Quenton Nelson

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by mmikel30, Jan 2, 2018.

1. mmikel30

mmikel30 Starter

No matter what!
    Sure fire all pro can’t miss player at a position of need.

2. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

I mean he is probably the most glove fit need filler in the first round for Miami and arguably the BPA.

Slide him in at LG and you will likely see Tunsil's and Pouncey's play improve in the process.

I don't like advocating for corn in the top 15, but I would make a happy exception here.

Would run the card up there at 11 . . . He will not be there though.

3. Perfect23

Perfect23 A True Fan

If available then that is the pick.

mmikel30 likes this.
  4. fininpsl

fininpsl A True Fan Donator

If you can get a truly elite player at 11, there is no position outside of special teams that isn't warranted with the pick, especially if it's at a position of need. IMHO Nelson fits that bill. That said, if we rescind his option year and don't retain James, we seem to need a RT more than a guard at this point. I suppose Davis could kick out to RT, but he isn't a sure thing there.

jim1 and mmikel30 like this.
  5. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Tape Guys vs Analytics Guys Finheaven VIP Donator

I bet he will be there, and we will pass on him. I don't think anyone's going to draft a guard in the top ten. It's rare, and when it has happened, it's been a disaster.

That said, I reluctantly agree. I don't consider myself a great judge of how college talent will translate to the pros, but if that kid isn't going to be a monster in the NFL, I'm a three headed Martian.

mmikel30 likes this.
  6. multistage

multistage Well-Known Member

I don’t mean to be that guy but....

Wasn’t everybody saying that about Tunsil?

phish likes this.
  7. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

Albert Breer thinks Nelson is a better guard prospect than Zack Martin. If Nelson is that good, how can you pass that up.

8. mmikel30

mmikel30 Starter

I never said Tunsil was can’t miss the draft pundits had him as the number 1player in the draft...but as a guard Nelson is a can’t miss all pro guard baring any major injuries.

9. outlawd2u

outlawd2u Pro Bowler

If history is any indication then we won't take a guard that high. The player I want and think is just as much a stud at his position is Roquan Smith. If Smith is already gone by our pick though(which I think he will be) then Nelson is my next choice.

10. fininpsl

I agree that this regime seems to have indicated they aren't interested in taking guards early, but they also haven't been keen on grabbing LBs in the first round. I too like Smith's game, but with Kiko at WLB and McMillian at MLB, does Smith project well at SLB, and are we going to invest a #11 pick in a SLB?

11. outlawd2u

outlawd2u Pro Bowler

Smith wouldn't play SLB here, he'd play MLB, or WLB. Raekwon Mcmillian was projected as a SLB coming out of college, and would be the biggest lb of the bunch. Also keep in mind Kiko played better at MLB last season than WLB this year, Mcmillian hasnt played a down in the NFL, so his position is far from set in stone. Id personally put Mcmillian at SLB, Smith at MLB, and leave Kiko where he is with Kiko coming off the field in nickel. All of that being said however I have no idea if this FO would take Smith, but he would be my choice.

fininpsl likes this.
  12. fininpsl

Thanks. That's the answer I was looking for. Wasn't sure if McMillan was suited for strong either., and if so, that makes the most sense. Smith does look like an elite LB and with the TE in the East we need much more athleticism at LB. I don't think they will kick Kiko inside myself even though his best play here was at MLB. And your right that McMillan as a pro is still a question mark, along with his health following a knee injury. If they really liked what they saw of McMillan at MLB in camp though, I could see them waiting until day 2 to grab a LB and going with the best SLB still on the board.

13. outlawd2u

outlawd2u Pro Bowler

If they're adamant on putting Mcmillian at MLB then it doesn't work with Smith because unfortunately it doesn't appear at all like the coaches and FO dislike Alanso like all of the fans do, and I can't picture either of them at SLB. It's kind of weird though because it's possible the FO could see Smith as the type of player who doesn't fit with our current group, But he's Exactly what we need on defense... an athletic LB who can go sideline to sideline and cover TE's and RB's. We do play nickel more times than not though, so 3 lbs won't be on the field much anyway and Kiko is useless in coverage so again Smith would be perfect. My biggest fear though is that the coaching staff and FO will see the Trio of Mcmillian, Alanso, and Anthony as a strength and ignore LB... which would be a big mistake.

fininpsl likes this.
  14. fininpsl

I think Anthony was brought in as a 4th LB option because there are question marks about Raekwon still regarding health, more than as a replacement for Timmons. If he was going to be the thrid LB he would have got more burn at the tail end of the season IMHO. I think them cutting Timmons means they realize they need one more young athletic LB. It's just a matter of whether its someone at strong or mike. I didn't realize Mcmillan was suited for SLB, and given that, then I agree Smith could easily be a target in round 1 at mike.

outlawd2u likes this.
  15. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

I've seen him consistently mocked in the top 10 and sometimes in the top 5.

Of course, that really means nothing. I think he would be a great pick, turning a huge weakness into a strength.

16. Michael Scott

Michael Scott FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I am 99.9% against drafting a guard in the first round, but Nelson is warming up to that .1% though he probably won't be available. If you can get a guy who has the ability to be Zach Martin at a position where we've had bad stop gaps for years and years.... Pull the trigger.

fininpsl likes this.
  17. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

Just saying, Free agent left guard Andrew Norwell
    will be available but at $$$$$$$$$$ and he did
    make the 1st team allpro.

