QBs....Hit or Miss??? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

QBs....Hit or Miss???

FinaticalOne

DieHard FinFan 4 Life
Reaction score
I've done some research on the past drafts to see what kind of QBs we passed on in the drafts. In my opinion, there wasn't that many keepers to begin with; but we did miss out on a few. Here are the draft results from 1999-2004 Check it out:

No 1rst rd. pick
2-Shaun king, we picked James Johnson before him
3-Brock Huard, we picked Grey Reugamer before him

1-No 1rst rd. pick
2-No QBs were drafted
3-No QBs were drafted after our pick
4-Tee Martin, we picked Arturo Freeman ahead of him
6-Marc Bulger, we picked DT Ernest Grant a pick ahead of him
6-Spergon Wynn, we picked Ernest Grant
6-Tom Brady, we picked Ernest Grant
6-Todd Husak
6-JuJuan Seider
7-Joe Hamilton, we picked Jeff Harris two picks before him

2-Drew Brees, we took Jamar Fletcher with our late first rd. pick
2-Quincy Carter, we took Chris Chambers one pick ahead of him
2-Marques Tuiasosopo

1-No first rd. pick, but we could’ve had Patrick Ramsey if we did
2-No second rd pick, no QB drafted in the second rd.
3-No qbs drafted in the third rd.
4-Rohan Davey, we picked Randy McMicheal 3 picks before him.
5-Brandon Dolman
5-Craig Nall
6-No sixth rd pick, Steve Bellasari went in this rd.

1-No first rd. pick
2-No qbs drafted after we pick Eddie Moore
3-Dave Ragone, we picked Taylor Whitley one pick before
3-Chris Simms, we picked Taylor Whitley 10 picks before
4-No fourth rd. pick, but Senecca Wallace was drafted in this rd.
5-Brian St. Pierre, we picked Donald Lee 7 picks before him.
6-Brooks Bollinger and Kliff Klingsbury, we drafted Corey Jenkins ahead of them
7-No Qbs drafted

1-JP Losman, we picked Vernon Carey 3 picks before
2-No second rd. pick
3-No third rd. pick
4-Luke McCown, we picked Will Poole 4 picks ahead
5-No picks
6-Josh Harris, we picked Rex Hadnot
6-Jim Sorgi, we picked Rex Hadnot
6-Matt Mauck, BJ Symons, Bradlee Van Pelt, we drafted Tony Pape, and Derrick Pope

Our best chances were in the 2000 and 2001 draft to draft a playoff caliber QB. We picked Ernest Grant in the sixth round when we had the chance to draft Marc Bulger or Tom Brady. This one is complete hindsight; who would've thought that two 6th rd. QBs would put up the type of #s that they've been doing? Not me.

:confused: This is the one that really baffles me the most, and you don't need hindsight to judge this pick, because in my opinion; this one should've been a no-brainer. I know everyone knows the Jamar Fletcher pick will forever haunt us, knowing we could've had Drew Brees instead. To me this one had to be the dumbest draft decision in Dolphin history. We already had the #1 cornerback tandem in the NFL. Patrick Surtain and Sam Madison were in their prime at that time. With 75% of our salary cap devoted to the defensive side of the ball; and everyone knew we needed a QB desperately, except Wanny :mad: and he picks a cornerback with our late first round pick. :fire: How stupid can you be!!!!

I also highlighted Phil Simms just because Taylor Whitley was a complete bum that my baby sister could bull rush. Another waste of a draft pick, and I think Simms is still iffy, but he would've been a good project. Anyone but Whitley :mad:.

I don't think there was that much talent at the QB position during these years, so this goes to show that acquiring a QB; whether in the draft or through free agency is very, very tricky. We may be better off trading picks to acquire one that has performed well in the NFL and with more experience could become a quality QB. So what do you guys think could be our best strategies?

Interesting indeed....

Passing on Brees was foolish. We already had one of the NFL's top ranked secondaries, and Fletcher sucked to boot....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

Nice post.Its a no brainer that Fletcher should never have been drafted. Brees yes but he wasnt a gimme at the start of his career.High picked QB's at NFL level are not guaranteed to be a success. But it does give you more of a chance to get success. Im really hoping Crouch may come through as a back up and we draft a young franchise QB. If that fails im on the Carr bandwagon if and i say if we can get him. Capers to come here with him as well would be nice.

