Question for Webmaster | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Question for Webmaster

fairbanksb

Panhandler
Reaction score
Please explain the rules or rationale for not allowing complete articles to be posted. I do understand the rationale if the article is from a fee based site, like NFL Insider or SportingNews, but why if the article is from a public site?

Fairbanks ... I'm not a mod, but you have to be real careful with reprinting articles ... copyright infringements are involved ... (oh Lord ... look at the dots ... I'm turning into DCH! :))

Anyway, just as you can't reprint articles from print magazines or newspapers, the same laws hold true in cyberspace.

Legal issues. If your caught with copyrighted material all they have to do is go to a court and get an injunction and that will force the host to shut down the site. Seen it happen many a time with various sites.

Yea... what they said... thanks guys :lol:

But seriously, I was just reading the Trademark and Registration website today as I was looking at the fees... anyways, it is a serious violation if a website is found reprinting articles from another website.

Here is my point of view, monetary wise anyways. I own a website with commentary, people come for our commentary. Every time a visitor comes to this site to read an article, I get revenue from advertisements and etc. If another website is also displaying that article, without my approval, then I am losing visitors and revenue. Granted, it's not a whole lot... but it adds up, especially if it's ESPN, CBS, etc....

But, besides the monetary loss, it's just plain illegal...

Originally posted by FinHeavenAJ
Yea... what they said... thanks guys :lol:

But seriously, I was just reading the Trademark and Registration website today as I was looking at the fees... anyways, it is a serious violation if a website is found reprinting articles from another website.

Here is my point of view, monetary wise anyways. I own a website with commentary, people come for our commentary. Every time a visitor comes to this site to read an article, I get revenue from advertisements and etc. If another website is also displaying that article, without my approval, then I am losing visitors and revenue. Granted, it's not a whole lot... but it adds up, especially if it's ESPN, CBS, etc....

But, besides the monetary loss, it's just plain illegal...

Okay, I think. If this is the case, which I have no reason to believe it isn't, I think you should ask for revenues from those sites, every time we steer people to those sites to read an article. Yeah, that's it!!!!!!

I know,I have been busy and some stuff happened and it's a long story......but I am gald to be back around and our offseason moves make me excited for the upcoming season.........we got Junior.......too cool...........OK,I kinda borrowed Dolfanmikes user pic........well I pm'd him to ask and he never replied...........2 times I did that.So barring the world coming to an end I feel I should just get it out so I don't feel guilty.......LOL.............that's all.......I feel better now and if Mike wants to hunt me down and kill me my address is.............NOT.......thanks............:)

Fairbanks, look at it this way ... if I tell you the NY Times has a great review of "The Matrix Unloaded" and you read it, the Times isn't going to cut me a check.

Originally posted by DrAstroZoom
Fairbanks, look at it this way ... if I tell you the NY Times has a great review of "The Matrix Unloaded" and you read it, the Times isn't going to cut me a check.

You're darn right they wouldn't. I wouldn't read anything out of the NY Times even if YOU paid ME to read it.
It was a joke, but seems only fair.

Y'know ... I've typically been a fan of the Times ... good writing. But this new reporter scandal has really shaken my faith.

And yes mods ... we are officially WAY off topic.

Originally posted by DrAstroZoom
Y'know ... I've typically been a fan of the Times ... good writing. But this new reporter scandal has really shaken my faith.

And yes mods ... we are officially WAY off topic.

I got my answer. Copyright material. Post links not articles. I don't want to get anyone shut down. Thanx to all who responded.

Originally posted by fairbanksb
Please explain the rules or rationale for not allowing complete articles to be posted. I do understand the rationale if the article is from a fee based site, like NFL Insider or SportingNews, but why if the article is from a public site?

Dunno how Admin feels about it, but I'd rather go to a link so I can save it, if I choose to... Plus, with a link the entire article is there, not just the portion someone chooses to copy and past...

Back
Top Bottom