QB overview: Now posted in main forum by request | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

QB overview: Now posted in main forum by request

Jaj

What you say?
Reaction score
Draft Article 3: QB overview: Now posted in main forum by request

Draft Article 3: QB Overview quote:

Well this is a run on every reasonable QB available to start for Miami in 2004. My preference is not order. It is actually spoken about at the bottom of the article.

Jay Fiedler- With a decent OL and 2 good WRs may have early 2002 numbers, but I doubt it. He is not the same Jay Fiedler of 2001 and early 2002. Gets his receivers nailed very often. Chambers already has a couple head injuries because of him. Second there are better options. He is injury prone, maybe a backup if he re-structures, but I truly cannot see him as a starter for the Dolphins in 2004.

Brian Griese- With a good OL and a second WR, he could possibly shine here. Although I think that the current Michigan QB John Navarre is the same as him, so if a third rounder is the same as him what is the point???

Sage Rosenfels- Has loads of talent, an arm, scrambling ability, size, leadership skills he showed in bowl games, and work ethic. He is worth giving a shot in training camp. He is an RFA so no worries.

Peyton Manning- Expensive as hell. Would be THE ANSWER, but I don't know if Miami can afford atleast 12m his first year although the cap figures I have heard say it is possible.

Mark Brunell- Probably my favorite option. Can still scramble and has put up good stats with a poor poor offense. Leftwich is starting because he is their future not because he outplayed Brunell. Good for two years and then a good backup for us.

Tim Couch- Possible trade of a 2005 second rounder. Young still, good pocket passer who has gotten the raw deal in Cleveland.

Drew Henson- Talented pocket passer that can move. Basically a polished version of Andrew Walter ASU QB. Could possibly start if traded for and the whole baseball thing settled. His price tag may go up and he may just entirely enter the draft once again, but you can be sure he will not be a sixth round pick again.

Brad Johnson- Another possibility to be cut. He is not that durable. Is accurate yes, but downright horrible when he is under pressure. With a decent OL he was very accurate at the end of the 2002 season. Another one of the pocket passing possiblities.

Kerry Collins- Some similarities to Drew Bledsoe, although I prefer Bledsoe over him. One of the many good OL, 2 WR, can be serviceable QBs. Can stand a beating like few other QBs.

Kurt Warner- When healthy easily the best option. Aging, but he has had a full season to heal and with a good OL would light up the league again.

Drew Bledsoe- Heard rumors about him being gone. Still a good pocket passer. But Warner is a better option as is Couch or Brunell.

Jeff Garcia- Seems unlikely he will be cut with his recent performances, but possible still. Could run a west coast offense if we try for that but hey so can Mark Brunell.

Anthony Wright-Put up some good performances, but I would not trust him to be a starter.

Chris Redman- Brian Griese, two years younger.

Doug Johnson- Struggled this season, but I still think he is a decent QB. His problem was always consistency in college and that problem still exists.

Now for the draft.

Eli Manning, Ole Miss.- Automatic starter. If Miami could get him by trading up with two first rounders that would be fine with me. Top 10.

Ben Roethlisberger, Miami(OH)- Same. Has more upside than Manning(physically) but a little more raw. Top 10.

J.P. Losman, Tulane- Mobile, fast release, arm. Brett Favre version 2. Needs atleast a year on the bench. Late 1st.

Phillip Rivers, N.C. State- The guy so many are intrigued by. Crazy mechanics, but that is ok as others have done it before. His arm looked to be about the strength of Tom Brady's in his Bowl Game which is enough. Needs to step into his passes. With his recent performance he is borderline 1st-2nd rounder at this point.

John Navarre, Michigan- Young version of Brian Griese. A capable pocket passer. 3rd rounder.

Jeff Smoker, Michigan St.- John Navarre with off-field problems.
5th rounder.

Rod Rutherford, Pittsburgh- Good arm, mobile, lefty. Better than you would think. Possible QB for the fourth round.

Josh Harris, Bowling Green- Very talented. Needs to time to adjust to the NFL. A good two years. 3rd round

Cody Pickett, Washington- Pocket passer that struggled this season. Has some athleticism and a good, but not great arm. Shows good touch. Reminds me of Chad Pennington somewhat.

My preffered way of action. Make an offer to Manning, if that fails make one for Couch, and if that fails based on what kind of OL we have choose either Warner or Brunell.