FinaticalOne said:
I've done some research on the past drafts to see what kind of QBs we passed on in the drafts. In my opinion, there wasn't that many keepers to begin with; but we did miss out on a few. Here are the draft results from 1999-2004 Check it out:

No 1rst rd. pick
2-Shaun king, we picked James Johnson before him
3-Brock Huard, we picked Grey Reugamer before him

1-No 1rst rd. pick
2-No QBs were drafted
3-No QBs were drafted after our pick
4-Tee Martin, we picked Arturo Freeman ahead of him
6-Marc Bulger, we picked DT Ernest Grant a pick ahead of him
6-Spergon Wynn, we picked Ernest Grant
6-Tom Brady, we picked Ernest Grant
6-Todd Husak
6-JuJuan Seider
7-Joe Hamilton, we picked Jeff Harris two picks before him

2-Drew Brees, we took Jamar Fletcher with our late first rd. pick
2-Quincy Carter, we took Chris Chambers one pick ahead of him
2-Marques Tuiasosopo

1-No first rd. pick, but we could’ve had Patrick Ramsey if we did
2-No second rd pick, no QB drafted in the second rd.
3-No qbs drafted in the third rd.
4-Rohan Davey, we picked Randy McMicheal 3 picks before him.
5-Brandon Dolman
5-Craig Nall
6-No sixth rd pick, Steve Bellasari went in this rd.

1-No first rd. pick
2-No qbs drafted after we pick Eddie Moore
3-Dave Ragone, we picked Taylor Whitley one pick before
3-Phil Simms, we picked Taylor Whitley 10 picks before
4-No fourth rd. pick, but Senecca Wallace was drafted in this rd.
5-Brian St. Pierre, we picked Donald Lee 7 picks before him.
6-Brooks Bollinger and Kliff Klingsbury, we drafted Corey Jenkins ahead of them
7-No Qbs drafted

1-JP Losman, we picked Vernon Carey 3 picks before
2-No second rd. pick
3-No third rd. pick
4-Luke McCown, we picked Will Poole 4 picks ahead
5-No picks
6-Josh Harris, we picked Rex Hadnot
6-Jim Sorgi, we picked Rex Hadnot
6-Matt Mauck, BJ Symons, Bradlee Van Pelt, we drafted Tony Pape, and Derrick Pope

Our best chances were in the 2000 and 2001 draft to draft a playoff caliber QB. We picked Ernest Grant in the sixth round when we had the chance to draft Marc Bulger or Tom Brady. This one is complete hindsight; who would've thought that two 6th rd. QBs would put up the type of #s that they've been doing? Not me.

:confused: This is the one that really baffles me the most, and you don't need hindsight to judge this pick, because in my opinion; this one should've been a no-brainer. I know everyone knows the Jamar Fletcher pick will forever haunt us, knowing we could've had Drew Brees instead. To me this one had to be the dumbest draft decision in Dolphin history. We already had the #1 cornerback tandem in the NFL. Patrick Surtain and Sam Madison were in their prime at that time. With 75% of our salary cap devoted to the defensive side of the ball; and everyone knew we needed a QB desperately, except Wanny :mad: and he picks a cornerback with our late first round pick. :fire: How stupid can you be!!!!

I also highlighted Phil Simms just because Taylor Whitley was a complete bum that my baby sister could bull rush. Another waste of a draft pick, and I think Simms is still iffy, but he would've been a good project. Anyone but Whitley :mad:.

I don't think there was that much talent at the QB position during these years, so this goes to show that acquiring a QB; whether in the draft or through free agency is very, very tricky. We may be better off trading picks to acquire one that has performed well in the NFL and with more experience could become a quality QB. So what do you guys think could be our best strategies?

That's football. Let us never forget that nearly every team passed up on Dan marino, and that 5 QB's were picked before him :)

FinaticalOne said:
To me this one had to be the dumbest draft decision in Dolphin history. We already had the #1 cornerback tandem in the NFL. Patrick Surtain and Sam Madison were in their prime at that time. With 75% of our salary cap devoted to the defensive side of the ball; and everyone knew we needed a QB desperately, except Wanny :mad: and he picks a cornerback with our late first round pick. :fire: How stupid can you be!!!!

First, thanks for putting all the effort into presenting in clear form just how risky QB picks can be.