Just draft Nelson to play right guard and sign Norwell
    to left guard and your line becomes something special

18. Zounds

Zounds CPA4LYFE Donator

I thought our OL played well enough this year and plugging in a top OG prospect isnt going to elevate the OL play THAT much imo. We were able to create yards on the ground with Drake, and I am just not so sure using the 11 pick on an OG is the best value. Years ago when our OL was in shambles, drafting an OG in the 1st was reasonable, but I'm just not feeling it 2018.

19. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

I took a look at David DeCastro from back in 2011 just as a refresher, as DeCastro was a 1st round guard that has definitely been worth the 1st round pick.

DeCastro was not a fast player. Neither is Quenton Nelson.

But unlike Nelson, I was a pretty big fan of drafting DeCastro in the 1st round.

The reason why is ultimately when you watch the two, you come away noticing how much better DeCastro is in space. He may not have been a fast player but that gear-less, one-step pulling ability of his was unique. He maneuverable into space, and chopped his feet really well either in space or while engaged in the block. It wasn't coincidental when DeCastro went out and scored 84th percentile on the shuttle drill, or 98th percentile on the cone drill.

Quenton Nelson comes off as more of the lumbering type, with that ***bersome upper body that takes a while to get out on the move into a pull. He has longer, more explosive single strides, from a wider base.

My preference is usually for the former, all things being equal. But all things are not always equal when you're comparing the more maneuverable short-strider to the more explosive long-strider with the wider base. Power and anchor are usually on the side of the latter. But in this case that's where DeCastro was kind of unique. He had all that same power, all that same anchor.

It's hard not to see Nelson as the inferior prospect. But I suppose he's just a junior, and could develop.

Personally I don't see the point drafting Quenton Nelson high when I can get hold of a Will Hernandez much cheaper.

DKphin likes this.
  20. zach attach

zach attach A True Fan Donator

Maybe Tunsil is not at his best by himself over there. If we get Nelson and package the two together, I'd be very happy with that. Dude is tough, nasty and quick on his feet. He also pushes until the whistle is blown, no slack!

21. ckparrothead

The only rationale that would sway me is the idea that a year ago this trio of WRs all had exceptional efficiency with Ryan Tannehill throwing the football, and that Kenyan Drake has been a great revelation, and thus you already have the bones of your offense in place and maybe you really should focus on adding the complementary elements that merely allow those stars to dominate games.

I agree with that, as I did in 2016, and it's what I disagreed with so much about their 2017 off season strategy.

But the primary problem I run into is still that I can do that with Will Hernandez just as easily as Quenton Nelson, and be no worse for the wear. I don't know that I see Nelson as a really rare prospect, period.

22. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

I agree

23. Blake the great

Blake the great A True Fan

For the love of God just buy a proven guard in free agency, enough of wasting top picks on the O line...it hasn't worked!

24. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Any thoughts on Virginia Tech guard Wyatt Teller. He looks like a solid NFL starting guard that could be added cheaply in th 3rd round or maybe even on day 3 of the draft? IHe might not be as good as Nelson or maybe Hernandez, but I could see him starting day one for Miami.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    ckparrothead likes this.
  25. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

The price on Norwell will have some sticker shock for many.

ckparrothead likes this.
  26. mmikel30

mmikel30 Starter

If your saying that their isn’t any difference between will Hernandez and Nelson ...I would say that I strongly disagree. Nelson is on another level competition wise, mental awareness and feel for the game. This guy blocks two defenders at the same time on more than one occasion.

27. ckparrothead

While I won't speak to the issues of competition, mental awareness, or feel for the game (because there's no point, it's your opinion and I have a different one), I will say with respect to the part in bold that, this is a phenomenon you often see in UTEP games as well.

28. Dmarino110

Dmarino110 Starter

Our oline has sucked since 2010 and we havent had a fantastic guard since Sims. Its time.

29. Kdawg954

Definitely nobody to reach on, but depending how the board falls I have no issues upgrading on the OL. There are other spots I prefer to address but come pick 11 and he is your top guy . . . You take him.

30. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase Finheaven VIP

If he's BPA then by all means..

I doubt he will be so it won't matter.

31. Zounds

Zounds CPA4LYFE Donator

I never really bought into the absolute BPA idea. I believe you should draft the player that improves your team the most. The BPA doesn't always improve your team the most. I think there are teams where a top OG prospect could significantly improve the function of the OL, I just don't think we are one of them. Even if you went BPA, Nelson looks to me like he should be somewhere in the 15 to 20 range of BPA in this draft.

32. Zounds

Zounds CPA4LYFE Donator

I don't think our OL sucked the second half of the season. They played well enough to win.

33. Stills&Landry

Stills&Landry A True Fan

I don't hate Larsen at LG. We have some young guys we're developing. With Landry possibly leaving, no TE and all the holes on defense no way I draft o-line before the 4th unless James leaves and I would rather someone with tackle potential even if he started at OG.

34. TraderJoe

TraderJoe FinHeaven VIP

The awareness shown at 2:15 of this video has me completely sold on this guy!

35. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I know this place would blow up in anger, but draft Nelson in the 1st round and Will Hernandez in the 2nd never have to address the interior of the o-line for the next decade. Those two guards would also allow Pouncey to just focus on his duties and not be required to help the guards as much. Even if you replace Pouncey you could put just about anybody at center with those guards. Tannhill with Drake, a 2nd running back, a receiving corp of Landry, Parker, Stills and Grant and the offense will create nightmares. Find a seem threat tightend and Miami would put up 25 points almost every week.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018