Quarterback Comparisons for 2020 Draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Quarterback Comparisons for 2020 Draft

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Always fun to look for those comparisons. Some of these are completely my own opinions, some based on what I've read and heard.

Tua -- Steve Young, Russell Wilson
Were talking one Hall of Famer and most likely one future Hall of Famer. I'm not sure Tua is as dynamic as either of these two, but if he comes close that is saying a lot. His athletic ability allows him to buy second and third chances and his accuracy and timing are top-notch. Maybe others can chime in on intangibles. NFL scouts are sure to view him as a potential top 10 caliber quarterback.

Herbert -- Drew Bledsoe
His size and arm strength reminds me of Bledsoe. Might be a little more athletic. There are questions. He hasn't come up big in big games and Oregon quarterbacks haven't fared well in the NFL. I think NFL scouts will look at him as a potential top 10 quarterback.

Fromm -- Kirk Cousins
I really like Fromm, but he doesn't have the athletic ability to buy those second and third chances. I think he may fall between Cousins and Drew Brees, kind of in that range. Could see him being a top 10 quarterback in the right situation like with Sean Payton in New Orleans. I think NFL scouts will view him as a mid-tier quarterback.

Burrow --- Phillip Rivers
I haven't seen a lot of Burrow, but he has a slightly odd throwing motion. Not as dramatic as Rivers, but that's who I instantly thought of watching him play. He is said to be a great leader. I think he's behind the three on this list, but would love to hear some opinions on him.

There are a few others who could sneak into the first round (Love probably), but those look to be the top guys for now.

Herbert -- Drew Bledsoe
His size and arm strength reminds me of Bledsoe. Might be a little more athletic.

Thanks for the serious laugh! Dudsoe's "anti-athletics" were rivaled only by

the soft ball cheater who replaced him! Whatever Herbert is

he's an athlete from an entirely different universe than **** like that!

Also, comparing Tua to the TUFF li'l Badger Russell Wilson is pretty funny as well!

I appreciate your sense of humor!

:lol:

Thanks for the serious laugh! Dudsoe's "anti-athletics" were rivaled only by

the soft ball cheater who replaced him! Whatever Herbert is

he's an athlete from an entirely different universe than **** like that!

Also, comparing Tua to the TUFF li'l Badger Russell Wilson is pretty funny as well!

I appreciate your sense of humor!

The Russell Wilson comparison is something I've heard pretty continuously for Tua. I can see that with his athletic ability and being a tad undersized. Sounds like you aren't a fan of Tua, which is fine. How would you rank the quarterbacks in this class and who do you most want Miami to draft?

I don't actually think you're far off with the Drew Bledsoe comparison for Justin Herbert. But I think Joe Flacco is probably a bit more accurate.

People truly forget that coming out of Delaware, Joe Flacco was a good athlete. He was never elusive. But then, neither is Herbert.
I actually like that one, better! As usual, you are on the mark. What are your thoughts on Fromm? If Miami misses out on drafting #1 overall, who is the next quarterback you would target from this class? Always appreciate your input.

It's between Jake Fromm and Jordan Love, for me...if Tua is out of the picture.

If you're doing what you're supposed to be doing, marrying the player to the system and the coaches, then Jake Fromm is a no-brainer. Truly. And it's not just a system fit thing. I think he's a genuinely good QB prospect that would stack up well with most/all of the prospects of the last couple of years. He's unique in some ways.

But at the same time, if you're looking down the road at the guy that could develop into the finer player at the position, then you have to look at Jordan Love. His issues this year, from what I can see, are not about his being unable to see the field. Nor are they really about accuracy. He lost more in one off season than I've ever seen a QB lose before.

They were a RB-oriented offense in 2018 with Darwin Thompson and Gerold Bright operating a great ground game, but also catching a lot of passes, particularly screens and whatnot. The primary engine of that attack was Darwin Thompson. He left for the NFL. But they also lost their top 3 wide receivers, their top tight end, and four out of five offensive linemen. They lost the pass coordinator/QB Coach David Yost, and the run coordinator/Head Coach Matt Wells. So they've been struggling.

