Quality of secondary in comparison to defensive schemes | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Quality of secondary in comparison to defensive schemes

t47c

dolfan way to long
Reaction score
I have been reading over and over the lack of quality in Miami’s secondary this year compared to the last several years. I understand and agree that over the last 4-5 years our secondary has been considered one of the strengths on defense due to our cornerbacks. I also agree that there are some question marks at safety and I think the players signed to date warrant some wait and see evaluation. With the new rules being enforced in the secondary, actually they are not new just being watched more closely and being called more I.E holding and contact past 5 yards. I started to think last year that schemes and deception are more important than individual talent. New England, Carolina and Pittsburgh, over the last 3-4 years have all had outstanding defenses with some talent in their secondary. I think we all can agree that all these teams have good secondary players but that our two cornerbacks were better than these teams 2 starting cornerbacks. All these teams have very elaborate schemes and blitz packages. They all rely on getting to the quarterback and confusion in the QB’s reads. Maybe if our new defense is a little more creative, as it seems to certainly be, with Saban being the coach. Our secondary can actually get by with less individual talent. Then again, we all might be surprised to learn, once the season starts that we have a better secondary than we all thought.

Our old defense required two things: pass rush and shutdown corners. If either of those elements failed on a snap, we could get beat deep easily.

Good post. I hope you're right. I'm not really looking forward to reliving the William Judson and Paul Lankford days. :(

popularwar said:
Our old defense required two things: pass rush and shutdown corners. If either of those elements failed on a snap, we could get beat deep easily.
I understand what the defense needed last year, If you look at the stats it seemed to work. The defense was always at the top of the league in yards against in the pass. The question is will the new defense work with less talent in the secondary.

quality post on a great topic.
If you can consistently pressure/confuse the offense then you won't need outstanding coverage. Also, you hafta know that most INTs don't come from great coverage, but from QB's mistakes, forced or not.

Last year we had trouble getting to the QB quickly.. we Had reserve DTs being eaten up and JT got all the attention in the world. Even with Sam & Pat, if the QB has ample time then he can make something happen. Nick may be a Secondary coach first, but he knows the improtance of the front 7 outwieghs it. ( He stock-piled it with Roth, Crowder, Carter, Holliday, Traylor, Spragan, meanwhile the secondary lost 2 of the 3 top players, even tho I prefer Jones over Knight ) I believe a SS is the most important spot in the 2ndary to Saban.

great post bro but you blew the title. it should have been "quality of the secondary RELATIVE to defensive schemes. come on, get with the program!

thecoordinator said:
great post bro but you blew the title. it should have been "quality of the secondary RELATIVE to defensive schemes. come on, get with the program!
LOL.. oh well.. thanks for the advise...hell I can barely spell defense...:-)

Back
Top Bottom