However, your comment regarding Fletcher ignores the reality of what we were facing on the field. The season prior to that draft, NYJ, Buff, Patsies and other teams had learned to beat us by going 4 / even 5 wide against us. A top-flight CB was a NEED for us at that time, and with the idea that it would provide us protection in FA further down the road when Surtain / Madison moved on. The fact that Fletcher was a grade A bust is beside the point. The choice of CB made a lot of sense at the time.

I thought Phil Simms retired a long time ago and now works for CBS???

I think you mean Chris Simms............lol

steveincolorado said:

DAMN you beat me to it.. :dolphins:

steveincolorado said:

:lol: you're right. I'll make the correction.

nice research, i do notice on some of those such as chambers and mcmike im glad we took them instead of the qbs, theyve turned out to be tremendously productive for us

Agua said:
First, thanks for putting all the effort into presenting in clear form just how risky QB picks can be.

However, your comment regarding Fletcher ignores the reality of what we were facing on the field. The season prior to that draft, NYJ, Buff, Patsies and other teams had learned to beat us by going 4 / even 5 wide against us. A top-flight CB was a NEED for us at that time, and with the idea that it would provide us protection in FA further down the road when Surtain / Madison moved on. The fact that Fletcher was a grade A bust is beside the point. The choice of CB made a lot of sense at the time.

That is a very good point. I completly forgot about that. It is a logical reason, but I think it was one that could've been addressed in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th. My point is there was only one quality QB left to pick when it was our turn in the first round, and the CB position was very deep that year. I would've taken the last quality QB first, and hoped one of the other DB's fall to me in the second or third round. We were criticized for taking Fletcher this early, because they believed he was projected to go in the second rd. Guys like Ken Lucas, Fred Smoot went in the second, and Anthony Henry went in the third. The "catch 22" with choosing a CB in the second; we would've missed out on Chris Chambers; unless we decided to go CB in the third.

You're point is a valid point.

FinsAreLife said:
nice research, i do notice on some of those such as chambers and mcmike im glad we took them instead of the qbs, theyve turned out to be tremendously productive for us

Yeah, I agree too.

I would have to take Drew Brees over Chris Chambers.

Jamar Fletcher - Chris Chambers
Drew Brees - Fred Smoot

Gimme option B please.

Whitedolphin54 said:
That's football. Let us never forget that nearly every team passed up on Dan marino, and that 5 QB's were picked before him :)

Many teams pass on players but few teams have ignored the QB position to the extent we have and we have not attempted to use the draft to improve the most important position on the team.

The logic behind the Fletcher pick was just as flawed as paying big money for Reggie Howard. You don't draft nickelbacks in the first round or pay them in excess of 3 million. Thats just plain stupid. Brees was the obvious pick but we went by the absurd notion that a rookie QB will not help the team short term and therefore its not worth it to draft him. Every draft is about more than that year. If you draft with the intent of the player being able to immediately help than most of the time you will be wrong. Most rookies struggle to some degree. Wanny was an idiot to ignore the obvious need to upgrade QB and I don't see Saban ignoring the position in the offseason and thinking we can go far with Gus.

FinaticalOne said:
I know everyone knows the Jamar Fletcher pick will forever haunt us, knowing we could've had Drew Brees instead. To me this one had to be the dumbest draft decision in Dolphin history. We already had the #1 cornerback tandem in the NFL.QUOTE]

Good post but the dumbest draft decision in Dolphin history was drafting Kareem Abdul-Jabbar over Randy "Freakin" Moss... and also drafting Yatil Green... Thank God Nick knows how to draft and how important it is... a bright future I see for us, with Nick at the helm of the aqua and orange office.:dolphins:

illscriptures said:
FinaticalOne said:
I know everyone knows the Jamar Fletcher pick will forever haunt us, knowing we could've had Drew Brees instead. To me this one had to be the dumbest draft decision in Dolphin history. We already had the #1 cornerback tandem in the NFL.QUOTE]

Good post but the dumbest draft decision in Dolphin history was drafting Kareem Abdul-Jabbar over Randy "Freakin" Moss... and also drafting Yatil Green... Thank God Nick knows how to draft and how important it is... a bright future I see for us, with Nick at the helm of the aqua and orange office.:dolphins:

Randy Moss was a first round pick that was drafted the year we took Avery. we traded down and our pick was used by GB to take Vonnie Holliday.

Back
Top Bottom