Yet they're still scoring 33 points a game. They're 4-2, having taken a tough loss to a sneaky talented Wake Forest team, and then predictably getting blown out in Baton Rouge with a team that had straight up better players everywhere. Passer rating and interceptions and all that aside, Jordan Love is a big part of why they're doing that.

I don't actually think you're far off with the Drew Bledsoe comparison for Justin Herbert. But I think Joe Flacco is probably a bit more accurate.

People truly forget that coming out of Delaware, Joe Flacco was a good athlete. He was never elusive. But then, neither is Herbert.

I don't think Bledsoe is that far off either. Herbert also drops the ball sidearm on occasion like Bledsoe became so fond of. The trajectory is similar to Bledsoe. Herbert is very frantic out there, in facial reactions and gestures and everything else. Moreso than Bledsoe but he also had that tendency in college.

Overall that Oregon/Washington game featured too many fastballs for my taste from both quarterbacks. I'd like to see more evidence of change of pace. The fastball tendency from Eason was so blatant that eventually the announcers had to spotlight it. On the final 4th down play it might have technically been interference but Eason delivered such a no-chance blur that the referees weren't going to bail him out. If he throws a properly paced ball with more time for the contact to be obvious he very likely gets that call.

Herbert throws a ridiculous number of completions behind the line of scrimmage.

I agree that Flacco is a better comparison for Herbert. But the next Oregon quarterback Jay Butterfield is even more similar to Flacco. Big unhurried 6-6 kid with nice touch. Oregon heavily pursued the top two pocket quarterback prospects in the 2020 class. The number one guy picked Clemson -- despite Lawrence's presence -- but Oregon got a nice consolation prize in Butterfield.

I would reluctantly agree with that, while holding Joe Burrow as still somewhat of an unknown despite his age. Burrow could be very good on the next level or quickly evident as merely a backup type.

I'm not thrilled with Fromm but I prefer him above Herbert as long as Fromm's hand size is acceptable.

Jordan Love is a gamble who can be a better version of Josh Allen if everything clicks for him. Not as strong armed or as much of a runner. Better overall feel for the passing game.

Overall it needs to be Tua. Too much of a gap to the others. I still have my doubts the Dolphins will qualify for him. Yesterday was a scary game and I knew that going in, despite the 17 point underdog status. Early season road games coming off a defeat will carry extreme energy level. That can be all the difference when the opponent doesn't take you seriously. If Miami had faced Buffalo at home it would have been an easy win for the Bills. Half the crowd would have supported Buffalo and the Dolphins would have had ordinary intensity level -- at best -- instead of the bonding and pride that a road game of that type will bring. Besides, Josh Allen is always a wild card whether any drive will finish with a touchdown or merely a wasted opportunity settling for a field goal.

There was a poster here who ridiculed Tua as fat and not mature enough. I realize his delivery was crude and he got banned. He also made some claims about his resume that may or may not have been accurate. Regardless, I think he touched on the two proper concerns regarding Tua. His body never looks in ideal shape including legs. That may not prevent the ankle injuries, etc. but I'd feel a heck of a lot better about things if it looked like he prioritized conditioning. He might he able to withstand more and avoid more. I keep thinking to the comparisons to Steve Young and here to Russell Wilson. Both of those guys were wiry tough and full fledged men at an early age. Posters focusing on Tua's accompanying talent level have the wrong spotlight. He's plenty good enough. Is he tough enough physically and mentally?

I've rewatched Oregon vs Washington this morning and it was enough to move both QB's up on my board. I thought both put on the two best QB performances that anybody has turned in so far this year. Better than anything Tua, Burrow, or anybody else has done up to this point.

Herbert was putting balls on the money deep downfield where he was getting absolutely laid into by defenders right as he was letting go of the ball and it was still getting there in a hurry and pinpoint. You're going to have to make these throws in the NFL. Furthermore, he stepped up and showed he could come through in the clutch when his team needed him to.

