Question about the Surtain trade. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Question about the Surtain trade.

WildFin84

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Does anyone know whats going on with the 5th round picks. Is Kansas City giving us both of their 5th rounders (147 and 162 overall) for our one pick (138 overall) or are we just swapping with one of theirs because the latter wouldn't really make any sense.

The only thing that I've seen is that "we're swapping 5th round picks". The Sun-Sentinel says that it was the 138 for 162. But the way that it was written made it seem like there wasn't any other option (i.e., was only 1 pick on the 5th round). I've seen nothing definitively identifying what the deal is.

Now the Palm Beach Post is saying that it was a swap, 138 for 162. I don't like this at all. At the minimum we should have only swapped for their 147th. But, probably we should have received both of theirs for our one.

chuckcole said:
Now the Palm Beach Post is saying that it was a swap, 138 for 162. I don't like this at all. At the minimum we should have only swapped for their 147th. But, probably we should have received both of theirs for our one.

Swapping 138 for 162 or 138 for 147 really doesn't matter when you're picking in the 5th round, no player that low will be much better than the other. That second round pick was the most inportant.

We arranged for this meaningless (in comparison to the value of a 2nd) swap as a stroke to Peterson's ego. If Nick uses his excellent judgment and the same sort of quality info Rick used last year on our second day picks, we could pick last in the 5th and 7th and still get nice players.

finmann said:
Swapping 138 for 162 or 138 for 147 really doesn't matter when you're picking in the 5th round, no player that low will be much better than the other. That second round pick was the most inportant.

:yeahthat:

Jimmy James said:
We arranged for this meaningless (in comparison to the value of a 2nd) swap as a stroke to Peterson's ego. If Nick uses his excellent judgment and the same sort of quality info Rick used last year on our second day picks, we could pick last in the 5th and 7th and still get nice players.
Here here. Swapping 5ths to get the deal done is fine. More than anything, I think it shows how much Saban wanted the cap relief - almost as much as he wanted the pick. You can't underestimate how much we needed the cap relief, IMO.

And I read another at the Kc paper I think saying we get the pick #150 for ours and they keep #162

finmann said:
Maybe it's just the principle of the whole thing. I think getting Surtain basically for just a 2nd is a steal for KC. Especially after Buchanon went for a 2nd and 3rd. Speaking of which, why in the world didn't we talk to Houston about Surtain?

chuckcole said:
Maybe it's just the principle of the whole thing. I think getting Surtain basically for just a 2nd is a steal for KC. Especially after Buchanon went for a 2nd and 3rd. Speaking of which, why in the world didn't we talk to Houston about Surtain?

Surtain doesn't return kicks, he's older than PB, and he is FAR more expensive/locked up for far longer. Pat wasn't the solution every team looking for a CB had in mind, so you can't really compare the situations.

You cant compare Buchanon and Surtain, they dont have same trade value cause Pat is gettin old and his knees are a liablity and Buchanon is a young player with his better days ahead of him.....

YoMamma said:
You cant compare Buchanon and Surtain, they dont have same trade value cause Pat is gettin old and his knees are a liablity and Buchanon is a young player with his better days ahead of him.....

Not to mention the Salary that Pat wants compared to what Buchanon wanted. that was the biggest difference. If Pat didnt want a huge contract we would have had teams all over the place. Somewhat like the James deal for the colts. He would have been gone long ago if somebody didnt have to pay him buku bucks.

YoMamma said:

And he has two years left on his current deal.

chuckcole said:

I think we got fair market value for Surtain(although I would have loved a 4th thrown in) I thought teams such as the colts, Raiders and redskins would have step up for him.

Back
Top Bottom