Question for CK or Boomer about Daniels | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Question for CK or Boomer about Daniels

DePhinistr8

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Since you two seem to be more in the know about talent, etc, I was wondering if you could answer me something about Travis Daniels.

I like the kid, think he can tackle well and is pretty decent in coverage, however, does he have a problem finding the ball in the air? I haven't watched him really close, but it seems that he's usually in decent position to make a play on the ball, but can't seem to find it...

I know this is pretty random, but any input is appreciated. Thanks fellas!

I can help but my name isn't CK or Boomer (:

malzj said:
I can help but my name isn't CK or Boomer (:
Being a "season veteran" may give you a free pass.:confused2

I would say that seems to be the problem w/ our whole secondary. They have been in decent positions, but don't know how to play the ball.

Bell seems a bit better than the rest at that.

Its called turning your head around for the ball which negates Pass interference calls alot of the time and increases the chances of batted down balls and INTS but what do i know!

FanMarino said:
Its called turning your head around for the ball which negates Pass interference calls alot of the time and increases the chances of batted down balls and INTS but what do i know!

You know you've brought up a good point that has been bothering me all year.

It's not just Daniels either, I've seen Allen and especially Goodman showing this alarming trait.

It's like these guys weren't taught this basic skill of being a DB but of course I know they had to be at one point.

For some reason I've seen this problem quite a bit this year in many games. Hopefully it's a problem that is being addressed.

Trekbiz said:
You know you've brought up a good point that has been bothering me all year.

It's not just Daniels either, I've seen Allen and especially Goodman showing this alarming trait.

It's like these guys weren't taught this basic skill of being a DB but of course I know they had to be at one point.

For some reason I've seen this problem quite a bit this year in many games. Hopefully it's a problem that is being addressed.

Spot on. DB's in the NFL nowadays seem to watch the players eyes more and rely on defending by playing the WR's arms and hoping to knock the ball out instead of doing the fundamentals.
If you want to see a DB then watch a Denver game and watch Bailey. The guy is a stud, he turns his head and actually plays for the ball. Something alot of DB's can learn from IMO.
I used to play CB for 4 yrs and it seriously annoys me to see Cornerbacks playing the man and not the ball when the chance to turn the head around and at least go for the bat down if not the INT.

FanMarino said:
Spot on. DB's in the NFL nowadays seem to watch the players eyes more and rely on defending by playing the WR's arms and hoping to knock the ball out instead of doing the fundamentals.
If you want to see a DB then watch a Denver game and watch Bailey. The guy is a stud, he turns his head and actually plays for the ball. Something alot of DB's can learn from IMO.
I used to play CB for 4 yrs and it seriously annoys me to see Cornerbacks playing the man and not the ball when the chance to turn the head around and at least go for the bat down if not the INT.

You nailed it.

You guys are certainly right. I thought the premise of Saban's defense was to pressure the offense into making poor decisions and creating TO's? I like Will Allen and Andre Goodman. I think they cover well. However, they're not creating the turnovers. Their ball skills are very poor. I personally believe Andre Goodman is the best, in terms of ball skills, than the three. The problem is that all of our CBs face the problem.

You look at the Bears CBs as a great example. Personally, I think Will Allen and Andre Goodman might be better cover CBs than Nathan Vasher and Charles Tillman. But, they won't ever get that recognition becuase of the plays those 2 CBs make. They takes risks in trying to make plays. More often than not, those risks are rewarded because of the syle of play of their defense. It's just an aggressive style of defensive play.

Another example is Rashean Mathis. I see the guy play every Sunday here in Jacksonville. He's getting all the recognition as a top-tier CB, which he should. The guy makes plays on the ball and converts poor throws into INTs. He continually gets beat on Double Moves as we saw firsthand, and if you watch the game vs. the Colts, Marvin Harrison will burn him at least once on it every time they play. However, you don't look at the times he gets burned, you look at all the plays he's making.

We've had this problem before in the later years of Madison and Surtain. They were great cover CBs but couldn't make the big play and make the INT.

Personally, I'd love to keep 2 of these guys (Will Allen and Andre Goodman, I love speed) and maybe sign a guy like Asante Samuel, or Vasher or Tillman (I think one of those guys might hit the FA market this offseason?)

rdhstlr23 said:
Personally, I'd love to keep 2 of these guys (Will Allen and Andre Goodman, I love speed) and maybe sign a guy like Asante Samuel, or Vasher or Tillman (I think one of those guys might hit the FA market this offseason?)

Im with you. Keep Allen and Goodman who are IMO the No1+2. I love speed as well, as long as it comes with a head that knows how to defend passes and plays smart. Speed can often make up for mental mistakes. If you havnt got experience or speed in the NFL as a DB you are going to get found out.

90% of the time it's because the DB got beat by the WR. He's trying to catch up with the reciever, when a person turns there head they slow down. If Champ Bailey gets beat off the line he has the speed to catch up and still play the ball.

bigguy1381 said:
90% of the time it's because the DB got beat by the WR. He's trying to catch up with the reciever, when a person turns there head they slow down. If Champ Bailey gets beat off the line he has the speed to catch up and still play the ball.

I dont agree about the 90%. You see the deep passes and DB's getting beat by speed but most DB's are just as fast as WR's. Its the lack of awareness by DB's that get Pass Interference calls, lack of bat downs and getting beat. The position of the Cornerback dictates that speed must equal that of the Wr. Where the Cornerback comes into his own is awareness and the abilty of closing speed IMO.

Saying people should learn from Champ Bailey is like saying people should learn from Picasso. I have never been a huge Bailey fan but he is able to do what he can because of insane athletic ability. That is why he can look in the backfield, this also costs him as he is prone to look in the backfield too much and give up big plays against good receivers.

The Bears CBs look for the ball because they are playing zone and that is what their defense allows. Cover 2 is about corners playing for the pick everytime.

This defense puts the backs in tough situations such as one on one coverage. That is alot to ask for, for young players and especially a group that has never had 1 pro bowl appearance between the 4-6 of them. Turning their heads on the play would be nice but I think when you send the heat and the ball is going deep you want your player to just stop a play from happening instead of making a play himself. Note: An interception 40 yards downfield is the same as a punt.

PhinsPhan said:
Saying people should learn from Champ Bailey is like saying people should learn from Picasso. I have never been a huge Bailey fan but he is able to do what he can because of insane athletic ability. That is why he can look in the backfield, this also costs him as he is prone to look in the backfield too much and give up big plays against good receivers.

The Bears CBs look for the ball because they are playing zone and that is what their defense allows. Cover 2 is about corners playing for the pick everytime.

This defense puts the backs in tough situations such as one on one coverage. That is alot to ask for, for young players and especially a group that has never had 1 pro bowl appearance between the 4-6 of them. Turning their heads on the play would be nice but I think when you send the heat and the ball is going deep you want your player to just stop a play from happening instead of making a play himself. Note: An interception 40 yards downfield is the same as a punt.

You are saying to learn from Champ Bailey is like painters to learn from Picasso is crazy yes? Why? Most students of Art learn from all the best artists work.

Back
Top Bottom