Question about O-Gun/ franchise tag | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Question about O-Gun/ franchise tag

Pink_Dove

Animus facit nobilem
Reaction score
I don't like to look ahead and I do think the Fins still have a chance of sneaking in the playiffs but this intrigues me...
Unable to resign O-Gun (Rosenhaus is going to ask for way too much and we've already invested a lot in the DE position with J.Taylor) we'll probably slap the franchise tag on him to get a first rounder...
Say the Pats sign him to a deal and we don't match...Which first round pick would we get??? Are we the ones deciding or are the Pats deciding?? The league???

Another interesting thought about The Raiders..THey will have cleared a lot of cap space presumably cutting R. Woodson and C. Woodson maybe even Gannon...I wouldnt be surprised to see them go after a DE...It has been a glaring weakness of them for a couple years...Is AL Davis nuts enough to try to sign him...If he is we'd be in a prime position to get *you know who* at WR...

Very unlikely about the Raiders but if someone could answer my question about the Pats...
Thanxxx

i think it would be new englands original 1st round draft pick

I don't think we have to tag Wally. If we TENDER him(he's restricted) at $1.5m, then the team who signs him.. would give up a 1st.

But wait, wasn't Peerless Price restricted AND still tagged?

He doesn't have to be franchised because he's a restricted FA. This means Miami only has to tender him an offer and they have the right to match any and all offers made to him. They will likely give him a tender offer that would be comensurate with a franchise tag due to the fact that the top dollar tenders (I'm not sure what they will be next year) provide a 1st (and I believe a 3rd as well but I'm not sure) round pick to the team losing the player if they chose not to match the FA offer of the bidding team.

Basically, there's no reason to franchise Ogun.

yes, if we render him the highest tender FA then we receive the team who signs him, 1st and 3rd round picks.....hopefull it will be someboday worse than we are....that way we can get a pick higher up....i would love for the raiders to sign him but usually with teams that have a pick that high, will use it on the position they need most or the most talented in the draft.....unless a team is EXTREMELY in need of a DE then i wouldn't expect that bad of a team to pick him up

Originally posted by Pink_Dove
I don't like to look ahead and I do think the Fins still have a chance of sneaking in the playiffs but this intrigues me...
Unable to resign O-Gun (Rosenhaus is going to ask for way too much and we've already invested a lot in the DE position with J.Taylor) we'll probably slap the franchise tag on him to get a first rounder...
Say the Pats sign him to a deal and we don't match...Which first round pick would we get??? Are we the ones deciding or are the Pats deciding?? The league???

Fortunately, Ogun is RFA, NOT Franchise player. If he was franchised, we would be looking at a one-year tender between 6-8 million (average salary of top 5-10 DEs depending on which franchise tag).

Ogun is probably as good as gone.
Next year he will be a RFA meaning

1. We place a first round tender (close to 1.43 million) on him. If someone offers him a contract we can match it, or lose him and get THEIR first round pick as compensation.

2. We place a first and third round tender (close to 1.98 million) on him. Same scenario except we receive their first and third.

3. There is one more RFA tender for a bit more money and picks, but I don't believe it has ever been used yet.

If nobody offers him a contract he remains with us next year at the above prices. The following year, we could then franchise him if we so chose. We could REALLY use the extra pick(s) vs. a one-year rental of Ogun. We cannot afford another big salary on defense. We HAVE to spend some money on offense. We have to try and figure out if someone would bite on the first and third or not. At just a first round tender, some team would definitely take him. 1st and 3rd????
Hope this helps!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Re: Question about O-Gun/ franchise tag

Originally posted by unclemonty
Next year he will be a RFA meaning

1. We place a first round tender (close to 1.43 million) on him. If someone offers him a contract we can match it, or lose him and get THEIR first round pick as compensation.

2. We place a first and third round tender (close to 1.98 million) on him. Same scenario except we receive their first and third.

3. There is one more RFA tender for a bit more money and picks, but I don't believe it has ever been used yet.

The tender you're missing is the lowest. With that tender, the team only receives a draft pick of the round that the player was drafted in as compensation.

The transitional tag is also an option, but it's a pretty crappy option because you get nothing if you fail to re-sign the player.

As for the Raiders, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of them taking one of the top QBs (Manning, Big Ben).

Originally posted by Muck
As for the Raiders, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of them taking one of the top QBs (Manning, Big Ben).

yup it's obvious to me anyway... that they're gonna go after a franchise QB. gannon is old, and theres no FA other then Payton Manning that are any special for the future. MAYBE couch, but A) he might resign with the browns, and B) he's still as much of a risk as one of these QB.

as for Manning... who wants to bet that if Indy gets blown out in the playoffs manning LEAVES indy.

A). fans have a love/hate relationship with him (god only knows why)

B). his team still sucks after everything thats happened

C). they might move to LA.

so i can see manning leaving. maybe to miami? his favorite QB of all time was Dan Marino. but it would have to come down to a SB over money. something i believe PM would prefer (as he has seen it happen to players like Marino).

Peyton Manning in Miami. We can only dream. Can't see him leaving Harrison and that offense.

I have a question now......Would it be possible to get two firsts and a third, if we franchise Wade and offer O-gun the highest tender, and then let someone else take them?

3 firsts and two thirds would be out-friggin-standing...:biggrin:

We probably can't clear enough cap space to franchise Wade. The franchise tag means that you have to make a one-year tender offer equivalent to the average of the top five salaries at right tackle -- probably somewhere between $4-5 million. That charge applies against Miami's salary cap until such time as 1) we sign him or 2) we trade him.

Originally posted by DolfanDaveInATX
We probably can't clear enough cap space to franchise Wade. The franchise tag means that you have to make a one-year tender offer equivalent to the average of the top five salaries at right tackle -- probably somewhere between $4-5 million. That charge applies against Miami's salary cap until such time as 1) we sign him or 2) we trade him.

Would we be able to do a little slight of cap by working and resolving Wade's situation before or after O-gun's? Or would we be put into a position that forces us to take care of both at the same time? One thing I learned from last year, is that everything doesn't happen at once.;)

Originally posted by Muck
The transitional tag is also an option, but it's a pretty crappy option because you get nothing if you fail to re-sign the player.

Is that what the bengals used on Tako Spikes, I think but not 100% sure. I know they did not get anything for him which blew my mind, the bills were willing to pay up.

Back
Top Bottom