I'm higher on Herbert coming out of this game than any game he's played in his entire career.

Same for Eason. He threw some of the best dimes I've seen all year deep downfield. He threw one to Chin deep downfield matched up in man coverage against the best player on Oregon's defense, and my top underclassman safety for 2021 - Jevon Holland - that was an absolute ridiculous throw. You just can't do it any better. Made several beautiful throws downfield. These two guys can get the ball down the field.

Eason still has a play or two where his pocket presence leaves him and runs around in circles back there, but you'll live with that for the payoff everywhere else.

I thought the Colorado game was pretty splendid for Justin Herbert. If he followed that up with a strong performance against Washington, that really is something to take note of. Thanks for the heads up.

If you're doing what you're supposed to be doing, marrying the player to the system and the coaches, then Jake Fromm is a no-brainer. Truly. And it's not just a system fit thing. I think he's a genuinely good QB prospect that would stack up well with most/all of the prospects of the last couple of years. He's unique in some ways.

But at the same time, if you're looking down the road at the guy that could develop into the finer player at the position, then you have to look at Jordan Love. His issues this year, from what I can see, are not about his being unable to see the field. Nor are they really about accuracy. He lost more in one off season than I've ever seen a QB lose before.

They were a RB-oriented offense in 2018 with Darwin Thompson and Gerold Bright operating a great ground game, but also catching a lot of passes, particularly screens and whatnot. The primary engine of that attack was Darwin Thompson. He left for the NFL. But they also lost their top 3 wide receivers, their top tight end, and four out of five offensive linemen. They lost the pass coordinator/QB Coach David Yost, and the run coordinator/Head Coach Matt Wells. So they've been struggling.

Yet they're still scoring 33 points a game. They're 4-2, having taken a tough loss to a sneaky talented Wake Forest team, and then predictably getting blown out in Baton Rouge with a team that had straight up better players everywhere. Passer rating and interceptions and all that aside, Jordan Love is a big part of why they're doing that.
I'm a fan of Fromm as well. I know scouts will knock him for lack of athletic ability and I get that in today's game when so many big plays come from athletic qb's. But, he is someone I think could thrive in the right system. Haven't seen enough of Love.

I've rewatched Oregon vs Washington this morning and it was enough to move both QB's up on my board. I thought both put on the two best QB performances that anybody has turned in so far this year. Better than anything Tua, Burrow, or anybody else has done up to this point.

Herbert was putting balls on the money deep downfield where he was getting absolutely laid into by defenders right as he was letting go of the ball and it was still getting there in a hurry and pinpoint. You're going to have to make these throws in the NFL. Furthermore, he stepped up and showed he could come through in the clutch when his team needed him to.

I'm higher on Herbert coming out of this game than any game he's played in his entire career.

Same for Eason. He threw some of the best dimes I've seen all year deep downfield. He threw one to Chin deep downfield matched up in man coverage against the best player on Oregon's defense, and my top underclassman safety for 2021 - Jevon Holland - that was an absolute ridiculous throw. You just can't do it any better. Made several beautiful throws downfield. These two guys can get the ball down the field.

Eason still has a play or two where his pocket presence leaves him and runs around in circles back there, but you'll live with that for the payoff everywhere else.

You know, Slimm.

I rarely disagree with you very strongly. I can usually see what you're seeing, even if I may ultimately see it a different way.

But in this case I just can't see putting Herbert's performance against Washingon on any sort of pedestal.

I could almost accuse you of pulling a Lazarius Levingston. I think you'll know what I mean by that. ;)

I just keep seeing the same stuff as usual out of Herbert. He's late on this throw. Wrong shoulder here. Low there, to where the guy has to dig it out of the turf on one knee, negating the gain. Another turf ball. He stares down a guy who absolutely is not open on 1st & 10 and fires the ball off anyway while a back runs out to the boundary and doesn't have a defender literally within 30 yards of him. He freezes his arm while it's ****ed back, really for no reason, and the ball gets there late with no RAC possible. He scrambles on 4th & 10, can't hit the open guy as he comes back to him (turfed it...again). He sails a 1st & 10 to Hunter Kampmoyer that Tacko Fall MIGHT have caught. A guy is open on the sidelines, Herbert holds onto the football patting it to sleep forever, finally wails it out there and again it MIGHT have been caught be LeBron James. Maybe. Throws a seam ball nowhere near the seam. Gets nearly picked off by Asa Turner, not even sure what in the hell Herbert was trying to get Brendan Schooler to do there.

