploded when I heard of the multi-million dollar contract awarded to Jay.. I supported all the Jay boo's and I was very vocal about starting Ray last year..

Needless to say, Lucas's performance last year shut me up.. very quickly. Then this year, Griese signed with the team..

It opened my eyes to the possibilities of a better QB is now on the team and maybe.... He will take the starting job from Feidler..

But.. because of all the inside information and the TC reports that other members have posted here at Finheaven... IT CLEARLY SHOWS JAY IS THE BEST STARTING QB FOR THE TEAM...

The funny part though is...the boos occured before his "big" contract. It was his first year (especially) the first game against the Seahawks where the majority of boos occured. It was clearly directed at Jay at that very moment because he put his 1st four passes into the dirt. There were 4 more occasions where boos occured. In the same season (2000) against Tampa at home which might have been directed at Jay. In the 2000 playoffs against the Colts but only in the 1st half which was directed against the entire offense. In 2001 vs the Jets which was directed at the entire team and in the playoffs against the Ravens which was directed at the team as well. The occasional booer (which is in the minority) is quickly being shut up by the rest of the crowd. It is just made to something bigger than it is. Much like when the report came out that "the crowd chanted 'Griese-Griese' when Jay had his autograp session". Eyewitness reports clearly said that a handful of fans screamed "Griese-Griese" out of a crowd of 300.

I live in a community which is bleeding aqua and orange. Out of 300 homes in the gated community at least half of them are season tix holder in one way or another. The topic here is Dolphins almost entirely. I have yet to find one person who does not support Jay. I switch season tix seats throughout the year and it is really slim picking for the true "Jay hater" in the crowd itself. Those we call "Jay haters" hardly go to the games even if they live in the south Florida area.

Back
Top Bottom