Question to any FA experts... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Question to any FA experts...

Fin Thirteen

Club Member
Reaction score
If a team puts a tender on a RFA player and another team offers the tender (say a first round pick) plus a package for the player to consider, how much time does the team who originally placed the tender have to match that offer?

In theory, say we made an offer to NYG for Cruz, or the Bolts for Alexander or whoever, the other team could use up all of FA before replying. We would understandably get nervous as we watch other players getting picked off and in all likelihood would abandon the chase so as not to end up with nothing. Can this happen or are teams who slap the tender on a player obligated to respond to an offer quickly?

I am definitely not a FA expert but I think this is what you are looking for.

From the last CBA Section 3. Offer Sheet and Right of First Refusal Procedures:
(a) Offer Sheets. When a Restricted Free Agent receives an offer to sign a Player Contract from any Club (the "New Club") other than the Prior Club, which offer the player desires to accept, he shall give to the Prior Club a completed certificate substantially in the form of Appendix B, attached hereto (the "Offer Sheet"), signed by the Restricted Free Agent and the New Club, which shall contain the "Principal Terms" (as defined below) of the New Club’s offer. The New Club and the player must specifically identify in the Offer Sheet those provisions they believe are Principal Terms. The Prior Club, within five days from the date it receives the Offer Sheet, may exercise or not exercise its Right of First Refusal, which shall have the legal consequences set forth below.

I am definitely not a FA expert but I think this is what you are looking for.

From the last CBA Section 3. Offer Sheet and Right of First Refusal Procedures:

Thank you. 5 days seems fair enough.

Back
Top Bottom