Then when Oregon does finally start scoring touchdowns...it's low brow screens and run plays. That's basically what won them the game, it was the ground game and the screen game.

And...yeah, that ripper he threw at the bottom of the 3rd quarter damn well might be one of the most impressive velocity-at-long-distance throws I've seen (didn't connect though, which isn't a coincidence). And I loved seeing him roll out, step back to avoid a defender, **** back and re-re-load to hit a guy (albeit low) on a 25 yard throw to move the chains on 3rd & 5. And honestly, much like with Drew Lock, I'll let Justin Herbert run some one-read RPOs for me all day. But criminy, sometimes I wonder if I'm going to see Justin Herbert hit A guy on the correct shoulder at eye level...even once. Just once. I'll take once. I know I'm being facetious, but still.

Jacob Eason on the other hand...looked gorgeous in this game. At least his main problem was just that he would be a little late on some of his check downs, not creative enough to use them opportunistically. I just wanted to give Eason a hug after the game and tell him, "It's not your fault."

You know, Slimm.

I rarely disagree with you very strongly. I can usually see what you're seeing, even if I may ultimately see it a different way.

But in this case I just can't see putting Herbert's performance against Washingon on any sort of pedestal.

I could almost accuse you of pulling a Lazarius Levingston. I think you'll know what I mean by that. ;)

I just keep seeing the same stuff as usual out of Herbert. He's late on this throw. Wrong shoulder here. Low there, to where the guy has to dig it out of the turf on one knee, negating the gain. Another turf ball. He stares down a guy who absolutely is not open on 1st & 10 and fires the ball off anyway while a back runs out to the boundary and doesn't have a defender literally within 30 yards of him. He freezes his arm while it's ****ed back, really for no reason, and the ball gets there late with no RAC possible. He scrambles on 4th & 10, can't hit the open guy as he comes back to him (turfed it...again). He sails a 1st & 10 to Hunter Kampmoyer that Tacko Fall MIGHT have caught. A guy is open on the sidelines, Herbert holds onto the football patting it to sleep forever, finally wails it out there and again it MIGHT have been caught be LeBron James. Maybe. Throws a seam ball nowhere near the seam. Gets nearly picked off by Asa Turner, not even sure what in the hell Herbert was trying to get Brendan Schooler to do there.

Then when Oregon does finally start scoring touchdowns...it's low brow screens and run plays. That's basically what won them the game, it was the ground game and the screen game.

And...yeah, that ripper he threw at the bottom of the 3rd quarter damn well might be one of the most impressive velocity-at-long-distance throws I've seen (didn't connect though, which isn't a coincidence). And I loved seeing him roll out, step back to avoid a defender, **** back and re-re-load to hit a guy (albeit low) on a 25 yard throw to move the chains on 3rd & 5. And honestly, much like with Drew Lock, I'll let Justin Herbert run some one-read RPOs for me all day. But criminy, sometimes I wonder if I'm going to see Justin Herbert hit A guy on the correct shoulder at eye level...even once. Just once. I'll take once. I know I'm being facetious, but still.

Jacob Eason on the other hand...looked gorgeous in this game. At least his main problem was just that he would be a little late on some of his check downs, not creative enough to use them opportunistically. I just wanted to give Eason a hug after the game and tell him, "It's not your fault."

So you're saying there was nowhere to move Herbert up my board in the first place. Stop it :lol:

Slimm, what you describe Justin Herbert as doing against Washington...watch this two-play sequence.

That's big time.

I really like Eason and Ehlinger as middle round guys, if they both decide to declare for the draft.

Back
Top Bottom