Question about Saban | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Question about Saban

FinsDontGiveIn

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I really don't know a whole lot about him. Is he a guy who get's really pissed off on the sidelines, like Bill Cowher or Ditka in his day? Or is he calm and collected, like Shula and Landry? I know he isn't the confused confused type like Wanny, Mularkey or that meathead up in Minnesota. I would prefer a coach who get's really mad....Seems to work for Bill Cowher.

FinsDontGiveIn said:
I really don't know a whole lot about him. Is he a guy who get's really pissed off on the sidelines, like Bill Cowher or Ditka in his day? Or is he calm and collected, like Shula and Landry? I know he isn't the confused confused type like Wanny, Mularkey or that meathead up in Minnesota. I would prefer a coach who get's really mad....Seems to work for Bill Cowher.
Shula was collected in his later years but not in the '60's and '70's and part of the '80s. Did you ever see the tirade he gave the ref who blew a call late in a Monday night game against the Eagles in the early '80's?

As for Saban, he's not a Cowher but he can get pretty animated at times.

I have watched several LSU games over the past few years and he will not take it to the point of showing up a ref or disrespecing them, but I have seem him give a Ref an earful before and he will not let it go until he feels he's ready to let it go.. another thing you'll see him do is express his displeasure with a certain player, play, or execution of a play... he won't berate a player, but I have seen him call a player over who was coming off the field and give him an earfull.. he's always challenging the players and that's a part of it.. he will never show up a player, but he'll push him, be it at practice or after a fumble in a game... he will stand for NOTHING less than perfection and effort every minute of every game.. period.. the days of Wanny being happy with having to punt and clapping the guys off the field with a good try we'll get em next time is over.. if a player drops a 3rd and 2 pass right in his hands.. he WILL hear about it.. period..

AtlantaPhin said:
Shula was collected in his later years but not in the '60's and '70's and part of the '80s. Did you ever see the tirade he gave the ref who blew a call late in a Monday night game against the Eagles in the early '80's?

As for Saban, he's not a Cowher but he can get pretty animated at times.

Wasn't that great !!!

Yea, Shues was one of those coaches that all he had to do was look at you in that way and you knew you screwed up. But he did go into ranting, especially when he was younger...

JJ...same way...always jawing at or to someone.

Saban may start out by holding his outlashes and tongue-whippings in, but he'll open up soon enough...He is a very vocal coach...always teaching and talking to his players...he is stoic in front of the camera's in his PCs, but gets animated on the field....

Saban is intense. I once some him chew out a player (FB, I think) for taking the wrong angle on a block in the 4th quarter (about 2 minutes left)of a game where LSU was blowing out the other team.

I like seeing a coach be involved in the sidelines. I liked watching Bates at the end of last season, he played with heart and you could tell the guys respected him and played their hearts out for them. These players know when they have a leader and they'll repect and play for Saban, with Wanny you just didn't get pumped up... he was a nice guy, but sometimes you need someone to tell it to you straight not sugar coat it. I'm looking forward to seeing Saban on the sidelines.

rafael said:
Saban is intense. I once some him chew out a player (FB, I think) for taking the wrong angle on a block in the 4th quarter (about 2 minutes left)of a game where LSU was blowing out the other team.

Exactly, that's what i'm saying, you'd better be giving it your all and your head better be in the game every minute. Regardless of if it's tied, close, or if you're winning or losing by 4 touchdowns.. do it right.. practice doesn't make perfect.. PERFECT PRACTICE makes perfect... do it right every time.. period!

Saban is intense. hes not going to show anyone up but he will not hesitate to get in a player or refs face. Think along the lines of Bellichick, Tuna, that kind of personality. hes going to be very professional as he has in the past, but he is all about winning and execution so if the players don't do those things I think we'll see him have a couple outbursts. Otherwise i think he's pretty under control for the most part.

Back
Top Bottom