Question about signing new players now... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Question about signing new players now...

xiidaen

FinHeaven.com Evangelist
Reaction score
My question about bringing in McCardell (or anyone else at this point) is: can we reasonably expect them to learn the offense in the time remaining? Articles today indicate that nothing is likely to happen until the end of pre-season as teams guard against injuries. So, what, we get him a week before opening day, and hand him the playbook and say 'good luck'? Besides learning the new offense, he'll need to get his timing down with the QB(s) -- a problem we've seen in the last few years just when we've switched starters and backups at both positions...now you want to bring in someone they've never thrown to?

I'm not saying it can't/won't happen, but I think a lot of things need to go right for him to step in and be successful. Does anyone know if the offensive system at Tampa is similar to ours? (Does anyone even know what ours is as we have heard it will be a bastardized hybrid of Gailley and Turner with heavy influance from Trestman's WCO experience?)

I'm all for bringing in anyone who is 1) reasonably priced and 2) improves the team, but it may be some time before they have a chance to really have an impact as they adjust to the team, and vice-versa. There's also the extreme example of Chris Carter to show what happens when you push people into too big a role, too quickly. (I'm not suggesting that there is a direct parallel between Carter and McCardell).

you hit the nail on the head. mccardell wont do much for a team who doenst even know itself yet. the failure and cap space and draft status for next year is potentially disasterous where you would have to start selling off players like Zach, Surtain, T Bowens, Seau, ect. ect.

I believe they need to bring someone in here in time to learn the offense but I also want to see what the young guys have kind of a catch 22.

Back
Top Bottom