Question about O-Gun/ franchise tag | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Question about O-Gun/ franchise tag

Re: Re: Question about O-Gun/ franchise tag

Originally posted by unclemonty

Ogun is probably as good as gone.

I'm not so sure of that. RFA was designed to prevent player movement and historically that has been the case. Only last year did Dan Snyder pay the price and it was only a single number one. Lets face it a team will have to give up two picks and pay franchise type money too. Do the Redskins need a DE??? :lol:

3. There is one more RFA tender for a bit more money and picks, but I don't believe it has ever been used yet.

That tender is $500K more than the tender for the 1st and 3rd. $2.301M last year. Compensation is a first round pick and the signing new club has to waive or limit the ability to designate that player as a franchise or transition player in the future.

I'm not sure it has ever been used either but no one ever talks about it. John Clayton of ESPN reported it as rarely used.

Originally posted by inFINSible
I have a question now......Would it be possible to get two firsts and a third, if we franchise Wade and offer O-gun the highest tender, and then let someone else take them?

3 firsts and two thirds would be out-friggin-standing...:biggrin:

No one would give up a first round pick for Todd Wade. I doubt anyone will give him the money he wants, but there are a few dumb teams out there.

No team will give a first and a third for Ogunleye. I am not even sure if a team would actually give a first rounder for him.

We should tender Ogunleye with a first rounder, not a first and third. Franchising Todd Wade is a bad idea because we would have to clear a lot of cap room and no team is going to trade for him and pay him top 5 tackle salary (if we franchise Wade, the tender amount would be the amount the 5th highest paid tackle in the league makes, and that includes left tackles.)

I have a question now......Would it be possible to get two firsts and a third, if we franchise Wade and offer O-gun the highest tender, and then let someone else take them?

3 firsts and two thirds would be out-friggin-standing...:biggrin:

Wait a minute. If we tag Wade with the franchise tag who is going to want him???
Then we will also have to pay him a one year $6 to 7M contract. :)

We will find out if its really his play or being on a discombobulated line.

http://www.nflpa.org/Media/main.asp?subPage=Franchise+and+Transition+Numbers

Would we be able to do a little slight of cap by working and resolving Wade's situation before or after O-gun's? Or would we be put into a position that forces us to take care of both at the same time? One thing I learned from last year, is that everything doesn't happen at once.;)

This is an excellent question inFINSible. :)

The current brain trust must have a plan to make room for what they want to do. There is a two week window in February (2/06 to 2/20) to designate Franchise or Transition players. The team has until the last day of February or the day before free agency starts to tender RFAs and ERFAs. Then it's open season. Usually teams that come out of the gate dealing, sign the best players and pay the highest prices. So if one equates Wade and Ogunleye as the best then we will have to deal with them at the same time. I don't think that's the case.

Back
Top Bottom