QB heavy offseason | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

QB heavy offseason

BahamaFinFan78

Active Roster
Reaction score
Not here to argue about Tannehill's place with the team. Been done enough and suffice it to say I believe he is our starting QB next season like it or not. I was thinking that there are a lot of QBs on the market between trades free agency and the draft. How dones that play into us finding a decent #2 for this season?

Well I think we proved two things this past season:

1. Ryan Tannehill is good, and far better than anyone else we'll get in the next few years.
2. If we don't have a good QB, stick in a fork in us, because we're done.

I wouldn't stress too much about the backup QB, nor would I feel confident in any of the current draft prospects. If Gase is going to stay in Miami, he's going to win with Tannehill. Anyone who thinks he is looking for a QB is sorely mistaken. Any QB that isn't purely a backup is going to piss Gase off, and cause a major rift between him and the front office.

So, while I could easily be wrong, I will be shocked if we add any QB with real potential this offseason. We're not drafting one, though we'll feint as though we are to drive up the trade price of our pick. And, it gets fans interested when they think they might get a new QB. But when the dust settles, I'll be very surprised if we bring in anyone with long-term potential or any challengers to Tannehill. When you have 2 QB's ... you have none.

We have to have a backup of some form. Where do you think he comes from?

1. Ryan Tannehill is good, and far better than anyone else we'll get in the next few years.

I wouldn't stress too much about the backup QB, nor would I feel confident in any of the current draft prospects. If Gase is going to stay in Miami, he's going to win with Tannehill. Anyone who thinks he is looking for a QB is sorely mistaken. Any QB that isn't purely a backup is going to piss Gase off, and cause a major rift between him and the front office.

So, while I could easily be wrong, I will be shocked if we add any QB with real potential this offseason. We're not drafting one, though we'll feint as though we are to drive up the trade price of our pick. And, it gets fans interested when they think they might get a new QB. But when the dust settles, I'll be very surprised if we bring in anyone with long-term potential or any challengers to Tannehill. When you have 2 QB's ... you have none.
for some reason I believe you may be right about gase. I do not trust him drafting a QB for us at all. He will probably be fired in 2yr. If he doesn't change his ways. Gase is to stuck on his players he have history w. If qb fall to us we are fool not take one in first Rd. Miami playing waste time game w thill17. I also questions Ross about how serious they are about winning superbowl or they are happy just won 6 to 8 game a yr. Every position on this team need competition period.

for some reason I believe you may be right about gase. I do not trust him drafting a QB for us at all. He will probably be fired in 2yr. If he doesn't change his ways. Gase is to stuck on his players he have history w. If qb fall to us we are fool not take one in first Rd. Miami playing waste time game w thill17. I also questions Ross about how serious they are about winning superbowl or they are happy just won 6 to 8 game a yr. Every position on this team need competition period.
Maybe, but he coaxed a good run out of Tannehill in his first season. Once over that 5 game learning hump, the team really responded.

Considering we've seen the development of talent such as X. Howard, Tankersley, even Lippett showed improvement in the pre-season before his injury. TJ McDonald for a whole season ... our secondary should be improved. Charles Harris has flashed, McMillan returns from injury, we had some non-sucky DT play on occasion from someone other than Suh. William Hayes was even pretty solid before his injury. Our defense should be a bit better this year, IMHO.

And the offense really hummed after that initial learning curve. We weren't a great team, but a hell of a lot better than this past season.

And, Gase has shown an uncanny ability to win with smoke and mirrors. In neither season did our performance merit our record. So from a coaching standpoint ... I think he's done some good things. Regardless, he did get offensive improvement out of a Tannehill led offense. Gase's thing is to show incredible support for his QB. Bringing in competition at the QB position would undermine that. So, I'm expecting him to stick with Tannehill. Let's just hope he brings out the best in Tannehill and the team.

Maybe, but he coaxed ua good run out of Tannehill in his first season. Once over that 5 game learning hump, the team really responded.

Considering we've seen the development of talent such as X. Howard, Tankersley, even Lippett showed improvement in the pre-season before his injury. TJ McDonald for a whole season ... our secondary should be improved. Charles Harris has flashed, McMillan returns from injury, we had some non-sucky DT play on occasion from someone other than Suh. William Hayes was even pretty solid before his injury. Our defense should be a bit better this year, IMHO.

And the offense really hummed after that initial learning curve. We weren't a great team, but a hell of a lot better than this past season.

And, Gase has shown an uncanny ability to win with smoke and mirrors. In neither season did our performance merit our record. So from a coaching standpoint ... I think he's done some good things. Regardless, he did get offensive improvement out of a Tannehill led offense. Gase's thing is to show incredible support for his QB. Bringing in competition at the QB position would undermine that. So, I'm expecting him to stick with Tannehill. Let's just hope he brings out the best in Tannehill and the team.
I don't care if thill17 is starter or not I feel he need competition. The best QB will win job any way. Thill17 can not continue to win 6 to 8 game yr. IF tyrod can get bills to playoff. With no help from bills front office thill17 should at least get dolphins to wild card. Right now dolpins fight for second place with bills jets, and wild card team like jag.bal.ten sandiego.kc, oak hou

Last edited:
Kirk Cousins will have a big impact on the draft obviously.

Right now im rooting for him to sign with Arizona followed by Buffalo, id prefer to see as many teams as possible in need of a QB drafting before 11.

I am not worried about Buffalo.

If Arizona misses out on Kirk they also remain in play for a trade down with us. Definitely going to be an interesting lead up to April 26th.

I for one would be disappointed if wr didn't add a qb with potential. I don't think we should be so loyal to any player that the coach decides to not even add competent competition as has been suggested

Then what is the plan if RT goes down with an injury in 2018? The Fins need to address backup QB.

Doughty was a major disappointment in preseason last year but we kept him on the PS all season. I wonder what we're going to do with him as Dan Marino himself said to pick him

Back
Top Bottom