Question on Wes Welker.. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Question on Wes Welker..

BLB13 said:
He is not the fastest but he is not slow. I believe he came from Texas Tech where he was quite the receiver for them. We definitely should keep him. He might not be a bad 4th or 5th receiver either.
thing that rags me off with this is that he may never see the ball in a receiver situation as a 4th or 5th receiver. Pre season may be his only chance. We may never know.

Welker is a very valuable returner. So he doesn't have blazing speed, I say so what? This isn't a game of Madden here where everyone wants a 99 speed returning kicks. There are plenty of guys that are faster, but Welker is football intelligent which makes up for that small gap in speed. He knows how to use his blocks, reads the return well, and is sure-handed. Emmitt Smith ran a 4.6 at the combine, but he played so much faster because he knew how to hit the hole with authority. Football intelligence can make up for lack of natural athletic ability, at any position. Bruschi and Zach Thomas are prime examples of that at linebacker. Football speed and track speed are completely different concepts. To have both football and track speed would be a special player, but those with one or the other, football speed always wins.

Venez1284 said:
Welker is a very valuable returner. So he doesn't have blazing speed, I say so what? This isn't a game of Madden here where everyone wants a 99 speed returning kicks. There are plenty of guys that are faster, but Welker is football intelligent which makes up for that small gap in speed. He knows how to use his blocks, reads the return well, and is sure-handed. Emmitt Smith ran a 4.6 at the combine, but he played so much faster because he knew how to hit the hole with authority. Football intelligence can make up for lack of natural athletic ability, at any position. Bruschi and Zach Thomas are prime examples of that at linebacker. Football speed and track speed are completely different concepts. To have both football and track speed would be a special player, but those with one or the other, football speed always wins.

Exactly, many great returners are fast but some just have great instincts. For example, how good would Dante Hall be if he couldnt juke and change directions like he currently can?

FanMarino said:
thing that rags me off with this is that he may never see the ball in a receiver situation as a 4th or 5th receiver. Pre season may be his only chance. We may never know.
They'll try him out, I'm sure. Danté Hall isn't the best receiver in Kansas City (which is sad considering their lack of talent at the position) but he's most certainly a playmaker.

hdjetta6316 said:
he is still signed through 2006. $305,000 a year

good, i like wes Welker, i think he could become the next Dante' with good blocking..... he certainly has the speed

Back
Top Bottom