Question, why do some of you guys not give Robert Jones his due? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Question, why do some of you guys not give Robert Jones his due?

Jones/Cotton/Eich
Wynn are all on the same boat....they'll get a chance to compete in TC and the team hopes is that one of them can take a starting position without leaving any doubt.......still, I'm hoping we draft OL with our top pick.

As of right now the ceiling for our OL in 2024 seems to be no higher than what the OL was in 2023 just based on the fact that we lost Williams and Hunt and have only gained Brewer......everyone else was here last year so lets just say Brewer gets to be as good as Williams and that's me just hoping for the best......now we're asking a rookie to be as good as Hunt was last year.....say those two things happen and we don’t draft any other OL then we're looking at about the same as last year.

The one thing that could tilt the balance is if the starting 5 can stay healthy all year long and again, that's if Brewer plays as well as Williams and a rookie guard plays as well as Hunt.

Jones/Cotton/Eich
Wynn are all on the same boat....they'll get a chance to compete in TC and the team hopes is that one of them can take a starting position without leaving any doubt.......still, I'm hoping we draft OL with our top pick.

As of right now the ceiling for our OL in 2024 seems to be no higher than what the OL was in 2023 just based on the fact that we lost Williams and Hunt and have only gained Brewer......everyone else was here last year so lets just say Brewer gets to be as good as Williams and that's me just hoping for the best......now we're asking a rookie to be as good as Hunt was last year.....say those two things happen and we don’t draft any other OL then we're looking at about the same as last year.

The one thing that could tilt the balance is if the starting 5 can stay healthy all year long and again, that's if Brewer plays as well as Williams and a rookie guard plays as well as Hunt.
Your analysis is correct, but I think the team is probably feeling like health will be the difference. We went long stretches without Armstead and Wynn (and even Williams and Hunt), so I am sure the way the front office is looking at it, Armstead is a huge upgrade over Lamm, Brewer is a huge upgrade over Eichenberg at center, a healthy Wynn is a huge upgrade over Cotton, and Eichenberg or Jones at RG is the same as what we had last year anyway since Hunt was hurt down the stretch.

Your analysis is correct, but I think the team is probably feeling like health will be the difference. We went long stretches without Armstead and Wynn (and even Williams and Hunt), so I am sure the way the front office is looking at it, Armstead is a huge upgrade over Lamm, Brewer is a huge upgrade over Eichenberg at center, a healthy Wynn is a huge upgrade over Cotton, and Eichenberg or Jones at RG is the same as what we had last year anyway since Hunt was hurt down the stretch.
right but the problem is we're once again counting on players that were hurt last year.....if it was up to me going OL in the 1st and 2nd round would be an option but I doubt that happens.....hoping for at least OL with our top pick where the talent is very high.

right but the problem is we're once again counting on players that were hurt last year.....if it was up to me going OL in the 1st and 2nd round would be an option but I doubt that happens.....hoping for at least OL with our top pick where the talent is very high.
I would agree if I didn’t like Latu and Chop Robinson so much. I want an edge in the first round. I won’t be upset if we go Fautanu or Powers-Johnson, though.

Those are the four players I’d be targeting at 21.

My problem with Jones is that he's one dimensional. He's very good in the run game but leaves a lot to be desired in pass protection. He became less of a fit when we brought in a guy at center who also isn't known for his pass blocking.

I like Jones' potential. Of the guys we brought back, I like Jones, Hayes, Kion Smith and Wynn as guys who I feel have the ability to be at least adequate starters. Actually, I should add Eich as well. I have been very critical of Eich since we drafted him. And I don't like him as a C or T, but I think he has the potential to be an adequate G. I like his potential less than the others I mentioned first, but he was at that level before injuries forced us to move him again.

I haven't seen enough of the other OL FAs we signed to have an opinion, but I like that we have a lot of bodies there. Building an OL is more about getting the right fit and then giving it enough time and continuity than it is about spending big money or first round picks. Although I think the odds are good that we add another OL in the first round. Even then I don't care whether that potential first rounder starts in year 1. IMO those who worry about whether a first round pick flashes immediately don't understand football and player development.

Our entire O, even when healthy was masked by a QB who can quickly and accurately get the ball out in 2.3 seconds. Armstead is really good when not injured, same with Williams. The rest, including Hunt are part of a sad over decade long failure of OL misery that has been the main issue of this team during that time. That is his due!

For a not highly regarded dude coming out of college, he has done alright for himself.

I don't think he really fits this offense, but if we decide to run more plunge ahead power plays, he fits the bill there.

Big strong fella with not the swiftest of footwork, although he has worked on it a lot since college.

I don't dislike him at all but I also hope we have someone starting ahead of him, or he has somehow made a leap this year.

He’s solid he’s probably our starting rg currently

I like Jones' potential. Of the guys we brought back, I like Jones, Hayes, Kion Smith and Wynn as guys who I feel have the ability to be at least adequate starters. Actually, I should add Eich as well. I have been very critical of Eich since we drafted him. And I don't like him as a C or T, but I think he has the potential to be an adequate G. I like his potential less than the others I mentioned first, but he was at that level before injuries forced us to move him again.

I haven't seen enough of the other OL FAs we signed to have an opinion, but I like that we have a lot of bodies there. Building an OL is more about getting the right fit and then giving it enough time and continuity than it is about spending big money or first round picks. Although I think the odds are good that we add another OL in the first round. Even then I don't care whether that potential first rounder starts in year 1. IMO those who worry about whether a first round pick flashes immediately don't understand football and player development.

First, I like the idea of OL/DL in R1. Given that, what no one knows is how the coaches see all these possibilities. Have they already decided on a likely OL combo and have OL lower on their list than FH? Are they happy with the current DL given the likelihood of frequent rotation. Who knows. There are a lot of options and they've watched a lot of tape (why does everyone still call it 'tape?'). I still would like OL in R1, but won't be surprised if it's R2.

I agree. Give Robert Jones his due.

Who's Robert Jones?

Back
Top Bottom