Draft Josh Harris or Rod Rutheford and groom them.

Hey Brunell+Harris is cheap and could work.

Next article RB+FB.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen Losman mentioned a few times as possible draft choice (along with WR and OL) and I like Brunell the best out there. I'd rather go with someone at the top right now that can allow us to groom our future QB. I also really want to see Sage. He was extremely impressive during preseason and came in to help us avoid being shut out this year. He was awesome in a quick drive down the field.

However, I like getting Brunell and drafting a WR or OL in the first and allow Sage the opportunity to back up. I think he could do better then Griese.

Remember what supporting cast Losman had as well. Virtually ever play he got hit.

good stuff, i like brunell too, i'm a little sceptic going with a college qb with this veteran team

Good read. We're definitely not getting Peyton though. The Colts will slap the franchise tag on him.

I thought that too, but if they franchise him they have to pay a whopping 18.3m! They are up to their chin against the cap as well, plus have less flexibility at getting rid of that cap than us. It's unlikely, but it is possible.

Originally posted by Jaj
I thought that too, but if they franchise him they have to pay a whopping 18.3m! They are up to their chin against the cap as well, plus have less flexibility at getting rid of that cap than us. It's unlikely, but it is possible.

The Colts will do whatever it takes. There's no way in hell that guy leaves Indy. If he does, the whole FO needs to be fired. They will bend over backwards and do backflips, sacrifice some goats, whatever they have to do. :lol:

I would have liked to see what Son of Bob could've done behind a decent OL though.

If anyone has any other QB possibilities please post them.

Seems the trend is that there are a load of available pocket passers that can succeed with Chambers and another WR and a good OL. I will do that in my third and fifth position overview respectively.

I hope this helped you guys out. I am suprised the media only covered maybe six or so options in all draft and FA.

Valid points on alot of QB's however i am assuming you think that the FO of the dolphins wants to win asap...and doesnt really want to plan for the future. Now that being said..they have tried to win ASAP for about 5 years now, with free agency etc...not even caring about the draft, it looked to me like it was just something for the dolphins to do...what happened to drafting for needs? An o-line man? a QB? Another WR to compliment the outstanding Chambers? Jeez...the phins have had the worst draft for years. I think they need to take a few steps...im a huge fan of the draft so keep that in mind guys...we trade up and get a qb in the first round...low first round...either Manning or Roesthlis. Id prefer Ben because of the physical traits and limitless potential this guy has....however not enough can be said about intangibles
which Eli has in bunches, and if we are talking intangibles we gotten mention Rivers. I know his mechanics are odd but man the guy is a leader period. Now the draft aside free agency which im not fond of because recycled QB's rarely get anywhere. Ive always liked Couch and he did get a bum rap in cleveland, but i dont know how good he'd be here. Brunell is a nice option but hes gettin older faster than i thought and i dont want a guy here for 2 years and then retire. And as for Peyton...lol...keep dreaming theyll do anythign to keep him there.....anything. Allright guys..just my 2 cents...later

First of all I will get to WRs in my next few articles. Secondly what???

I outlined all of those QBs for you. I still can't understand what you are saying though. So you are saying get a top QB and toss him into the fray. I could only see the Dolphin FO doing that with Manning.

Your assumption is off.

Even if we get an older QB such as Brunell I said at the bottom which QB we could groom to replace him.

Good information and a great post Jai.

I would like to see Brunnel, though I prefer Couch if the Finz improve the OL, I would even like Henson over Brunnel. We still would need to draft a QB in the first round Rivers, or Roethlisberger...

But OL needs to be second priority after QB (if QB is taken care in the FA).

Again nice post and good opinions stated Jai.

GOOO FIIINZ

:cooldude:

Second of all...relax....Thats my opinion....forgive me for not completing the entire article i didnt think youd take it so seriously.. Str8 out..i think they need to draft a QB first round..and groom him...let Sage and Fiedler do what they can to help the team..Jay is the obvious starter so you stay with him until the time is right i guess, or let them compete in training camp. The receiver issue which i forgot to add on to we can fix in another round. Unfortunatly we dont have a second round pick , but who knows what can be done, thats why they have GM's and presidents, and head coachs to make those decisions.Off. Linemen are something that can be fixed with free agency, like i said i am a big fan of the draft...but some needs liek o-line and others can be fixed other ways. And for you...i suggest serenity now...3..2..1...1..2..3.....=)

Back
Top Bottom