QBs....Hit or Miss??? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

QBs....Hit or Miss???

dlockz said:
The logic behind the Fletcher pick was just as flawed as paying big money for Reggie Howard. You don't draft nickelbacks in the first round or pay them in excess of 3 million. Thats just plain stupid.

When you're hoping for the guy to be your best development shot at another pro-bowl CB for the future, no, it is not stupid, as you suggest.

dlockz said:
illscriptures said:
Randy Moss was a first round pick that was drafted the year we took Avery. we traded down and our pick was used by GB to take Vonnie Holliday.

Sorry mistaken player... but nonetheless passing up Moss was still a very big mistake. I know why they did it... that whole "risk" thing but think of the possibilities.

Great research... Anyone else notice how many of those years we did not have a first rounder??? WOW. :eek: No one can argue that this franchise has been careless with picks...

Agua said:
When you're hoping for the guy to be your best development shot at another pro-bowl CB for the future, no, it is not stupid, as you suggest.

stupid when we have two fairly young Cb's and have much more glaring needs like QB and Oline. Very stupid when you pass on a QB this late in first round. These kind of decisions have set our franchise back for years.

dlockz said:
Many teams pass on players but few teams have ignored the QB position to the extent we have and we have not attempted to use the draft to improve the most important position on the team.

The logic behind the Fletcher pick was just as flawed as paying big money for Reggie Howard. You don't draft nickelbacks in the first round or pay them in excess of 3 million. Thats just plain stupid. Brees was the obvious pick but we went by the absurd notion that a rookie QB will not help the team short term and therefore its not worth it to draft him. Every draft is about more than that year. If you draft with the intent of the player being able to immediately help than most of the time you will be wrong. Most rookies struggle to some degree. Wanny was an idiot to ignore the obvious need to upgrade QB and I don't see Saban ignoring the position in the offseason and thinking we can go far with Gus.

I have to agree that the decision to pick fletcher beggars belief :(

Interesting, nice job on the research. Wanny definately blew it for us there, a terrible pick indeed.

dlockz said:
stupid when we have two fairly young Cb's and have much more glaring needs like QB and Oline. Very stupid when you pass on a QB this late in first round. These kind of decisions have set our franchise back for years.

You're entitled to your opinion, but it wasn't as if it was something just drawn out of the blue, without logic or reason, when viewed in light of the offenses we were facing and the real likelihood of losing one or both of our pro-bowl CBs.

Wanny and Speilman set us back FIVE YEARS. :mad: :yell: :fire:

FinaticalOne said:
I've done some research on the past drafts to see what kind of QBs we passed on in the drafts. In my opinion, there wasn't that many keepers to begin with; but we did miss out on a few. Here are the draft results from 1999-2004 Check it out:

No 1rst rd. pick
2-Shaun king, we picked James Johnson before him
3-Brock Huard, we picked Grey Reugamer before him

1-No 1rst rd. pick
2-No QBs were drafted
3-No QBs were drafted after our pick
4-Tee Martin, we picked Arturo Freeman ahead of him
6-Marc Bulger, we picked DT Ernest Grant a pick ahead of him
6-Spergon Wynn, we picked Ernest Grant
6-Tom Brady, we picked Ernest Grant
6-Todd Husak
6-JuJuan Seider
7-Joe Hamilton, we picked Jeff Harris two picks before him

2-Drew Brees, we took Jamar Fletcher with our late first rd. pick
2-Quincy Carter, we took Chris Chambers one pick ahead of him
2-Marques Tuiasosopo

1-No first rd. pick, but we could’ve had Patrick Ramsey if we did
2-No second rd pick, no QB drafted in the second rd.
3-No qbs drafted in the third rd.
4-Rohan Davey, we picked Randy McMicheal 3 picks before him.
5-Brandon Dolman
5-Craig Nall
6-No sixth rd pick, Steve Bellasari went in this rd.

1-No first rd. pick
2-No qbs drafted after we pick Eddie Moore
3-Dave Ragone, we picked Taylor Whitley one pick before
3-Chris Simms, we picked Taylor Whitley 10 picks before
4-No fourth rd. pick, but Senecca Wallace was drafted in this rd.
5-Brian St. Pierre, we picked Donald Lee 7 picks before him.
6-Brooks Bollinger and Kliff Klingsbury, we drafted Corey Jenkins ahead of them
7-No Qbs drafted

1-JP Losman, we picked Vernon Carey 3 picks before
2-No second rd. pick
3-No third rd. pick
4-Luke McCown, we picked Will Poole 4 picks ahead
5-No picks
6-Josh Harris, we picked Rex Hadnot
6-Jim Sorgi, we picked Rex Hadnot
6-Matt Mauck, BJ Symons, Bradlee Van Pelt, we drafted Tony Pape, and Derrick Pope

Our best chances were in the 2000 and 2001 draft to draft a playoff caliber QB. We picked Ernest Grant in the sixth round when we had the chance to draft Marc Bulger or Tom Brady. This one is complete hindsight; who would've thought that two 6th rd. QBs would put up the type of #s that they've been doing? Not me.

:confused: This is the one that really baffles me the most, and you don't need hindsight to judge this pick, because in my opinion; this one should've been a no-brainer. I know everyone knows the Jamar Fletcher pick will forever haunt us, knowing we could've had Drew Brees instead. To me this one had to be the dumbest draft decision in Dolphin history. We already had the #1 cornerback tandem in the NFL. Patrick Surtain and Sam Madison were in their prime at that time. With 75% of our salary cap devoted to the defensive side of the ball; and everyone knew we needed a QB desperately, except Wanny :mad: and he picks a cornerback with our late first round pick. :fire: How stupid can you be!!!!

I also highlighted Phil Simms just because Taylor Whitley was a complete bum that my baby sister could bull rush. Another waste of a draft pick, and I think Simms is still iffy, but he would've been a good project. Anyone but Whitley :mad:.

I don't think there was that much talent at the QB position during these years, so this goes to show that acquiring a QB; whether in the draft or through free agency is very, very tricky. We may be better off trading picks to acquire one that has performed well in the NFL and with more experience could become a quality QB. So what do you guys think could be our best strategies?

But what did you really expect? Wannstedt already had his boy in Fiedler! :(

Agua said:
You're entitled to your opinion, but it wasn't as if it was something just drawn out of the blue, without logic or reason, when viewed in light of the offenses we were facing and the real likelihood of losing one or both of our pro-bowl CBs.

I don't disagree with taking a CB in the draft just not using our top pick on him when we were in bad shape at QB much worse shape than we were at CB.
CB is much easier to find in the draft being that we had two guys that were 2nd rounders and currently have a 4th rounder as our starter.

I hated the pick then and cursed my TV profusely and still to this day it was stupid no matter how good Fletcher turned out.

you should have mentioned the first round qbs that went before our pick in teh first round.

Why that? His post was about QBs we passed on, so no need to mention those that we couldn't have taken. I thought it was interesting info.

Whitedolphin54 said:
That's football. Let us never forget that nearly every team passed up on Dan marino, and that 5 QB's were picked before him :)

I can understand Elway and Kelly, but Eason and Blackledge? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

jlfin said:
I can understand Elway and Kelly, but Eason and Blackledge? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

I liked Blackledge alot out of college he seemed to be a nice prospect and eason was not a scrub in college.

Back
Top Bottom